Author Topic: sucessfull Elk Hunt  (Read 1864 times)

Offline PJ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
sucessfull Elk Hunt
« on: November 21, 2002, 01:33:06 PM »
Good to hear you got some meat and then some.I will be going on a late hunt here in Washington ST. wish me luck :grin:

Offline 8rounder

Freebie Elk?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2002, 05:26:51 PM »
Thought I would pass this on to you folks. I was reading the local paper  ( I live around Amarillo,Tx.) where a farmer was cutting milo and found himself looking head on at a 900lb bull elk. He calls the local game warden who tells him there is no elk season in Texas and he can do one of two things, leave him be or eat him. The farmer says it took a front-end loader to get the elk out of his field. He's going to be eating good for a while!

Talk about luck!!!!:D

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
sucessfull Elk Hunt
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2002, 07:17:06 PM »
Now I don't lay claim to no expert status on TX Game Laws but I'm pretty sure that was bad info that fellow got. Might not be a season near him but I'm pretty sure west TX has seasons for elk, mule deer and pronghorn all three. Sure seems ta me I've seen that somewhere.

As many exotic game ranches as TX has and they do have elk on them it was probably an escapee from one. Bet if he could have figured which he could have sold it back to them if it could have been darted.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 8rounder

Elk hunt in Tx.
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2002, 03:11:35 AM »
The Game warden figures the elk came out of New Mexico or Arizona from all the fires they had. We have also been seeing several black bears in this area, thats almost unheard of around here. There maybe a season in West Texas, but apparently not in the Panhandle. The way I see it, if the game warden says you can shoot it without reprocussion, why not? :D

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Is it time to plan for next year?
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2002, 08:52:00 AM »
:-D I ready to start plannig western hunts for next year. Anybody hunt Arizona Coues deer? I thought it would be something to try.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
sucessfull Elk Hunt
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2002, 03:27:54 PM »
Now granted in Michigans U.P we do not have anything but hills so you dont work too hard getting aroung unless it is through the swamps.  But several years ago I went along on a coues deer hunt with my brother in law (who is from Ariz.).  I did not have a tag so just went along with to help spot, give hand/direction signals etc...we were out past Globe.  I NEVER worked so hard to hunt in my life.  Everything around there either stabs, pokes or grabs you.  The terrain is very rough also.  Most of the "locals" I saw either had ground blinds or road hunted.  We did the spot and stalk which worked well.  He got a 3 x 3 western count on the 2nd day.  If you are in an area like we were, be sure to bone out your deer where it lays, cuz if you try to pack it out just gutted you will be sorry.  Last year he was stalked by a mt lion.  It charged within 15' of him several times... he thought he was tender vitals for sure.   But. by the grace of God, for no apparent reason the lion took off just when it seemed like it was all over.  I think I would carry a handgun out there even when scouting.
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Big Tex

Texas Elk
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2003, 02:18:02 PM »
Texas has no restrictions on elk hunting other than having a general hunting license. The reason the ranches started stocking exotics was to extend the hunting season so they didn't have to cover all their overhead in 2 months. Once an exotic escapes, it's fair game to all license holders with permission from the land owner. We do set some store on property rights here. Ther are no ranches stocking exotics near Amarillo, so this beast almost certainly came from NM. NE NM has some really nice elk. I plan to try for one next season.
Gun control means hitting your target