BSA (general)
1 (3.7%)
Simmons
9 (33.3%)
somthing i failed to put (plz post it)
13 (48.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: June 09, 2005, 04:29:11 PM

Author Topic: Budget range Varmint/ Tactical scope  (Read 2564 times)

Offline lostsniper308

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
Budget range Varmint/ Tactical scope
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2005, 07:12:17 AM »
ah yes Sportsmansguide.com i've been to their warehouse a few times and ordered many, I checked their Redfields and Simmons but nover quite gave Alpen a chance, are they in line with BSA quality/pricing?

aye i'd say better, a BSA of similar type costs what the Alpen does on sports mans guide. $176-+ for the Alpen from other places.
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
Best Scope
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2005, 08:58:28 AM »
I don't think you can beat Leupold. Made in U.S.A. and guaranteed for life. I have three Leupolds and have never had any problems with them.

Offline MT4XFore

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2005, 09:40:57 AM »
"ls308"
   I tried the Alpen because I've been able to handle and look through BSA's and some of the other "cheapies".  After talking with the Alpen rep at the west coast distributors, I was so impressed I decided to take a chance.  I haven't been dissappointed!  Alpen makes two lines of optics, the high end is the Apex and the "budget-minded" end is the Kodiak.  You can see all their stuff @WWW.alpenoutdoor.com.  As I said, so far, I like mine just fine!!

Good luck,

Jim
You''re only as old as you think you are.....I''m still waiting on puberty, AGAIN!! :eek:

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
    • My Facebook account
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2005, 10:14:27 AM »
hmm can't beat getting to examine it. Leupolds are indeed best of the best but an AO scope of thiers runs $400-or much more. and i can't afford that.

Just what do you mean by the objective bell is sensitive??

Offline MT4XFore

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2005, 10:38:55 AM »
"ls308"
  The front "bell" of many scopes have what is called an adjustable objective.
It is a very necessary device for scopes over about 10X magnification.  It is usually marked with ranges like, 50, 75,100,150,300 yds and finally infinity.  You turn it to the yardage at which you are shooting to insure a clearly focused sight picture with as little parallex as possible.  What I meant about being sensitive was that the Alpen requires adjustment or focusing a bit more than some of my other scopes.  That is not necessarily bad, especially if it works.  On mine, if the target is a little out of focus a small twist on the objective ring will quickly bring it into focus.  In theory, it could be used as a "poor-man's" rangefinder, however, I haven't seen any scopes with adjustable objectives or parallex adjustment devices that are sensitive enough to do that!  Hope this all helps rather than muddying up the water more!
Good luck,

Jim
You''re only as old as you think you are.....I''m still waiting on puberty, AGAIN!! :eek:

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2005, 11:07:19 AM »
I don't mean to butt in on a topic and ask a question but it pretains to the topic so i thought this would be a good place.

What is everyones opinion on the Simmons 44 mag series. I haven't heard much about them and i ran across a deal(or at least it sounds like it is) on one. They don't look like i bad scope but still i would like everyones input.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
    • My Facebook account
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2005, 12:40:21 PM »
yes i know about parallex and the AO Bell and what it does :p i just wanted to know what you meant

I've heard the 44mags are good scopes, It was one of the suggestions early one in this thread and an option was Simmons, Try a google search for Simmons 44Mag reviews.

Here's a great deal on one
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=195732
And heres the rest
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/search/search.asp?r=ad%2Fother&s=SEARCH&a=search&k=Simmons

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2005, 05:30:17 AM »
Quote from: Varminter
I don't mean to butt in on a topic and ask a question but it pretains to the topic so i thought this would be a good place.

What is everyones opinion on the Simmons 44 mag series. I haven't heard much about them and i ran across a deal(or at least it sounds like it is) on one. They don't look like i bad scope but still i would like everyones input.

For the money the 44Mag is a great value. My brother has one(6-20) and it is pretty clear up to about 18 past that it starts getting dark, but you will have that to some degree with most scopes.
 Check out Natchez-they have them for under $100.
Just watch out for the Mil-Dot model, the mil-dots are big.

