Author Topic: H&R QC....or lack of it!  (Read 1126 times)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
H&R QC....or lack of it!
« on: June 09, 2005, 12:54:58 PM »
I just received my BC back from H&R with a 45-70 barrel fitted to it.....they buggered my butt stock up, took a chip out of the toe, this is pretty poor customer service if you ask me. The missing chip isn't in the box, so it didn't happen in shipping and it wasn't that way when I sent it in...You'd thing they would have noticed it, I mean it doesn't take but a second to give it a once over to find such a glaring mistake on their part!

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Stock
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 01:04:03 PM »
Looks to me like they owe you a stock. Have you called them yet? If so, what did they say?
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 01:09:48 PM »
Joe,

I sent them an email with a pic, asked for a replacement stock, or it to be repaired as new, just did that, so they won't repond until tomorrow since they're closed now. I was real nice, but I sure wanted to say something about their lack of responsibility in the matter as far as sending back to me that way.

Tim

Offline JPH45

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 01:12:51 PM »
I sent a frome in for a 38-55 barrel. Frame had a broken firing pin. They fixed the firing pin and did a trigger job FOC. Get it back, rifle misfires unpredictably. The transfer bar flops around where it didn't do that before. I called, they said send it back, they'd fix it.

That's the problem, they fixed something that wasn't broke, and now they want me to trust them to fix it. Hmmmmmmm...........

I'd call, and ask them for a stock, you can email em a picture. they can tell as much by that as they can by actually having the frame. Tell 'em you don't want it fixed again.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 01:23:45 PM »
I was apprehensive about sending the stock after reading of Deadeye's experience of them messing his stock up and there have been others including Mtjerry's 44mag forend they buggered. But I wanted them to test fire it before returning it, which they did fire it, there's unburned powder in the bore...they didn't bother to clean it either!!!! Sheesh!! What would make me happy is if they send me another stock to replace it, hopefully that's what they do, otherwise they're gonna end up paying to have the broken stock returned to them too, cuz I'm not paying out of pocket for it if I can possibly avoid it when it's their mistake. What a way to run a business!!

Tim

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 01:24:17 PM »
Tim:

Sorry to see the damaged stock. I've seen so many reports of damaged wood, I keep a couple sets of junk wood just for shipping. They have two of my receivers now fitting new barrels, and neither have good wood on them. It's a litttle extra work to swap stocks, but I think it is worth it. Good luck..

Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 01:30:12 PM »
Yup, I thought about that too, but I've been good so far with several, guess my luck ran out!  :(

Tim

Offline JPH45

H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 01:30:55 PM »
That your barrel has unburned powder in it doesn't mean it was fired on your frame. Guess I just don't trust these guys. I probably ought to hush on this topic now.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 01:38:23 PM »
This isn't the first time i've heard of this stuff happening. If i were you i would DEMAND a NEW stock. There is no reason for this kind of crap to take place.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 03:03:27 PM »
Quick, get a new stock, nothing less, if they want the old stock ask for a call tag and don't send in the old stock UNTIL you are happy with the new stock, if they want you to trust them to send you a new stock they have to trust you that you will send in the old stock, you are trustworthy, I know that. If they want the old damaged stock back ask for a call tag, don't pay any shipping!!!. By the way, I always keep and old stock and forearm to send in with any guns going in for new barrels or warranty work also, I think it's worth the effort, they have a reasl history with damaging stocks and lousy return packaging, the forearms usually are loose and bouncing around and get beat up, dented, scratched, and chipped :( ....<><.... :grin:

P.M sent....
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 03:34:28 PM »
The BC forend is another story!!! I think the same gorilla that was installing the spark plugs and wheels on Durangos at Daimler/chrysler has moved from the Newark plant to work at the H&R plant!!! They put the forend on the new barrel, probably to keep it from getting dinged up separately as has happened in the past, the screw was so tight, that I had to use 2 hands on the screwdriver to loosen it!!!

Tim

Offline Mainer

• Contributor
H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 03:49:25 PM »
Quickdtoo:

Your experience with H&R is absolutely outrageous.  In all seriousness, they shouldn't just give you a new stock to make up for the one they've damaged, they should give you a free rifle shipped to your local gun dealer to make up for the inconvenience they have caused you and to try to salvage some of their goodwill.

Seeing what you've gone through, and hearing from others that it is not unexpected, makes me seriously wonder whether I want to do any more business with this company--and I've purchased three new firearms from them in the past six months.

Let us know if they don't set things right and fast.  If they don't I'll be doing business with TC and Spartan Gunworks from here on out.

