Author Topic: What to use to remove dross ?  (Read 1020 times)

Offline missed_shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
What to use to remove dross ?
« on: July 02, 2005, 10:10:40 AM »
I tried using a nice shiny new dipper from Kmart to stir my molten lead after fluxing. When I pulled the dipper out, I discovered half of it had melted. What is a good thing to use as a scoop to stir and remove the dross that floats to the top ??
DONUTS - IS THERE ANYTHING THEY CAN'T DO ??- HOMER SIMPSON

Offline Forest T

removeing dross
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 10:30:04 AM »
Missed-shot go in your kitchen and get a tablespoon and use it or go to goodwill and get one I took one from the wife about 7 years ago and she still has not missed it yet  :-D  :-D Forest T

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 12:32:16 PM »
I did the same thing, but I put it in a vice and bent the edges up some to form a better bowl.

check yard sales you normally can find some very cheep

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 02:33:42 PM »
Yup.  A big'ol stainless steel soup spoon.  A deep one I was lucky to find one in our drawer.  Forest and Rickyp has it and you can probably find just what you need if you take the time to look around.  They're usually buried under other stuff.  :-)
Singing Bear

Offline Rick N Bama

Re: removeing dross
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 10:37:23 PM »
Quote from: Forest T
Missed-shot go in your kitchen and get a tablespoon and use it or go to goodwill and get one I took one from the wife about 7 years ago and she still has not missed it yet  :-D  :-D Forest T

Shhhhhhh, less they hear you :-D   I took one out 6 months ago and so far, so good. :D

Rick

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 06:15:10 AM »
I've got several old spoons I've collected over the years. One even says "Denneys"  :roll:

Gun Runner

Offline Kingfish

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 08:07:51 AM »
I've been using the Lee stir spoon that has a wooden handle on it. Bought it when I bought the Lee bottom pour melter.

Bill

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005, 03:19:10 PM »
I'm with Kingfish.  The small  Lee Dipper works great for skimming and will work fine for pouring small batches of bullets and the handle dosent get hot.  I think I paid about 3 bucks each for mine new.
....make it count

Offline ShadowMover

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 05:58:54 AM »
I've been using an old cooking "slotted spoon" with little holes in it. It allows most of the molten lead to fall through, but catches the dross. The spoon is just one of those cheap kitchen utensils. If I had to pay more than 50 cents at a yard sale or second hand store I would wait till the next yard sale ;-)

Offline jtaylor1960

Lead pot skimmer
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 07:59:51 AM »
Like some of the other posts I also use a stainless table spoon.It works quit well and doesn't melt at high temp.Good luck,Jeff Taylor. :grin:

Offline n5odj

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 11:19:07 AM »
The best thing I've found so far is one of those medium/large spoons w/ the drain holes in it.   I bent the handle a little too so that it doesn't accidentally end up in the kitchen.  

I started w/ a regular sized spoon, but found that the handle was too short & my hand was getting too near the hot stuff.

Robert in the hills of NC

Offline 3584ELK

What to use to remove dross?
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2005, 02:44:07 PM »
You guys are funny.   I read this post to my wife (sorry fella's).  When I was out melting wheelweights the other day she sent the boy out with a vegetable spoon she no longer needed.  Bless her heart!  Its long enough to keep my fingers outta the mix, slotted for drossing clips and fluxing.
An Honest Man Keeps His Horse Saddled

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2005, 05:04:34 PM »
n5odj, the server cannot send you e-mail without a valid e-mail address. So please either correct your e-mail in your profile or stop watching this and all other topics.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2005, 09:05:10 PM »
My dross scooper is one of them stainless vegetable spoons with all the holes in it.  the lead goes thru the  holes and the dross gets hung up on the spoon.  That's my spoon and I'm stick'n with it :)
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!