Author Topic: Uberti 1860 glitch  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Norseman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Uberti 1860 glitch
« on: July 09, 2005, 04:57:11 AM »
What causes the cylinder to completely jam, that you can not pull the hammer back if the hammer is lowered (carefully) on a capped nipple?  

For example:  When you load all six chamber and attempt to then lower on the small pin in between the nipples, and missed the spot or sequence, then must lower carefully the capped nipple.  To align the next "pin", go to just before half cock to lower on the pin between the cylinders.

When the hammer is at the just touching the cap when doing this locks up the action.  (The cylinder rotates just fine at half cock and the cylinder gap/wedge is set properly).  

I have to use a wooden dowel to really push down on the cap itself (not safe when loaded) or actually push the hammer down hard on the cap- NOT SAFE either way!  A small click in the action is heard, then I can repeat this on all cones every thing will work.   TRESCO nipples/cones are used.  

I switched the factory nipples that wouldn't fire with various cap sizes to TRESCO.  Its almost like the Tresco nips are slightly too high, and are tightened all the way down.  

Whats up? :x
RKBA!

Offline ribbonstone

• Avid Poster
Uberti 1860 glitch
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 05:54:36 AM »
Have to take a look at those replacement nipples...have to be sure they aren't LONGER than the standard ones. Switch them out for the ones that woun't fire just to test.

At the bottom of the hammer fall, the bolt is supose to reset.  IF it doesn't, then the gun will be tied up as you describe. that little "click" that you heard when pushing the hammer forward is the bolt resetting.

Bolt has a long spring tempered "hook" on one end. this hook rides on an inclinded stud on the hammer. To reset, the hammer has to move forward enough to let the hook ride up over the incline and click into place on the stud.

Your hammer isn't going far enough forward...and on a guess, it's that the nipples are too long to let it.

Offline Flint

locked up
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 06:55:50 AM »
It is necessary to pull the hammer all the way to full cock before lowering it.  If you pull it to half cock and load the gun, do not simply let the hammer down from there, it will not properly reset the bolt.  You must pull the hammer to full cock before lowering the hammer, either to an empty chamber or a safety pin.

This is true of any Colt Single Action, cartridge or caplock, but the gun's timing affects the severity of the problem, as some individual guns hardly are affected by failing to full cock them, others will freeze solid every time, but locking up does not mean your gun is mis-timed and needs work, likely as not that a gun that does NOT lock up from half-cock may be the one that has bad timing.

Treso nipples I believe require #11 caps, (sometimes CCI #11 and Remington #10 will fit about the same) so if you are using #10s they may be too tight, but you have to try both to see what works.

SASS rules require you to seat caps with a wood stick, never the hammer.  Seating with a wood stick is not dangerous as long as you push slowly and steadily, do not strike., and DO NOT EVER use your thumb to hard seat a cap, as if it DOES go off it will drive the cap right into or through your thumb.  Someone had photos on the internet once of such a damaged thumb.
Flint, SASS 976, NRA Life

Offline Cuts Crooked

Uberti 1860 glitch
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 08:44:19 AM »
Uh...that would be ME! :eek:

(Actually, my thumb is somewhere in the photo section of this board sumwhere)
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline Cuts Crooked

Uberti 1860 glitch
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 08:51:48 AM »
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline ribbonstone

• Avid Poster
Uberti 1860 glitch
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 09:39:39 AM »
Got it wrong...thought you had gone from full cock to hammer down and the cylinder won't rotate.  Same problem and praobly the same solution.  

IF you take the nippled out and it doesn't screw up, then put in teh factroy nipples and it doesn't screw up, can be pretty sure it is the nipple height

Offline Singing Bear

• Avid Poster
Uberti 1860 glitch
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2005, 08:22:39 AM »
Tresos are a bit higher than the stock nipples, but can be easily dressed down with a flat file.  Just make sure to keep things square.
Singing Bear

Offline Norseman

• Avid Poster
Uberti 1860 glitch
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 06:07:43 PM »
Time to break out the file!  I'll get back to y'all with the results...thanks!
RKBA!