Author Topic: Handi Barrel/Lug Steel Type  (Read 629 times)

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Handi Barrel/Lug Steel Type
« on: June 14, 2005, 04:05:48 PM »
Does anyone know the designation for the type of steel employed in Handi barrels and lugs?

I've always considered 4XX series stainless steel to be non-weldable as the chrome and carbon act together during the welding process and cause cracking on cooling. Does anyone know anything about NEF weld procedures for the breech lug to barrel weld?

The same pretty much applies for chrome/moly steels.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Lug
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 12:26:08 PM »
I heard a few years ago that they were electron-beam welded
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline JPH45

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 01:27:38 PM »
Having worked as a welder for the last 28 years, I'd bet my house that the lug is either MIG or TIG welded. You can see plainly where the lug edge is cut to allow for penetration, you can see clearly where the weld is ground, and at teh edges you can clearly see the edges of the weld puddle. While it is possible that the welding process is performed by a robot, I'd bet my bottom dollar there is some fella up there wishing he got paid more for making all the great welds he makes......

Electron welding is super a hitech process that is well beyond the means of a company makeing a product like the NEF.

If in doubt, TC and SSK and Bullberry use TIG welding to make their barrels, why should we think that NEF uses a technology that is a speciality even in the aerospace industry?  

But don't take my word for it, call and ask.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 02:32:45 PM »
The forearm bolt stud for sure is a fusion weld, four 1/16" penetrations. I know because I cut one off with a cold chisel.

I thought lug would be done the same way, maybe not?
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline JPH45

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 02:59:02 PM »
Quote from: Fred M
The forearm bolt stud for sure is a fusion weld, four 1/16" penetrations. I know because I cut one off with a cold chisel.

I thought lug would be done the same way, maybe not?

Perhaps by "fusion weld" you mean spot weld. That does seem to be the process they use there. I don't think it would be possible to get the required penetration for the joint of have the needed strength with spot welding the lug to the barrel.

The great advantage of spot welding the forelug would be a very close control of the heat. I don't know where in te process they add theforelug, but spot welding would offer the advantage of not needing to be stress relieved. The depth of pentration of the spot welds would be measured in thousandths, heat transfer is miniscule, a great process for that application, but jsut not strong enough to keep the barrel in the frame on firing.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Ricci Price

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 05:51:08 PM »
I guess I'm the only one that has been here, welded my lug up to fill and remill the hinge fit. Used a air mister to cool the inside of the chamber, blowing out the barrel from chamber to end of barrel. My concern was with cracking after cooling but it didn't happen. I don't know what the lug is made of but it didn't harden, it stayed soft. I used a tig rig and a 309 filler rod which is a carbon steel/stainless rod. This was done on 25-06 ultra barrel.