Author Topic: Kel-Tec .380 soon to hit the shelfs.  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Britt

• Trade Count: (0)
Kel-Tec .380 soon to hit the shelfs.
« on: February 19, 2003, 04:16:24 AM »
It is one ounce heavier than the 32 and built on the same frame. Sounds like a great mini gun. What have you heard.
GUN CONTROL IS KEEPING IT BETWEEN THE 9 AND 10 RING.

Offline Savage

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2003, 02:46:16 PM »
I buy them in twos------one for my wife and one for me. We each have a P-32 and a P-11. I consider the .380 marginaly better than the .32 so guess I'll put my order in for two of them---Looks like I'm going to have to buy another gun safe---
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline I am CAL.........

• Avid Poster
Gun Safe
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2003, 01:57:09 PM »
:D Hello Savage, Ain't no need er buyin no new gun safe cause friends like me will be glad ter help ya stor them air pistols.Be more un glad ter help ya out.I am CAL... :)

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2003, 06:18:57 PM »
Cal,
Do appreciate the offer--I'd better keep them a little closer to home!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2003, 08:46:17 AM »
cknight wrote, "finally a small light pocket gun with decent power..."
What's wrong with the Walther PPK in .380?
I have one and love it. It's small, light and accurate. It's also a design proven for over 70 years.
I don't know how small this Kel Tec is. Is it significantly smaller than the Walther PPK?
Lighter too?
Don't know that I'd want lighter and smaller in the .380 Auto.
My PPK, when loaded with a 90 gr. Speer Gold Dot at nearly 1,000 fps is a little handful. I also tried some Swedish .380 ammo made in 1943 that was quite strong.
Don't know that I'd want a gun any lighter if I'm carrying strong defense loads. The little Kel-Tec (or whatever it's called) might be okay with regular ball ammo, though.
I can't keep track of all the new guns out there. When I first started into guns in the mid 1960s there were less than a dozen major manufacturers to watch. Now there are HUNDREDS. That's good, but confusing as Hell.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2003, 01:55:55 PM »
The current P-32 weighs about 6.6ozs that would mean the .380 version would weigh in at less than 8ozs. OAL is just over 5" it is 3/4" thick and 3 1/2" tall. Yes is is significantly smaller and lighter than the PPK. The Kel tec is also a locked breach design that significantly reduces felt recoil. The blowback design of the PPK punishes the hand durring extended range sessions. The blowback design relies on mass and spring rate to control the recoil velocity of the slide. That translates into more recoil and accounts for the size of the PPK. That said, the PPK is an accurate, reliable weapon.

Offline Britt

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2003, 04:22:48 AM »
They are saying May 2003, cant wait to get my hands on one.

Offline Savage

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2003, 06:19:21 AM »
Too late for me---I owned one of the first P-11s to be had in my area. I recognized it for the value that it was and bought another. When the P-32s came out my wife and I had to have one-----make that two---one for me and one for the little woman. She carries her P-11 in a concealment purse and the P-32 in her pants pocked with the pocket clip. I keep my P-11 as a car gun. Eleven rounds of 9mm allways available plus the eight in the P-32 in my pocket! What to do with the .380??? Wait a minite, I have another pocket!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2003, 04:04:38 AM »
i'm way down on this string but i can't help but saying--that cal is all heart aint he :wink:  :wink:
blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline southernshooter

380 caliber
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2003, 01:30:19 PM »
Do you guys feel well armed with the .380? I sold my colt mustang because I don't really trust anything less powerful than a .40. I know the .380 is better than a sharp stick and the theory that you might actually have the .380 with you instead of leaving the .45 at home. I miss that mustang. Having second thoughts.

Offline Britt

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2003, 01:40:14 PM »
I love my Mustang 380 wouldnt sell it for nothing, sorry for your loss. I have to dress up for work each and every day and all my larger cal. guns dont fit, like my Para P-10. My pocket holster with my 380, tomcat 32, or even 950 .25 cal have to do some days depending on dress. All these guns are used for is a distraction while i get to my car for reinforcements.

Offline southernshooter

mustang 380
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2003, 01:23:47 PM »
I think I am going to have to get another mustang. That is one quality little gun. Not many (any?) 380's fire from a locked breech. The real truth about my glock 27, sig 220, kahr and revolvers are that they are all to big and uncomfortable in the summer. Mustang was just right.

