Author Topic: Suggestions for a beginner  (Read 789 times)

Offline tneff

• Trade Count: (0)
Suggestions for a beginner
« on: June 06, 2005, 10:21:26 PM »
Greetings , I am thinking about getting my first black powder firearm. I am not new to guns just to bp , I have no preference between a pistol or rifle at this point but feel a pistol might be more fun. I don't want to waist $$ on something that would be to advanced for a beginner or unsafe because of lack of knowledge. There is noone that I know of the shoots or owns bp firearms , nor do I trust anyone in a store to sell me this weeks special . I have been reading all of the post on the board and am more confusd now than when I started because I have no clue as to what alot of the post are reffering to. Thanks for your help and info.

Offline flintman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Hi Friend,
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 01:27:47 AM »
If you buy a cap and ball revolver just make sure that you do not have a chamber loaded but uncapped and fire the other chambers,and do not forget to use some kind of grease over the balls after you load the cylinder.This will prevent chain fires in your shooting.
 Since you are pretty new to black powder also make sure you use only black powder or an approved substitute.I use Goex Black Powder exclusively,but other shooters like other propellants and all can give you recommendations here.
 I hope that this helps somewhat.
 Jeff. :D
John 3:16

Offline Flint

BEGINNER
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 09:05:04 AM »
Lyman and others have books on black powder shooting, guns and loading procedures.  Go to a gunshop, or Amazon.com and get a few.  

Also, look up in past postings here from Gatofeo  He's thorough in his descriptions, however, the books have photographs which is a big help.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline tneff

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 09:50:23 AM »
Thanks Flint .  :grin:

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 08:59:43 PM »
Gatofeo has a lot of good advice.

For me the caplock six gun is a lot more fun than a single shot, though I have been wanting to build a flint lock, if I can ever find the time.  It's also a bit more complicated than a single shot though it's simple enough you'll learn quik.  My favorite shooters at this time is the 51' navy colt clones, one is Pietta and one is a Uberti.  Accurate, easy handling, natural pointers, 36 cal. uses less powder, has low recoil, and requires less lead(I cast my own balls) and is plenty powerfull(average vel. in mine with 22 grains of Graf's 3f black is 900fps)  Some swere by the Remington replicas, they are superior in design to the colt, but are not the natural pointers, have cramped grips, and are not as elegant looking to me and bind up quiker due to powder fouling.

Stay away from the cheap guns that some importers sell, most require a lot of work to get working rite, then again sometimes not.  Quality seems to vary a lot.  One gun will be near perfect the next will be utter junk with the majority somewhere inbetween.  I've bought from my local Uberti dealer, Cabela's, and Midway.  Cabela's is hit and miss, my favorite navy came from them along with one that was utter junk.  Midway was pretty good but required a little work, nothing major and will order from them again.

I haven't used Taylors but have heard good things about them, along with Cimeron.

All of mine I have had to change from factory nipples to Tresso to fit the #11 cap.  You can get by with factory nips but will have to pinch them to stay on and I use a snail capper and Tresso works great.

If at all posible get the very best one you can, manufacturing mistakes and inexperiance in how to fix them can turn a very enjoyable hobby into a painful experiance.  Though to be honest most of the problems I've seen have been fairly easy to fix with minimul hand tools.

Also if your chambers are rite, and you use an oversize lead ball you won't have anyproblem with a chain fire from the front with or without lube, if your chambers are rite..  What you will have is a quik build up of fouling and posible leading and a tougher time cleaning.  I use eigther a swipe of crisco over the tops of the balls, no need to fill the chambers up, just a good smear.  Or I use lubed felt wads under the ball.  Most chain fires come from the nipple end, eigther the cap gets set off, happend to me once, no damage other than a few minits to dig the ball out of the loading leaver.  Or cap falls off and fire gets in through the exposed nipple.  I have fired thousands of rounds over the years out of everything from walkers to remmingtons down to the navy colts and only had one chain fire so far, and that was due to flame running down the hammer cut out and through a hole I drilled for a breach ring and hitting the bottom cap square.  Filled the hole and had no more trouble.

Good luck and welcome to a hopefully new darksider
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline tneff

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 04:26:35 PM »
Thanks Will , nice read from all that have posted . I was considering getting a gun with a starter kit , what are thoughts on this and can you narrow down and give me some decent models to choose from. Price really isnt an option , I'm not worried about era correctness just a little fun . I have looked at what Bass Pro sells and don't want something that looks like my other guns, I do like the looks of the Navy style . Thanks

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 06:09:22 PM »
A cheap brass framed gun with a kit is a posible starting place.  Not much money invested if you don't like it and everything but powder and caps and balls.  Unfortunatly the gun won't last long if you do like it and will need to upgrade.

All you realy need is a powder flask with the rite sized spout.  Cabela's sells several types, colt, remington, for army, navy, pocket and even dragoon/walkers.  I use a Cabela's colt army flask and I bought the extra spouts they sell to be able to use the same flask with most of my guns.  Other than a flask, get a nipple wrench, .380 balls for most 36cal guns, .454 for most 44 cal guns, Remmington #11 caps, Tresso nipples for your gun(pietta and uberti have differant threads), a snail capper speeds things up but is no neccisary(I did without one for years), Crisco and powder.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline darrell8937

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 10:02:07 AM »
Cabelas has some bigginers kit.. Everything except the powder. A Pietta is fine for beginners but if you suspect you may get into it. a Ruger is tough to beat . Just about as exspensive as a center fire though. Uberti's are a step up from piettas for just a bit more. Lots of fun this is.. You may soon be buying bullet casting stuff  etc.. Make sure you cap all loaded cylinders.. Chain fires can happen thru a un caped primer nipple,, OPPS  I forgot..  Have Fun..