Author Topic: HandiRifle Support during Firing  (Read 659 times)

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
HandiRifle Support during Firing
« on: June 12, 2005, 05:20:03 PM »
I've been trying to get my new .223 Handi to shoot for 3-4 weeks now and results are not consistent at all. Not to contradict myself I have shot some good groups so I am convinced that it's me not the rifle and has to do with shooting technique. I've tried several different methods including with a Harris bipod, with and without left hand fore-stock stabilization and with fore-stock support in front of and behind the fore-stock hold down screw. I have lots of successful experience with shooting bolt action rifles but my little Handi is starting to frustrate me because it doesn't handle anything like any bolt gun I've shot. I like my Handi allot so I'd like to learn how to shoot it.

I must admit I have not tried support under the hinge pin as I find it to be awkward. Must I learn how to shoot with support at the hinge pin?

Is there any consensus out there on what is the best way to shoot a Handii

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 05:31:05 PM »
Plain and simple, the forward rest positioned under the hinge pin just ahead of the trigger guard is by far the most accurate technique. Some  Handis/Ultras aren't particular, but the majority are. It's not hard to do at all, just put it there and adjust. You can also get a solid rest that makes it real easy!

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Zeak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Handirifle support
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 01:54:06 AM »
I have been having the same problem so willl try your advise quickdtoo.  Zeak

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 02:24:17 AM »
Check the crowns on those rifles....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
Checking Crown
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 07:49:06 AM »
I had a stainless steel pillar fitted in my fore-stock by a gunsmith last week and when I picked it up I asked him to check the crown for me. Using a Q-tip he brushed the inside of the crown and there was no cotton strands picked up. This evidently proves that no burrs are present. Based on this he pronounced the crown to be O.K.

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 08:38:46 AM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
Plain and simple, the forward rest positioned under the hinge pin just ahead of the trigger guard is by far the most accurate technique. Some  Handis/Ultras aren't particular, but the majority are. It's not hard to do at all, just put it there and adjust. You can also get a solid rest that makes it real easy!

Tim

Where'd you get that rest Quick?  I like it.

McLeron, you can also play with the forearm screw tension and sometimes find a "sweet spot" that the gun shoots most consistantly with.  I do know that they dont' like it when you really bear down on the screw.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 09:53:57 AM »
Wes, it's from Cabelas, a bit spendy at $150, but I got it for a bit over $100 with Cabelas bucks and a coupon..Mac told me about it, so I gotta give him credit for the source.....

Premier Rest

Tim

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 02:30:11 PM »
Quick I was going to ask the same question as Wlscott. So how do you like the rest? I have been using a bench master and that rest your using looks pretty good.

Norse

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 02:45:52 PM »
I forgot to add when I first started using my handi rifles I used a cadwell bag with stock support and for the most part I still use that set up. I started using my bench master to see how my .223 ultra would do and it still shot good.

Norse

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 04:11:50 PM »
I use to use a Caldwell Rock Jr, the Premier is better, much more stable. I also have a benchmaster, but haven't used it much, took a pic of it once, though!!  :lol:

Tim