Author Topic: Rifle sling.  (Read 783 times)

Offline Dusty Miller

• Trade Count: (0)
Rifle sling.
« on: July 04, 2005, 07:23:20 PM »
I'm looking for info on the proper use of a rifle sling.  Also, I know there's a technique for employing a rifle sling that enables the shooting to quickly swing the rifle from the back right into the shooting position.  If anybody has any information about these matters I'd really appreciate some input.
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Dave in WV

Rifle sling.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 03:19:47 AM »
Dusty, Galco has the improved "Ching" sling which is designed for shooting while hunting. It is much faster than military style slings and the way target shooters use a sling. I know this doesn't answer your question but I really feel it's a move in the right direction for hunters that use a sling for shooting.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline williek

Fast sling shooting
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 07:42:40 AM »
You carry the rifle over your left sholder, barrel pointing down.  When preparing to shoot, grasp the forearm of the stock with your left hand rotating forward and up, at the same time twisting the rifle so the butt rotates to the right past your crotch then you grasp the grip with your right hand, bringing it up into shooting position.  While all of this is going on be sure to hook the  sling over your left elbow.
You will end up with the rifle in shooting position with the sling strung out around your elbow and back to the buttstock. Because of the triangulation of the sling you will find this to be fast and steady.  I have used it for years.
However, there can be problems.  
1. The barrel is pointing down and subject to getting things into it.
2. If you stumble and fall the barrel will jam into the ground- not good.
3. It takes alot of practice and sling adjusting to get it right.
4.  Long barrels and this carry do not go together.
Try it, you may like it!
williek

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Rifle sling.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 02:27:36 AM »
Dusty Miller - I have used williek's technique for sling carry and will add that to avoid the first two problems williek identified simply put some tape over the barrel.  It will keep all sorts of things out of your barrel including mud and dirt, and it will protect the crown.

Willie's technique is pretty fast if you practice at it.  It works for me.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Dusty Miller

Rifle sling.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 05:02:57 AM »
Thanks for the input guys, that's what I was looking for. :D
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Jimi

• Avid Poster
Rifle sling.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 09:33:00 AM »
Willieks technique is certainly a good one. As an alternative, but in a similar vein... and assuming you are a right handed shooter... Carry the rifle on your right shoulder with the barrel facing up. When walking you should keep your right hand on the pistol grip with your fingers facing towards the buttstock. For a quick shot you bring the rifle around, pivoting on your right hand... the barrel swings behind you, then down and around until it is facing the direction you want to shoot. Grab the forestock with your left hand and you're in position. I simultaneously kneel down with my right foot under my butt and my left knee providing a brace for my left arm. It takes some practice to be proficient, but it works very nicely once you have developed a fluid technique.

I will tend to alternate between this and willieks technique in order to alternate the weight bearing between my right and left shoulder.

That said, I have more recently gotten hooked on the safari sling. As mentioned, it is not as good when hunting with someone on your left side, but otherwise it is fantastic.
WWJD?(What Would Jimi Do?)

Offline Lawdog

Re: Fast sling shooting
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 12:11:54 PM »
Quote from: williek
You carry the rifle over your left sholder, barrel pointing down.  When preparing to shoot, grasp the forearm of the stock with your left hand rotating forward and up, at the same time twisting the rifle so the butt rotates to the right past your crotch then you grasp the grip with your right hand, bringing it up into shooting position.  While all of this is going on be sure to hook the  sling over your left elbow.
You will end up with the rifle in shooting position with the sling strung out around your elbow and back to the buttstock. Because of the triangulation of the sling you will find this to be fast and steady.  I have used it for years.
However, there can be problems.  
1. The barrel is pointing down and subject to getting things into it.
2. If you stumble and fall the barrel will jam into the ground- not good.
3. It takes alot of practice and sling adjusting to get it right.
4.  Long barrels and this carry do not go together.
Try it, you may like it!
williek

Exactly the way I was taught by my Grandfather/Father and the way I taught my Kids and Grandkids.  With practice it is exceptionally fast way of getting into action.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.