Offline Savage

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2003, 01:49:59 PM »
Southernshooter,
So you too have reached the moment of enlightment. Truth is, size does matter! The only time I'm not packing is in the shower, even then it's close. There are numerous posts on this forum from those who carry full size  handguns 24/7. One even carrys a Redhawk. My hat's off to them! No way I can conceal a full size in civilian clothes in this climate. I have been carrying small handguns in a backup role or even as primary for a lot of years. Good judgement dictates that I allways be armed, but do I need my Glock 21 or my Kimber Target to go to the mail box? Don't think so! When the threat level is low and dress dictates, out come the P-32/P-11 or even the NAA Mini Mag---Not my first choice but sometimes my only choice!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline xnmr53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2003, 02:09:23 PM »
southernshooter,

Take a look at the Milt Sparks VMII holster. I carry a full size 1911 in one, year round in Nevada. In the winter, I use the belt loops, in the summer the clips under a lightweight shirt. One of the smaller .40 or 9mm guns should be a snap for you to carry, and considerably more effective than the .380.

Offline Savage

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2003, 02:55:43 PM »
xnmr53
Milt Sparks makes fine leather, but you still have 2+lbs of full size gun in it. I wear tucked shirts and jeans or slacks most of the time. I just can't conceal a full size in these clothes. I do have the option of carrying in the open with the shield, but don't like to advertise. That's were the pocket guns come in. I have carried a full size in a belly band with a baggy shirt. It beats IWB, but not by much!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline xnmr53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2003, 10:52:28 AM »
Savage,

I wasn't talking about a full-sized 1911 for you guys. I was talking about guns like 9mm Glock 26  (27 oz, loaded w/ 10 rounds) or the .45ACP Glock 36 (27 oz, loaded w/ 6 rounds).  There are .40 caliber and .357 sig models also.

This compares to the 11 oz weight of the mousegun. An old-style Buck lockback knife would eat up most of the difference in weight.

Offline Savage

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2003, 02:17:49 PM »
xnmr53,

I sometimes carry a Glock 36 with a Glock Clip that allows me to carry IWB with no holster. That is with a cover garment or sometimes with a tucked and bloused oversize shirt. I don't think any one gun is  perfect for 100% of the time. Thats why I own and carry several including a 6.6oz P-32 (8 rounds Silvertips) or a 16.5 oz 9mm P-11 (11 rounds of the old Black Talons) and a 22mag NAA revolver (5 rounds of CCI solids). Maybe I'm old and lazy but the smaller guns have a place in my carry arsenal.
They keep me covered on the number one rule of gunfighting! If they alone can't end the fight,  maybe they'll buy me enough time to get to the heavier stuff that I keep close by!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline southernshooter

Sometimes need something smaller than G27
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2003, 03:43:51 PM »
When I first saw a Glock 27 back in about 96, I bought it on the spot. I thought this has to be the best idea, 40 power, small size, and good capacity. It wasn't a mistake, it has been great, but sometimes (only in the summer) even the 27 feels like I have a tumor! I am thinking about a mustang pocketlite or one of those new Kel Tec 380's. As far as a Sig 380 or some of the other brands, they are almost as big a the Glock and don't solve the problem. Para P10 is fat like a Glock. 380 might be the only way to go. Don't trust a 25 at all.

Offline Savage

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2003, 11:44:20 PM »
Guys,
Don't think you can go wrong with the Kel tec products. My wife and I own four between us and have not been disappointed. The locked breech design of the Kel tec allows a much smaller slide to be used as the mass is not needed to retard recoil. More and more people are going to the smaller, lighter guns as the reality of daily carry sets in! That insures compliance with the number #1 rule of gunfighting. Put me down for one, wait, make that two!
Stay Save,
Savage

Offline xnmr53

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2003, 08:20:49 AM »
Savage,

It took me a bit to remember why I am so dead set against mouse guns, because I have had this attitude for so long.

About 25 years ago, I found myself standing behind a roadblock, armed with a .38 snubby and a borrowed deer rifle, backing up an untrained deputy, waiting for a carload of armed robbers.

That only happened to me once. I sold the snubby right after that, and carried my 4" M19 and speedloaders from then on, until I went to the 1911.  Like you, I had thought that I would never need more gun than that snubby.

Offline Savage

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2003, 10:08:33 AM »
xnmr53,
Yep, time was when we figured a chief's special would solve any problem we ran into. Somewhere along the way they sold us on the high volume firepower concept. Things have never been the same! Rather than teach marksmanship, we tried to make up with sheer firepower. Now the average officer can miss at a much faster rate than ever before! This has spilled over into the civilian world as well. The gun rags have convinced everyone that they are at the mercy of the thugs if they don't have a full size gun, three spare mags, a tac light, and a combat folder. Well, got to go load mags for the MP-5 that I carry under my coat----------bye.
Stay Safe,
Savage