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2005, 06:50:49 AM »
Actually Sportsman's Guide is where i found the one i may get. I've check a few other places to compare the price they have and haven't found any place that even comes close to there price on it except Natchez and they don't sell to TN residents.

Here's the link to the one i'm thinking about........
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=201811

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
    • My Facebook account
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2005, 07:46:25 AM »
hmm well i say go for it.

Just one thing about Simmons, they have this new Master Series and this series pertaines to most of the orginal scopes they make, except now these Master Series have a 48hr repair/replace warrenty.

http://www.simmonsoptics.com/

Offline 6-24x42

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2005, 11:35:01 AM »
Check out the barska varminter http://www.barska.com/AC10046.htm It's super cheap and works well with a minimal recoil rifle like my 223. :grin:
Hustle, Desire, Discipline :gun4:

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
    • My Facebook account
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2005, 01:12:21 PM »
too cheap for my tastes man. Barska just seems 'Russian' like them Red Star scopes. Plus i got a eye biting .308.

i'm stuck on the Alpen scope, nice reduced price,with a reassuring MRSP, from a trusted seller and a nice name to boot. YA i know name means nothing but sound better than Simmons, Barska, Leupold, or other oddly name companies (no offense to them).

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2005, 03:01:12 PM »
Quote from: Varminter
Actually Sportsman's Guide is where i found the one i may get. I've check a few other places to compare the price they have and haven't found any place that even comes close to there price on it except Natchez and they don't sell to TN residents.

Here's the link to the one i'm thinking about........
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=201811

Don't be fooled by that top pic on your link-that one is a Redfield. The one you are looking for is the one in the second picture and last. I noticed that the other day looking through their site.
Anyway, yeah they are a good scope for the money. Personally I don't care much for illuminated reticles, but a lot of people do. Go to a local gun store and look through one-outside the doors if possible. I believe you will like it.

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
    • My Facebook account
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2005, 06:08:05 PM »
by jove it is a Redfield, guess they be lazy and count on ya to over look it.

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2005, 06:03:43 AM »
Yeah i noticed that when i started lookin at the pics. I think it is a pretty nice scope for the money. Do you know what kind of warranty the 44 mag series has?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2005, 06:07:43 AM »
The 44 Mags have a limited lifetime warranty, good to the original owner only. You won't find them listed on the web site any more since they're discontinued now.

http://www.simmonsoptics.com/ServiceSupport.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
    • My Facebook account
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2005, 06:10:53 AM »
the 44mag has a limited lifetime but these elusive Master Series have a 48hr return policy, maybe its a lifetime after that but nothing is said about that on their site. or perhaps im blind ;)

I was prancing around the site here and i came across a post about the Alpen Kodiak being a rip off and the 3" eye relief aint enough. Care to strike back here MT4XFore? what gun do you have it on anyway?

if it wern't for the price on sportsmansguide i'd rather have the 4-12x40AO Kodiak

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2005, 06:37:29 AM »
The 48hr return policy is their guarantee to replace a scope within 48hrs of receipt.
48 Hour Turnaround Guarantee
For over 20 years, Simmons has been known for producing quality optics at an affordable price, backed by the best consumer service in the industry.

We are so convinced that our Master Series riflescopes meet the highest standards in quality and dependability that we offer the following guarantee.

If any Master Series riflescope is found to have defects in either workmanship or materials we will, at our option repair, or replace it FREE for the original owner within 48 hours of receipt at our repair facility.

And their warranty for most scopes, but not all, is lifetime for the original purchaser...
Simmons Warranty
The majority of our products carry a Limited Lifetime Warranty, pursuant to which Simmons Outdoor Corp. guarantees your product to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the original purchaser. The exceptions to this Limited Lifetime Warranty are as follows: Simmons Fireview, Redline, Compact and Captureview binoculars each carry a one-year warranty; Simmons Rimfire and Red Dot riflescopes each carry a one-year warranty; and all Simmons accessories carry a one-year warranty.

http://www.simmonsoptics.com/ServiceSupport.htm

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain