Author Topic: NEF Model 37, Is it possible?  (Read 607 times)

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
NEF Model 37, Is it possible?
« on: July 02, 2005, 05:12:31 PM »
I don't know if everyone has heard but Ithaca has gone bankrupt (again).  I would love for NEF to buy the rights for the 37 and start selling the Ithaca lines under the NEF name.

Kind of like how Remington bought the Mag-10 rights from Ithaca in the mid 80's.

Just thinking out loud.  Probably will never happen.
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 05:19:05 PM »
well if it did happen i would be first in line. thats a great idea. i sure hope they could do that.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 05:45:57 PM »
Who Knows...Marlin did buy the rights to LC Smith...and LeFever...so...it is possible...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 10:40:00 AM »
Chinese have already cloned the M37.

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 12:33:40 PM »
If Ithaca couldn't make a go of making the shotgun financially,  why would Marlin want to try it?  Again, because they tried to sell the L.C. Smith shotguns years ago but couldn't make any money at it.    The "Marlin" L.C. Smith shotgun of today is made in Italy for goodness sakes.  They have false side plates to "echo" the look of the original Smiths.  Pretty sad, I'd much rather seen the M37 die completely than have it bastardized.  IMO anyway.  :roll:

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 03:40:55 AM »
Don't give up on Ithaca yet...They may still rise from the ashes.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 06:06:11 AM »
I suppose anything's possible, but I've been fooled before by wishful thinking:

Friday, June 10, 2005 10:19 AM EDT
Ithaca Gun office empty, phones disconnected
By The Citizen
The Ithaca Gun phone number has been disconnected and the company's parking lot is empty, but a member of the management team said the business has not ceased operating.  Whatever is going on at Ithaca Gun, the firearms maker has generated plenty of rumors and phone calls.
Cynthia Aikman, the executive director of the Auburn Industrial Development Authority, has not been able to reach any company officials.

Ithaca Gun had moved from its longtime home in King Ferry to the former Johnston Paper plant on Allen Street in late April. The company announced its arrival at the May 5 Auburn City Council meeting and said it was employing about 50 people.  But in recent days the company's phone lines - both the old number in King Ferry and a new one in Auburn - have been disconnected. The company's Web site has also been taken down.  And there has been no official word released by the company.  The Citizen heard from a gun owner frustrated because the company was repairing one of his guns and he was unable to find out what has happened to it. Aikman's telephone was also busy.  "A lot of people are calling, and I don't have answers," she said.

Billy Weston, the company's director of sales, said Ithaca Gun is not closing down permanently. He said he could not provide too many additional details, but said the company has gone into an operational hiatus as it transitions into its new site.  A lone Ithaca Gun van sat in the parking lot at the Allen Street building on Thursday afternoon.  Although Aikman is concerned about the company's future, she stressed that it did not receive any financial incentives from the city to relocate.  "The company moved here because they thought this would be a good location for them," she said.

Ithaca Gun had outgrown its former site, a converted school on Route 34B, where it had been for 17 years.  The 124-year-old company's financial struggles in recent years have been well-documented.  Ithaca Gun Company earlier this year had a $12,000 judgment filed against it by a Watertown educational television station because the gun manufacturer had agreed to underwrite a hunting show, but never paid. Several other judgments were filed against the company for unpaid bills as well and there were problems with the state Department of Labor regarding unemployment insurance payments. The labor department said in February the issue was being resolved.