Author Topic: Gun Value  (Read 473 times)

Offline kevtn

• Trade Count: (0)
Gun Value
« on: June 20, 2005, 01:41:30 PM »
I received a Topper Buck 162 after my grandfather passed away. I would love to hunt with it but Im scared I will damage it. Is it an antique and what would be the worth.  Thanks

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Gun Value
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 12:31:45 PM »
I have been very casually looking for a 162 for a while. Is it a cyl bore with open sights? If you look at the faq over on the centerfire forum in the FAQ section there is a list of dates as they correspond to serial #. These guns are not very valuable even in pristine condition. It was meant to use so get it out there in the woods and let it do what it was meant to do. You are not going to hurt as long as it's in good condition it should be a fine hunting arm. If you don't know how to determine if it's in shootable condition go to a gunsmith or some other expert to be sure. Post a pic if you get a chance and tell us how it shoots.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline kevtn

Gun Value
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 02:06:59 PM »
The gun accounted for the death of two deer last year.  I have shot it...it will make a man of ya!  It is the cylynder bore with the open sights. Is there a way to tame it down any? There is a hole drilled in the stock if you takes the butt plate off. I cant think of anything better than taking a deer with my grandfathers gun.

Offline kevtn

Gun Value
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 02:14:16 PM »
Markus thanks for your help, the gun was manufactured in 1975

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Taming Down
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 11:38:45 PM »
I haven't actually tried this, YET.  I have read on this forum of someone putting a stack of nickels in the Bolt Hole in the stock.  Any weight you can add will help with the recoil.  I am assuming that is what you meant.
Is there a way to tame it down any? There is a hole drilled in the stock if you takes the butt plate off

You may also want to try a Limb Saver or some other brand of 'slip on' recoil pad.  Limbsaver also makes grindable pads that can be fitted to the stock.  I have also seen some "Managed Recoil" loads advertised.  You may want to check those out.  I, honestly, don't know much about the balistics of these loads, but I am sure they will be more expensive than the normal loads.
Good Luck and YES, please post some pics when you get a chance.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Taming Down
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 11:41:06 PM »
I haven't actually tried this, YET.  I have read on this forum of someone putting a stack of nickels in the Bolt Hole in the stock.  Any weight you can add will help with the recoil.  I am assuming that is what you meant.
Is there a way to tame it down any? There is a hole drilled in the stock if you takes the butt plate off

You may also want to try a Limb Saver or some other brand of 'slip on' recoil pad.  Limbsaver also makes grindable pads that can be fitted to the stock.  I have also seen some "Managed Recoil" loads advertised.  You may want to check those out.  I, honestly, don't know much about the balistics of these loads, but I am sure they will be more expensive than the normal loads.
Good Luck and YES, please post some pics when you get a chance.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
Gun Value
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 01:45:07 AM »
that was me, and yes the nickel idea works great, just put as many as you want for balance and then pack the rest with paper or packing peanuts or whatever.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.