Author Topic: THE HANDI 30-06 READY TO GO  (Read 496 times)

Offline lonewolf5347

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
THE HANDI 30-06 READY TO GO
« on: June 16, 2005, 08:39:41 AM »
I finally got the Handi set-up ,just had to waite for the weaver rings in (high)
that I pick up off of E Bay will see tomorrow how she shoots.I did also have a problem even with the High weaver rings set-up,the scope I wanted to use did not work the rear adjustment ring was hitting the hammer ,so I went with a older Tasco(made in Japan) I had laying around that came off of a 7mm mag:many moons ago :D
I will try IMR 3031 for the first time out,I loaded a dummy round to see how much to seat the bullet,man that round went across the room when I broke the action open,I think the empty brass cases will fly  :D  :D

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 10:12:05 AM »
Good luck with your 30-06.

Norse

Offline lonewolf5347

• Avid Poster
HANDI 06
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 06:48:53 AM »
I got to the range to day and finally got to shoot the Handi,seems I had two problems but I do thunk one was my fault the other may have been a bad primer.I did notice on one shot the handi broke open on it's own,I do think I did not really snap it shut all the way,the other problem I found the hammer drop and there was a delay for the round to go off,otherwise it shot excellent.
I also found on one shot that if the action is not in the full break position it will chamer the round ,but did also break open on her own(my fault)
I tried IMR3031 seem to group a little tighter at higher charges 2700
Otherwise had no complaint about the gun ,best group was about 6 shots inside a 2" circle at the 100 yard target,I think the gun shoot better then me  :D  :D

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 08:13:53 PM »
I use my 30-06 for long range shooting, 250 to 500 yards.  I use IMR-3031, it gives the best consistancy and tightest groups.  I like Sierria's 165gr HPBT.  One thing I have learned is to never shoot more than three shots at a time.  Otherwise the barrel heats up and starts stringing them vertically.  All my shots at wildlife are from a cold barrel anyway.  At the range I will shoot two shots then lay it aside and shoot something else for a while, then go back to it after the barrel cools.  I can bust a 4" clay target at 300 yards all day long.  I can hit it two out of three times at 500 yards.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline lonewolf5347

• Avid Poster
Handi-06
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 12:34:01 AM »
I did notice stringing shots vertically when the barrel starting to warm up ,I have a pratice not shoot more then  4 round an end. :D

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 11:42:53 AM »
For Big Game (Caribou, Moose, and Bears) I like to use the Nosler 180 Partition.  I got a nice Caribou last August, a 250 yard shot.  He was running and I hit him a bit high, took out both lungs.  I also got a Cow Moose in November, a 200 yard uphill shot.  Hit her right between the eyes, she just dropped her head, never kicked.  

But since I am in Grizzly country I like the ejectors on my Handis, helps in speedy reloading.  Makes a difference when what you are shooting at can turn around and eat you.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.