Author Topic: 38/55 ACCURACY  (Read 1017 times)

Offline missed_shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
38/55 ACCURACY
« on: June 26, 2005, 01:16:17 AM »
I just got a target 38/55.What accuracy should I realistically expect from this gun at both 50 and 100 yds ? What can be do to make it more accurate . I know about trigger pull & spacer ring under the barrel. Thanks
DONUTS - IS THERE ANYTHING THEY CAN'T DO ??- HOMER SIMPSON

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
38/55 ACCURACY
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 02:04:22 AM »
hi missed shot .
i have a buff classic  done the oring and just recently put a pice of leather in front of the barrel screw to float the barrel it works a treat very tight groups. now i will bed it properly.you should try the leather and see if it improves the accuracy .
bernie
if its feral its in peril

Offline JPH45

38/55 ACCURACY
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 04:14:41 AM »
I'm curious, what kind of accuracy are you getting? I'm using a load, equivilent to 7.2 grains of Blue Dot, under the Lee 379-250- RF, the load shoots into 1 to 1 1/2" at 50 yards, 3 shot or 10 shot groups, it don't matter. It will consistently put 2 of 3 into quite nearly the same hole, then one will be out by 1" or so. Load shoots the same with the Lyman 379449, a 264 grain GC. The Lee over 16.5 grains of 2400 shoots the same as the Blue Dot load. I've done nothig to accurize my rifle except to open the forearm screwhole with a rasp so there is no binding of the forearm against the frame. For comparison, the best I can shoot any of these loads off hand is 3" Offhand, I miss a 5" late 1 or 2 rounds of 10 at 50 yards.

Now it gets interesting, the rifle, with the Lyman bullet over 25.5 grains of 4198, will shot 3 of 3 into one hole, quite literally; it will put 10 into 1". 25 grains of 1680 shoots equally as well. 28 grains of 1680 shoots equally well, but IS NOT A LISTED LOAD!!!!!!! Accurate Arms shows 28 grains with a 250 grain lead bullet at a pressure of 33,600 CUP. (375 Winchester data) A bullet 15 grains heavier is a significant change, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Bullet is traveling circa 1900 fps out of the 28" tube

I've done enough shooting of pistol powders in rifle size cases that I don't think they yeild the best accuracy the rifle is capable of. they doesn't mean they don't shoot good, is just means that there is a definite difference between how pistol powders and rifle powders burn and perform in the barrrel. Plinking loads with pistol powders are just that, plinking loads. If they let you hit a Coke can 9 of 10 shots every 9 of 10 shots, I don't know how it gets better. Understand the cavet is this....put a Coke can at 50 yards, and shoot it. If your shooting area allows the can to roll about ont the ground when hit, that is even better, as the angle you see the can from with for each shot will change with every hit. Hitting this 9 times of 10 will allow you to strike a death blow on any animal of 5 pounds to 5 tons at will.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
38/55 ACCURACY
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 04:32:18 AM »
While I don't have a Handi in this chambering, I have a lot of experience with several other .38-55s.  I haven't used jacketed bullets except for hunting; all accuracy shooting has been with cast bullets.  I cannot see why you can't ultimately reach the accuracy level of other similar-powered Handi rifles using the same sights, certainly under 2 moa.

Cast bullets must fit the throat, not the bore.  Many .38-55 reamers cut large diameter throats for bores between .375" through .379", and the bullet must fit the throat for full support.

Pressures should be kept low for best accuracy, with velocities between 1150 and 1300 fps.  I have had best grouping with SR4759, H110 and Unique.  These used the RCBS 250-grain bullet without GC and an LBT 275-grain pointed bullet.  In my dedicated cast bullet target rifle with 16x scope I shot CBT matches with aggregates under 1 moa and individual groups occcasionally near 0.7 moa.  It isn't easy to get this level of accuracy from any cast bullet rifle, but attention to detail in casting, loading and especially in shooting makes a big difference.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
38/55 ACCURACY
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 05:26:54 AM »
Missed-shot, If you do a search using the search function at the top of the page, you'll find all the info you need on the 38-55. Select the NEF/H&R Centerfire forum from the drop down and hit the "search for all terms" button. Of all the H&R calibers, the 38-55 is probably the most contrary to shoot accurately, the tips you find in the search will tell you what you need to do to shoot them well.

