Author Topic: Which tree stand?  (Read 812 times)

Offline Tad Houston

• Trade Count: (37)
  • A Real Regular
Which tree stand?
« on: June 09, 2005, 07:24:20 AM »
Hi all, i'm looking for the best affordable climer that is very quiet to pack and set up. I want to be very mobile with it, so fast easy set up and easy packability is a must.

Thanks for any recomendations, Tad :D

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Which tree stand?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 11:10:19 AM »
you are asking a lot.
 I like the summit stands they are not very moble but are very quiet  and easy to set up even in the dark.

I have an 2000 model extream and it is nice but a little on the small side with heavy winter cothing but I am kind of a big guy at 225 lbs

Offline redneckd1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Which tree stand?
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 12:06:16 PM »
I like the APIs, you'll propably want the bowhunter model with the open front. Make sure it has the chain and not the cable, I have both and the chain is much more quiet. They aren't the lightest, but not heavy either. You still have to deal with pins, but they are fairly quiet to set up, if you are paying attention to what you are doing.
My son has a Summit broadhead, it is light and easy to set up, no pins!! I've used it and like it as well, but seems a little smaller and a little less comfortable than my API.
Find a good hunting store that will let you play with one out of the box, put it on your back and go through the motions of strapping it to the tree, really helps when deciding on a new stand.
Good luck!
Cheers,
R

I'm not broken, but you can see the cracks :eek:

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Which tree stand?
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 12:57:52 PM »
I have found that summit stands meet my needs the best.  All you want is what they offer. JMHO.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
Which tree stand?
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 06:41:36 PM »
tad
first off i will say this
an please no laughing at me all you guys
well im scared of heights :0(
lol but i have a summit shoot think its ther viper xl last years model
it has the bar going across the front that way u cant fall forword :0) an has the extra foot restraints for climbing
an i tell you what
i feel 90% safe in this thing  the other 10% is still from be being scared of heights hahahha
an the climbing harness it comes with is actualy the seat of the pants harness they sell by them selves for about 50$
an the harness works very good
was out this past sping cuting limbs for the mother in law an fell out of the tree about 5 times over the course of the spring an each time that harness grabed on nice an snug  

one thing i did do is i did order a longer safty rope for the harness for about 30$ its a 30 foot rope that holds the harness to the tree an the extra line basicly hangs all the way to the ground just in case some thing happens an the stand gos to the ground you can rapel just about down the tree

all so the stand is very easy to set up an take down
has extra pockets you can get for the rails an a shooting rest atachment for the contender
um an even a camo  blind attachment
well good luck in your discion

dave

Offline Tad Houston

• A Real Regular
Which tree stand?
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 08:35:05 PM »
Thank you all for the advice- just came in the mail today, Summit openshot. Took it out to the pepper farm tonight for hogs, and i really like it! Thing is only 14 lbs. and rock solid and quiet. Love the sturrips and the quick shot cable system. Your right Ricky, this thing would be a breeze to set up in the dark. This thing is going to be very moble though- super light and dead quiet when nested and on my back. Already been crawlin through the thick stuff with it- no problem.

Well thanks again guys  :D

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
Which tree stand?
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 10:12:11 PM »
Slavage,you're not afraid of heights....just the fear of falling from them :lol: .myself I use a 2 peason ladder stand and I'm the only one in it :lol: ...Rick[/quote]
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline iiibbb

• Contributor
Which tree stand?
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 02:33:13 AM »
Quote from: ihuntbucks
Slavage,you're not afraid of heights....just the fear of falling from them :lol: .myself I use a 2 peason ladder stand and I'm the only one in it :lol: ...Rick
[/quote]

It's not the fall that kills you... it's the sudden stop.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
Which tree stand?
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 03:54:25 AM »
Tad,
I just checked out that your stand on the website TO be honest with you I don't care for the open front stands, and it doesn't look like it would be very comfy for long hunts.
Where did you put your weapon when you took it out?

When I hunt with my viper extream I use the front rail as a shooting rest, I will drape  my coat over it and have a makeshift blind I will also run my chain trough it when I secure it to the tree when not in use. when I am using a long gun or bow I will lay it across the bar to keep it handy

Offline Tad Houston

• A Real Regular
Which tree stand?
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 06:01:22 AM »
I mostly bow hunt, so the open front is ideal- no rail in the way of the bow limbs on angled down shot. I use a bow hanger screwed into the tree to hang my bow and gear. You are right about comfort factor, but i dont like sitting in a tree all day anyway, so i mostly spend the first and last few hours of the day. We dont get to hunt the rut here in Ca. so everything pretty much happens in the first and last hours of daylight. Spent 2 1/2 hours in it last night with no problem at all.

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
Which tree stand?
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 09:55:13 AM »
I use the  Summit Bullet Back packer. After 26 yrs of bow hunting I have to say this is my favorite tree climber stand I own. However I am sure there are other good ones out there. It folds down and packs out nice and is very comfortable. I also feel very safe in it.

Norse

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
Which tree stand?
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 06:46:29 PM »
lol yeah its the suden stop that makes me quiver from time to time lol
but never know with all these new age drugs maybe i can get some thing that will alow me to drink more with no hangover climb trees lower the buck feaver an when neaded last a lot longer at night

ahahahhahaha

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
Which tree stand?
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2005, 09:37:25 PM »
Check out the summit clearshot. The seat is attached to the platform. Also, it comes with a hand climber. 16 lbs. and rated to 300 lbs. I have one, and it's the best bowhuntin' stand I've ever seen.  :toast:  And no arm rests to get in the way.  :mrgreen:  Just my :money:  worth
                                                             tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline daddywpb

• Trade Count: (4)
Which tree stand?
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2005, 02:39:25 PM »
Slavage,

I have the same problem - afraid of heights. I put off buying a climber for years because of it. My wife convinced me to give it a try, so I bought a Summit Viper X4 and it's great. The bar in front of me seems to keep me calm. And I like facing the tree and being able to sit on the bar. I have the side pouches on mine also. I use a Gorilla full harness with the Summit prussik knot attached to it. Very secure. I even stepped off the stand once to see what would happen - close to the ground, of course. Surprisingly enough, I'm more comfortable 15 feet up a tree in the Viper than on a 6 foot step ladder at home.