Author Topic: New Stock Recieved  (Read 474 times)

Offline Hildy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
New Stock Recieved
« on: June 16, 2005, 01:15:01 PM »
The UPS truck showed up an hour ago with my new Choate Varmint/Target thumbhole stock. Got it mounted up to my 25-06 and went down to my pond to see how it would shoot.

The range is just shy of 100 yards and shooting from the bipod I managed a group just over an inch. I only shot one group to see where it was at on paper. POI didn't move at all from the original laminates.

I was shooting Federal 90 grain Sierra Varminters. Haven't shot it with the reloads yet. Things should tighten up once I clean the barrel and eliminate the copper fouling as it was starting to get larger groups even with the original stock. When I get to shoot it from a more stable rest and clean the gun I will post group sizes again.

Overall, the stock is very comfortable and seems lighter than factory. The gun does kick a little harder too. This thing will be great for shooting whistlepigs. The forearm tightened up the way the gun opens and made it stiffer so it doesn't just 'fall' open.

When I can get around to it, I will take some pictures and put them up. :D

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
New Stock Recieved
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 02:04:59 PM »
Glad your stock is working out for you. I bet it looks nice on your 25-06 handi. I been thinking of getting one of them for my .223. Did you get the fore end with it?

Norse

Offline Hildy

• Avid Poster
New Stock Recieved
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 02:14:29 PM »
Yes, I purchased both the stock and forearm. Got it from Brownells. Total came to $93.75 shipped to my door.

Offline Oklahoma Lefty

New Stock Recieved
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 03:00:17 AM »
Got a question. What Bipod do you use for that stock? I've never shot using a bipod so I was wondering which one to order in I got that stock for my 243. Thank you.

Offline Hildy

• Avid Poster
New Stock Recieved
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 03:07:05 AM »
I'm using an Outers 9-13" bipod on that and the curvature of the mount seems to be perfect for that stock. Nice and tight mount up with only a little side to side roll. I was told by pascalp that this can be fixed by putting small pieces of wood inbetween the mount and forearm though.

Any bipod that mounts to a swivel stud will work such as Harris, Outers, Stony Point, and a few others I can't think of right now.

Offline pascalp

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
New Stock Recieved
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 04:10:51 AM »
Hildy,
i'm glad that it work for you too.
For the recoil more perceptible, i think about 2 causes, weight and axis. The choate stock is more "inline" with the barel so the recoil is straight in your shoulder.
Have fun.