Author Topic: Cataract removal, easy or hard to do?  (Read 965 times)

Offline 4pwr

• Trade Count: (0)
Cataract removal, easy or hard to do?
« on: June 28, 2005, 12:38:33 PM »
Has anyone had cataracts removed? Is it a very involved procedure with a hospital stay or is it done in a well equiped office. Also aprox how much does it cost. Would really like all I can learn if you have had this done. I am more than concerned and a little scared.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 08:36:02 PM »
I never had it done so I do not know the cost. That also would not mean anything as I suppose different parts of the country may charge different. I can tell you lay your fears to rest even though I know that can be hard to do. I know folks that have had it done and they go in and do one at a time at it is a out patient thing no hospital stay. They said it was a snap. The folks that do these things are good at it. I know a strange new thing can be scary. I felt the same way when I had a angiogram and it was a piece of cake but I was worried about it before I did it. I think that is just human nature. Have it done you will see better again and there is nothing to it from what I have heard of folks that have had it done. GO for It. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 02:45:36 AM »
4pwr:  My Dad had cataracts removed from both eyes while I observed the procedure as he is an old guy.  The procedure seemed to take only about 5 minutes.  The local eye anesthetic was topical (drops) and overall relaxant, the main anesthetic was very short lived and without after-effect.  Now my Dad is a retired Anesthesiologist, who never stops talkin' yet he didn't even know that either anesthetic had been administered.  Honest 4pwr, it was almost the funniest thing I have ever seen.  

Here he was, on the cart in the hospital - it is an outpatient procedure and he was in the hospital for less than an hour or so - chatting away with his old friends (Drs. and Nurses) and the doctor tells him to not talk for a minute, so Dad shuts up - and then when he woke up about 5-10 minutes later he picks up on the conversation right where he left off without even knowing that he had been 'out' for a few minutes and that the cataracts in his eye had been removed.  That was the funniest part, especially for a guy who never shuts up.  Needless to say, Dad was mightily impressed.  They gave him a perforated eye patch to wear for a couple of hours and told him to go home and take it easy.  End of story.  

They pulled the same thing on him for the next eye and it was just as funny.

I know some medical procedures can seem daunting and very anxiety producing but I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how easy it goes and how quickly your vision returns.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 02:58:36 AM »
Gee Mikey, I feel better after such a calming reassurance, and I don't even need the surgery.   :)

My Dad had his cataracts removed a few years back, and If I'm not mistaken, he also had a Lasik procedure done at the same time.

Said he hasn't seen so good since he was 20.

:lol:
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 03:05:58 AM »
My dad had his done in Dec 04 and said it wasn't so bad and he can see better than ever and pretty painless.

Norse

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 04:06:23 AM »
A few years ago the eye Dr. called me. Seems my Mom was to have one eye done at a time, on different days. She was expecting to drive home from the first procedure that day. Dr. said she probably could, but he was worried about insurance.... (She didn't want me to worry, didn't tell me.
She thought it no big deal)!

Offline clodbuster

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
cataract surgery
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 09:41:32 AM »
4pwr  When it comes to cataract removal I believe it's difficult if you have to do it on yourself, but fairly easy if a qualified doctor does it on you*&$%^&!!!!!!!!!!
Preserve the Loess Hills!!!

Offline 4pwr

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 01:37:45 PM »
Dear clodbuster. Please respond. I would like to to know the reason for your juvenile post.

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 02:56:05 PM »
why not try webmd.com and see what they say.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline clodbuster

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
cataract surgery
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 02:59:40 PM »
4pwr   Just going for a little cheerful humor.   Facing any operation can be depressing and a laugh can help relieve the tension.
Preserve the Loess Hills!!!

Offline 4pwr

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 04:22:28 PM »
Clodhopper,its ok. Thanks for the reply.

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 05:59:25 PM »
One of the guys I used to work with had it done on one eye, he had 3 days off before he had to go back to work. No problems.
A note on HUMOR:, you can tell the eye doctor: an oriental fellow was at the eye doctor and the doctor told him he had a catarack, the oriental fellow said no no I drive a RINKCON.  :oops:

Gun Runner

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 09:06:52 PM »
Boy gun runner your aging your self on that one. I kicked the slats out of my cradle when I first heard that one.  :)  :)  :)
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline unspellable

• A Real Regular
more
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2005, 08:19:03 AM »
My dad had his natural lenses removed because of cataracts and had artificial ones installed.  Because of the artificial implants he had to be pretty careful about taking it easy for a few days.  But after all was done he threw away his glasses.  The old glasses were pretty thick.

Offline ZIABOY

Cataract Removal
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2005, 08:29:06 AM »
Had both eyes done this year. Wow what a difference. What a beautiful world we live in. The procedure is relatively fast and painless. in fact, no pain involved. Each procedure took Appx 2 hours start to finish. They start by prepping you, and then in about 15 minutes the old lens with cataract are removed and new lens installed. Quicker than a lube job on your truck.

Do to the anestetics used, you will have a mucky feeling in the eye for about 18-24 hours.

I just can't get over how blue the sky really is.

I still need help in reading but a drug store set of reading glasses does the trick.

As far as my shooting equipment goes I had to readjust the lens' on my scopes to match my greatly improved vision. And I can use iron sights again.

Depending on your insurance medi care included the cost is about $400.00 per eye. Depends on your location.

This is a lifetime procedure. In my opinion don't waste time.
When I had mine done there were folks in their 70's and 80's getting their's done. Remember the longer you wait the longer you lose.

Any more questions please PM me.

Good Shooting

Offline dirtdobber47

catract removal
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2005, 04:33:38 AM »
I had both eyes done five years ago, best thing I ever did. Mine was done in the surgeons office, the eyes were done two weeks apart. Check out your doctor and then do it you won't be sorry. You will not believe the colors after the surgury.