Author Topic: Question about Lyman #45 Sizer  (Read 507 times)

Offline Camel 23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Question about Lyman #45 Sizer
« on: July 08, 2005, 11:38:59 AM »
I am very, very new to casting and I received a Lyman #45 sizer from a friend.  Should a top punch from a 450 sizer work on a 45 sizer?  The reason I am asking is because it doesn't want to go in the whole and I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if they are just not compatable.

Offline John Traveler1

• Contributor
Lyman 45 sizer
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 12:14:59 PM »
I believe the Lyman 45 sizer uses the same top punches as the 450.  It's the model that was modified to become the 450.

Try checking the hole and the setscrew that secures the top punch.  Sometimes the hole edges get burred by the setscrew and prevents it from going in.

Or, compare the stem of the top punch (if any) that was installed with the one that you are trying to fit.  They should be the same diameter.

Offline Camel 23

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 03:03:56 PM »
I got now.   I just had to get a little mad at it.

Offline larry357

• Nope, its a 45
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 03:07:20 PM »
All Lymans sizing dies and top punches fit all of their lubrisizers. The #45 the #450 and the newer #4500 also the really old Ideal #1 and #2. They have redesigned the machine several times without changing the dies and punches size. Rather nice, as old dies work in new sizers and new dies work in old sizers. Side note is RCBCS dies and punches fit the Lyman machine also.

You must have a burr as John said or a burr on the top punch itself. I buggered up a punch once by tightening the set screw too much it was a pain to remove and had to be smoothed up before using it again.
Life member: NRA, NAHC, NAFC

Offline Kenneth L. Walters

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 02:06:50 PM »
You've actually got a Lyman 45???

I know that they were made forever but they aren't very common.  Took me years to find one.