Author Topic: Need help on a trigger job  (Read 513 times)

Offline Swift One

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Need help on a trigger job
« on: June 11, 2005, 12:24:00 PM »
I have decided to give my handi a trigger job.  I have heard of detailed directions being posted on this forum before but have had no luck finding them in the archives.  Could anyone give me the link(s) or post some VERY DETAILED directions?  I appreciate it!!
It's all a hot mess...........

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 12:36:23 PM »
do what this says and you'll have a great trigger mine brakes under 2lbs (that what i'm told)

the good thing is if you mess up its only about $10-15 to fix it
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline mitchell

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 12:38:14 PM »

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 12:43:18 PM »
Here's Perklo's site from our FAQ...

http://www.perkloafm.com/

And here's Raynor's instructions from the sticky in the Misc H&R Talk forum....

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=52341

Don't over do it, it takes very little honing of the trigger and hammer contact points to reduce the pull, and it will get even lighter as the parts wear. I only use a ceramic hone from a Lansky knife sharpening kit, it's extremely fine. Polish the pin bores and pins with wet/dry 600 or 800 grit paper and you're ready to reassemble. I also use a little Tetra grease on the wear points.

Tiim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Swift One

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 02:10:52 PM »
Thanks fellas. I want to get this done before the upcoming predator season.
It's all a hot mess...........

Offline camsdaddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 02:46:09 AM »
Well I decided last night to try "the trigger". I must say I am not sure what weight it is but I can say it breaks crisp and clean wow. I would like to pass on a few things about the job I did

1. polish very lightly putting it back together often (been said bears repeating)
2. If you are like me and a 1hr job always turns into a 2-3 hr job weather it is truck or motorcycle or home project this is no different
3. Do this in a very clean area sometimes that darn spring may just decided to test its self and can be hard to find.
4.Again read all instructions both sets
5. Read all the instructions both sets before you begin not hmm I guess I should read the inst.
6.Do not do this project at night during a tropical storm the pain of not being able to test your new trigger is painful and not any better in the morning.
7. after you do all the safety stuff and make sure it is put back together
enjoy your handi these are wonderfull guns with lots of people who will guide you in just about whatever endevour you choose to attempt
Thanks everyone

Offline mitchell

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 04:08:01 AM »
here's one thing that i did that i don't see many people talk about. when i did my trigger i wanted one that would brake if i looked at it . so we took it down to where i wanted it and then put open a synthetic stock and beat the crap out of that gun with it cocked. it never went off but if it did i would of bought the parts and started over. even if these are hammer guns you could still be thinking about taking a shot and have your gun cocked, but you decide not to because of something but before you try to put the hammer down boom. you could be in a world of crap. by your own layer guys take them down as low as you like but make sure they wont go off unless you want them to.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 05:43:10 AM »
Just keep in mind that if you go real light, it's gonna continue to wear and be unsafe at sometime in the future, sooner, the lighter you make it. Using some kind of metal enhancing product like Tetra or Moly-fusion on the wear points would be advisable. Rifle Basix incudes Tetra grease with each of their triggers, FWIW.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline camsdaddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 02:59:26 PM »
Oh yeah I forgot my whole intent in my long drawn out earlier post was.
instead of dowels that you cant find in a small town on sat night I found that a golf tees that my brother left a whole bag of,  work just wonderful they are easy to cut and the tapered end helps to line everything up. I knew that I would never play golf but being a pack rat pays off on occasion