Author Topic: Plains Pistol Barrel Loose  (Read 485 times)

Offline kjeff50cal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Plains Pistol Barrel Loose
« on: July 01, 2005, 04:19:23 AM »
I built a CVA Plains Pistol from a kit 3 years ago and since then I've shot it fairly regularly (it is in rotation for my weekly forays to the range). last week I shot it (at the 25 yard range) and instead of getting nice 2" to 3" groups (BTW this is the one with the 6" barrel & I had to add a rear sight to it when I built it) I got 6" to 8" patterns  :shock: 4" high & that much to the left of the X ring. I was stumped. I varied the loads (from 25 grns to 45 grns FFFG, Elephant) & adjusted the rear sight to no effect. Then before loading another shot I grabbed the warm barrel and wiggled it. It was loose  :eek: !!! The barrel is held in by a pin instead of a proper wedge but the barrel has a hanger to fit a wedge (that is where the pin went ) How do you enlarge the hole to fit a proper wedge to the barrel?

kjeff50cal
Ignorance leads us into the darkness, Knowlege leads us out.

Offline Flint

• Trade Count: (0)
loose
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 05:50:30 AM »
I would suggest looking at Dixie Gun Works website and catalog to find parts for pistols.  You can get wedges and loops, and trim to fit Kentucky and Plains rifles and pistols and they probably have parts to convert your gun to a stronger retaining system.   Sounds like yours was underbuilt for economy.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life