Author Topic: Handi Rifle Heavy Loads?  (Read 404 times)

Offline tanoose

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Handi Rifle Heavy Loads?
« on: July 02, 2005, 03:50:34 PM »
I know these handi rifles can handle loads from buffalo bore and grizzly ammunition companies, but can they handle these loads all the time grizzly has a 420 hard cast at 2050fps and a 460 hard cast at 1800. These are wonderful loads but would you use them or hand load heavy loads all the time.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Handi Rifle Heavy Loads?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 04:05:57 PM »
If you can handle them, the Handi can!!! Most shooters would not like the recoil of those thumpers....I'm shooting 300gr Nosler partitions at 2400fps+ in one of mine, I have lead in the stock, use a Past magnum shoulder pad in addition to the limbsaver recoil pad, and it still has some serious recoil, specially from the bench.

Tim

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jason280

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Handi Rifle Heavy Loads?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 07:50:32 AM »
Tim's right.  Its not whether the gun can handle it, but whether you can handle it.  Bench shooting is the worst, as heavy loads are downright brutal.  I don't like shooting 405gr lead at 1700fps, so I really couldn't imagine them at 2000+fps! Then again, I guess they would be tolerable with the right rest, like one of the lead sleds.  

But yes, the Handi can handle the Garrett loads.  I've researched it since I bought my two .45-70's, and the pressure levels are (I believe) below 40k cup.  If you look at the cartridges the Handi is available in, one is the .450 Marlin, which is factory loaded to 42-43k.  There is no reason the Handi could handle the .450 Marlin at 40k and not the .45-70, so it will be safe with the Garrett loads (all though your shoulder may not).
"Hey Peter, check out Channel 9!!"

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Handi Rifle Heavy Loads?
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 03:13:02 PM »
I'd suggest you work up and try a few of those loads to see how much of them you can handle.

I've pushed 400gr loads to 2000 from a BC and let me tell ya, you know when the trigger was pulled :eek:

I you are prone to developing a flinch from recoil, it will be FULLY developed when you are done with a box of those.

There isn't really a need for that heavy of load except for Bison or Brownies and I'd not hunt the latter with a singleshot anything, but to each his own.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!