Mainer
NRA Life Member

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 03:59:11 PM »
Gosh I am real sorry to hear about your rifle Quick. I know I told you guys about my .223 having to be sent back because it would open every time I shot it. Myself I am a owner of a business and I always lived by always do above average work and service for the customers then they will stay customers. It has always worked for me. I wonder if these compliants of QC are getting to the right channels? their is also a flaw on my new .223 barrel I will post a pic tomorrow. I didn't say anything before because....well you guys will see the pic tomorrow and you can decide.  

Norse

Offline Beekeeper

H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 04:36:04 PM »
Well that just stinks. :x  I think the idea of having a 'junker' stock and forearm is the best idea when sending in a gun to them. That pic makes me sick. They should replace that stock with no costs for you.
Zach

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 05:03:41 PM »
well tim i'm sorry to hear that they hurt your stock( but i'll bet they fix it) but what are you worried about you got 5,000,000 handis and this is the first one to get messed up try that with remington.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2005, 05:27:13 PM »
That's what I meant by "maybe my luck ran out!"  :cry:

Tim

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2005, 02:45:51 AM »

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2005, 03:30:37 AM »
Norseman it look as if the gun would not be affected in any funtional way by that small rub or bump on the forearm stub and it will not show, so I do not really see any problem of any consequence. Perhaps I am looking at it differently than some might but these are guns that cost from $89 for a shotgun to $200-$280 for an centerfire or Ultra and just a little over $300 for a Buff Classic. I think we get a great deal for our money. Any "flaw" that you have to disassemble the rifle to see and does not affect it's functioning, considering what we get for our money, is of little consequence to me. My guns are hunting and shooting tools to me, things to be taken care of but to be used and enjoyed, not to be kept in a pristine condition for the next owner to use and abuse. I want to enjoy them myself, so in short I say if it bothers you send it back, it sure would not bother me as long as it was not visible and the gun shot well, heck after a few trips out into the woods or a few hunting trips there will be marks that show!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2005, 05:32:43 AM »
Here's their short and sweet but not so good news reply....

Sorry for your inconvenience we will send a new one out to you as soon as they are available

Tim :?

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2005, 05:36:56 AM »
The gun dose shoot good and its not a mark on the stud, its metal actually missing and I can live with it. Yes I still feel I did get a lot of rifle for the money even though I had to send it back for repair new out of the box . Please don't get me wrong I like handi rifles and did give H&R another chance. I did buy another handi  in .243  and am very happy with it. Guess I was wondering what kind of QC and or workmanship we should expect for the money we do spend. Perhaps QC issues are not sliping with them. I don't know, I hope not because I would like to see H&R do well and I do want to a get more barrels from them.  

Norse

Offline kufford

H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2005, 06:29:56 AM »
If I could take my Handi back, I would. Since I can't, I'll try to deal with this one rifle and then - I'm through with H&R.

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2005, 08:07:48 AM »
Kufford---Did I miss something what is wrong with your Handi??? :?
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2005, 08:12:27 AM »

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2005, 08:22:35 AM »
Oh ---I have slept seance then. Heck I can't remember what I had for breakfast. :oops:
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline jason280

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2005, 01:04:26 PM »
Quick,

Email Diana Lynch, who recently posted the questionnaire on H&R rifles.  I emailed her recently, and she was very quick in responding.  I'm sure she can help out with this situation, and it wouldn't hurt for her to be aware of it!

dianavkslynch@aol.com

Oh, thanks for the .45-120 case!!
"Hey Peter, check out Channel 9!!"

Offline lik2hunt

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I want to acheive excellence, not perfection.
    • Authentic and Genuine
H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2005, 02:01:21 PM »
Quik - Your aprehensions about sending your stock in the first place are well founded. You know of the TWICE that this happened to my Ultra 25-06 and of Deadeye's misadventures also. But like you, I want my gun test fired, sure is a shame it has to be this way on so many shipped guns. :x
I'm thinking of sending my receiver for some barrels during the summer discount. I think I'll just send the metal only.

Contacting DianaL may not tbe such a bad idea.
lik2hunt------>in OK

“The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"
George Washington…. also known as the Father of our Country

><> Galatians 2:20 <><

www.dsheriff.org

Offline Deadeye47

H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2005, 04:12:57 PM »
:shock: Dang!! Now thats what ya call unexcusable!!  :x
" I believe that forgiving them [terrorists] is God''s function. OUR JOB is to arrange the meeting." Gen. Schwartzkopf........AMEN  Norman  :agree:

DECEASED 10-09-05

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
H&R QC....or lack of it!
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2005, 04:47:55 PM »
Yup!!! And I shoulda done what you did, Deadeye, thought about it, but didn't. :oops:  :cry: ....Invited Diana L to read this thread to add to her list.

Tim