Author Topic: H&R 10 guage for slugs  (Read 1196 times)

Offline msorenso

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
H&R 10 guage for slugs
« on: June 13, 2005, 07:25:05 AM »
Has anyone used H&R 10 guage for slugs??? :D
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline MtJerry

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
H&R 10 guage for slugs
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 10:10:22 AM »
I don't have a 10 gauge Hadi, but I just wanted to say .... OUCH!!!!!!!
:D

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
H&R 10 guage for slugs
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 07:18:13 AM »
I would if there were elephant to hunt here in Western NY State...The 2 3/4" Winchester Partition Golds punish my shoulder enough...I can't imagine shooting 3 1/2" slugs out of a 10GA barrel...Ouch.  I'm sure someone here has shot one though...Wait and see...Someone will respond.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
H&R 10 guage for slugs
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 03:22:06 PM »
There were a couple guys on the old board that used to talk about it and it is something that I've been curious about myself. There is a 10ga slug barrel in the barrel accessory plan but I don't have a newer 10ga receiver right now. There is a company that makes a 10 ga slug that they claim can produce 4" groups at 200 yards.

found the link www.nitrocompany.com
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
H&R 10 guage for slugs
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 07:11:05 AM »
Ok, I have two barrels for my 10 gauge. A 32 inch with a Mod choke and 24 inch with full choke. If I could find 10 gauge slugs could I use them in my 32 incher with the mod choke or should I get a different choke for the 24 incher?

I'll be happy to report my results if I can find ammo locally.

Nixter

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
H&R 10 guage for slugs
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 08:03:15 AM »
I'd shoot them out of the 24" barrel...I can't imagine carrying a 32" barrel around in the woods for deer season.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
H&R 10 guage for slugs
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 09:14:04 AM »
Federal for sure makes the slug.  Might have to have a dealer order them in.  Can you shoot them out of the waterfowler or would it be better to use the turkey model???
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline Nixter

• Contributor
H&R 10 guage for slugs
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 09:36:36 AM »
I guess my greatest concern is the choke.

The 24 only has a full...and the 32 has a mod(fixed).
 I relize the 24 would be more woods friendly.

The Nitro site (thank you by the way) was most informative. Where they mentioned polishing, is that similar to burnishing? I'm almost done burnishing my 24 incher (baby steps) and was curious if it was the same thing or similar. Still waiting on the new turkey choke tube, the vendor sent the wrong one... :roll:

I'll take a ride to Gander tommorrow and see if they have any slugs for the 10.

Nixter

Offline gr8gift

H&R 10 guage for slugs
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 06:12:11 PM »
I  have a NEF 10 GA Turkey short camo model. I bought some buckshot loads and a box of 10 GA slugs. I also bought a browning IMP cyl choke tube  to use with them, but haven't gotten out to try them yet. Don't figure the slugs would be all that bad. Not any more weight than the 10 GA turkey loads will post here soon as I get the chance to try them out.
There are no bad hunting days.

Offline msorenso

• A Real Regular
H&R 10 guage for slugs
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005, 04:12:42 AM »
That would be great.  I take it the chokes that you can use with the NEF 10 ga are browing screw in chokes? :D
LIVE FREE OR DIE

Offline gr8gift

H&R 10 guage for slugs
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 05:59:13 PM »
Yes the browning screw in chokes work just fine and fit flush with the end of the barrel. Will have to probably scrounge up a 10 Ga choke tube wrench. It's been a busy spring and haven't shot the slugs yet but will post once I try them in the IMP cyl tube.
There are no bad hunting days.

Offline Nixter

• Contributor
H&R 10 guage for slugs
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2005, 03:39:22 PM »
I've got the buckshot loads as well. But all I have is the stock full choke and a Kicks Gobblin' Thunder triple extra full double turkey choke. (ok I added the double part but you get the idea) It's .690 constriction.

Anyone wanna try this thing here in Wisconsin? It flat out rocks.

Ok back to my point. I'll stroll over to Gander and see if I can find anything interesting in the clearance bin. The local gun shop has a case of spare parts and doodads I could look through as well. Lookin' for a screamin' deal on an improved cylinder choke for this 10 gauge.

Ahh, more projects.

Nixter

Offline hunman55

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (81)
  • A Real Regular
10 ga. slugs
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2005, 04:03:22 PM »
i know this is a h&r/nef site, but i have a stevens 94 that is fitted with a barrel that i got from numrich and cut it to 24 in. no barrel fitting was required. i purchased about 30 rds. of federal slugs from gun shows and as soon as i put sites on it and get the weight to about 12 lbs, i will give a shooting report. also today i found  a h & r topper buck special(md. 162) at a local gun show for $100. been looking for one for years. federal makes the only factory 10 guage slugs i know of.  good shooting, guys. hunman55

Offline tanoose

• A Real Regular
H&R 10 guage for slugs
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 01:58:59 AM »
I  shoot the 10 guage slugs. I have a nef 10 guage with a 32" full choke and i had nef fit a 24" ( actually 23") imp cyl barrel with rifle sights it shoots 2" groups at 50 yards and i have never shot it beyound 50. Federal slugs are what i use they are 766 grains and are brutal on the shoulder . they are now just for backup as i just had nef fit a 12 ga. ultra slug barrel fitted to the 10 ga. frame its 24" and fully rifled and it came with a scope rail.