Author Topic: premier grade ultras?  (Read 710 times)

Offline beckerhead

• Trade Count: (0)
premier grade ultras?
« on: June 23, 2005, 09:20:13 AM »
has anyone ever done a complete external redo? that is mirror polishing and deep bluing all metal & adding on of those fancy rollover stocks, or possibly a thumbhole job, and contrasting the reciever stamping with gold or sumthin'. and what about custom engraving? is it practical, well no, but then again half the fun of a handi is taking a basic pedestrian rifle and making it your pride and joy. any pics would be cool!

Offline beckerhead

premier grade ultras?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 09:27:08 AM »
just saw the 204 pds done by Wlscott. WOW that is a sweet stock. who, where, how much, and all that?

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
premier grade ultras?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 09:38:19 AM »
I have started doing just that with my 204 Ruger Handi.

I haven't done anything with the metal, but I did finish a stock for it.  It turned out pretty nice.  I might try polishing the metal before I try to put a new blueing finish on it.

I got the stock from Gunstocks Inc.  They're semi finished stocks, so you have to do some sanding and fitting.

That particular stock will cost you $45.00 for the forend and probably around 70.00 for the buttstock (I can't find the exact buttstock on their web site).  

The address for Gunstocks Inc is www.gunstocksinc.com
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
premier grade ultras?
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2005, 09:55:59 AM »
Wes...Yours turned out real nice...I like your raised comb on it too...

Well...mines not engraved.. nor is it gold/silver filled...but it does have a nice custom stock on it.from Gunstocks Inc as well.....here's my 243 Ultra..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline beckerhead

premier grade ultras?
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 10:06:36 AM »
do they have those stocks for a lefty?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
premier grade ultras?
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 11:58:17 AM »
Why don't you give them a call...

Gunstocks Inc.

3120 Post Ave.

Bedford, Iowa  50833

Phone # 712-523-3513

Mac

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
premier grade ultras?
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 01:50:59 PM »
Wlscott and Mac

Those handis look really nice!!!
The fore end is really long to, wow.  8) so tell me........you guys free float the barrel? If so how?

Thanks

Norse

Offline Zeke Menuar

• Avid Poster
premier grade ultras?
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 04:29:00 PM »
Wonder if the buttstock would fit a Buffler Classic?

ZM
Official Guardian of the Arsenal of Paranoia

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
premier grade ultras?
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 05:36:18 PM »
Any stock made for a Handi will fit any Ultra/BC/Shotgun/Sportster frame, they're all the same.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
premier grade ultras?
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 05:46:48 PM »
Quote from: Norseman112
Wlscott and Mac

Those handis look really nice!!!
The fore end is really long to, wow.  8) so tell me........you guys free float the barrel? If so how?

Thanks

Norse

Yep...by sanding it down to be 1/16" gap all the way around it...I used a thicker o-ring on it than what Quickdtoo recomends for the normal Handi...my 243 Ultra barrel is coming out...and I'm dedicating the Gunstocks Inc. stock to a 270 Ultra-Comp barrel....I was going to do that for my 25-06 barrel..but I elected to have it rebored to 338-06 and it's off the same frame my 243 and 30-06 Ultra-Comp is fitted too...so...I'll have have the 270 fitted to a different reciever I have..Once it's fitted...I'll be glass bedding the fore-arm..and steel bedding the reciever to the barrel.. ( Thanks Fred M. :D )...this one will stay a 270...2 extra's I do plan on doing soon ...that would be to add a Morgan adjustable recoil pad to the stock...and having a steel forearm spacer and trigger gaurd nickle coated to go along with it...that should really dress it up a bit ehh...

I just love playing around with these rifles... :wink:

Mac

Offline jeff223

premier grade ultras?
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 12:47:41 AM »
those handies have some sweet wood on them for sure :toast:

no more "PALLET WOOD" for these guys :)

Offline beckerhead

premier grade ultras?
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 03:54:20 AM »
Wow, I am inspired! those are some awesome pieces guys. just need a little $$$ and I'm off and running on a new project. I'm thinking the thumbhole stock, and schnabel forend on a stainless handi would be pretty classy.

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
premier grade ultras?
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 04:19:47 AM »
Quote from: beckerhead

Becker, mine came with double palm swells, and I sanded the left swell down quite a bit.  You could do the same if you got the same stock.

I believe they do offer the roll-over comb in a lefty version, but you'd have to call and ask to make sure.

Mac, I like the forearm and grip caps on that stock.  

I'm thinking about sanding my forearm stock out some more and glass bedding it.  Did you bed it all the way back to the pivot point, or just to the barrel lug?
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
premier grade ultras?
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 04:06:18 PM »
Thanks Mac,

Now I am wondering if I should order those stocks for my .223 ultra and .243 or do sanding on my current stocks or glass bed. I am thinking of glass bedding because I think it would be more stable than the O ring. I use post cards I cut out and that works and the rifle is real consistent. Glass bedding seems to appeal to me more. I remember Perklo's post about glass bedding his .243 and it was very helpful. I never glass bedded before but perhaps I will  give it a go. I guess I can order those stocks and keep my other ones for more handi barrels. Those stocks sure look sharpe you guys did a good job.

Norse.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
premier grade ultras?
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 04:20:13 PM »
Quote from: Wlscott
Quote from: beckerhead

Becker, mine came with double palm swells, and I sanded the left swell down quite a bit.  You could do the same if you got the same stock.

I believe they do offer the roll-over comb in a lefty version, but you'd have to call and ask to make sure.

Mac, I like the forearm and grip caps on that stock.  

I'm thinking about sanding my forearm stock out some more and glass bedding it.  Did you bed it all the way back to the pivot point, or just to the barrel lug?

As soon as I get my 270 Ultra-Comp barrel...it will be a full bedding job...fore and aft...I'll dedicate these stocks for this paticular barrel...I've already taken the drimel tool  to it some..to rough it up enough for the Acraglass to hold on it.....I'll just have to do some minor sanding down at the spacer end on it..

Norse...Thanks...it was a labor of love on it...and it really draws the looks when I have it at the range..I still might put a few more coats of Tru-Oil on it before I'm totally satisfied.... :D

Mac