Tim :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline missed_shot

• Avid Poster
38/55 ACCURACY
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 12:14:55 PM »
I'm getting 1.5 in. groups at 50 yds. My 45/70 does much better. That is the reason for the question. If 1 to 1.5 in. groups is the best I can get using the 38/55 than I'm satisfied . I don't hear much of the 38/55 over 50 yds. Can it be used for shooting at 100 yds and if so what group should I expec ? Right now I get 1.5 at 50 and 5-6 in. groups at 100 yds.. To me a 6 inch group at 100 is not satisfactory. My Buff Classic 45/70 gives me 3 inch groups at 200 yds. I consider that accurate with the williams target sight.
DONUTS - IS THERE ANYTHING THEY CAN'T DO ??- HOMER SIMPSON

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
38/55 ACCURACY
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 12:22:49 PM »
Well, FWIW, I just bought a 38-55 Target, took it straight to my gunsmith and am having it rechamber/rebored to 405 Winchester, that 28" barrel has got to be good for something!!! No offense meant to the 38-55 shooters, I gotta admire you'all for your determination and hard work to get decent accuracy out of em. :agree: :agree: :agree:

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline JPH45

38/55 ACCURACY
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 05:33:12 PM »
Sounds odd that you go from 1.5" groups at 50 to 5 or 6 inch groups at 100. I haven't shot mine at 100 as yet, but your figures make me wonder about if some kind of destabilization is happening. Do you know the muzzle velocity of your load? If the bullet is passing through the sound barrier (app 1050 fps) this could be a problem, but if we are talkin gabout the Lee bullet it would surprise me, wadcutters are far more notorious for this, even when started below SOS they will destabilize after 50 yards. How are you sizing them, are you sizing at all? I find that both the bullets I'm using, shoot a tad tighter when I pan lube 'em and don't size. But I usually run 'em through my sizer because it's more convenient.

As to the power of the 38-55, even starting 250 grainers at 1300 fps you have the equvilent of a 44 Mag, 100 yards should be easy game range. The 38-55 had quite a reputation in times past as a cartridge good for deer and bear out to 150 yards, loaded to 375 Winchester velocities it should easily perform quite well to 200 yards. It also had quite a reputation on the target range for outstanding accuracy out to 300 yards.

It is no secret that the NEF 38-55 chamber/bore/groove dimensions leave something to be desired, and I've no question that these keep us from seeing the "Target Model" accuracy one might expect a rifle so named to possess. I'm quite pleased that mine will keep my freezer filled, and that is what I was searching for.

As a target rifle goes, I would never look to an NEF for that anyway. A target rifle in my opinion does not shoot 3 into less than 1", it shoots 10 into less than 1/2" in 2 minutes or less, 1/4" is even better. While I'm sure this won't hold with others here, my experience with the H&R/NEF rifle is about the same as that I've had with any run of the mill 94, 336, SSK and Mini 14 and a bunch of military bolt rifles I've ever shot; they shoot 1.5-4" at 100. They can be coaxed to do a bit better, but it'd take a lot of convincing to make me think that such can be done on demand, any time, everytime.

I read a lot about the fine groups some get, but most of the pictures I see of groups shot from the same gun over time run more to 1.5" than less than 1". I don't mind a 1.5" rifle, thats dang fine accuracy for a hunting gun or a plinker.

If you are shooting the Lee bullet, I don't think it will shoot well above 1400-1500 fps, if you are trying for higher velocity, try using a gas check design.

Don't know if any of that helps, hope it does in some way.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc