Author Topic: Diets  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Diets
« on: July 12, 2005, 11:41:07 AM »
Anyone here on a diet or thinking of it?

I started 5 weeks ago and have lost 15 pounds so far.

Been overweight for most of my life and am now making a change...

More energy now and my work uniforms are damn near falling off. Need to get to Wal-Mart for a belt.. :grin:

Looking to drop about 45 pounds. Might get there by Christmas.

Any comments or questions are welcome.

By the way I am 37 years old, never too old to change.

Nixter

Ps. I told my friends not long ago that if I ever got to 300 lbs, they had an obligation as my friends to shoot me and use one of my guns. My best friend recently chose my Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 using my handloads...

Good incentive.
Good luck to those of you who are also on a diet.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Diets
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 11:54:25 AM »
I'm on the same seefood diet I've been on for years. Losing 100 pounds would be nice but realistically it ain't gonna happen for me.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Nixter

• Contributor
Diets
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 01:06:22 PM »
I don't suppose a steak at Outback steakhouse in Chattanooga would help hey Bill?

Nixter

Or Birmingham or Atlanta... Hint Hint.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Diets
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 05:23:56 PM »
Congratulations Nixter.  Are you on a particular diet or just watching what or how much you eat?  Doing any exercising with the diet? I wouldn't mind dropping about 15 pounds myself.

p.s.: Dropping 10 years would be nice too!  :)
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
Diets
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 05:32:30 PM »
Yup one of those Outback Steakhouse steaks would fit right into my seefood diet right well. Seems to me a fellow still owes me one from the prairie dog shoot for the shot I made with the iron sighted .30-30. Wonder what the chance is I'll ever get to eat that steak?

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Diets
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 02:35:04 AM »
Say Bill - are you sure it wasn't a 'chuck' steak he was talking about on that praire dog shoot (lololol)?  Sorry (snort, giggle).  

BTW, since when does a seafood diet do anything except spike your cholesterol.  I could sure eat a lot of shrimp, fish and lobster but I would watch my cholesterol levels hit an alltime high and probably not loose a lot of weight in the process?  Just curious.  Mikey.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
Diets
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 04:24:16 AM »
Now Mikey I can spell better than that. I said I was on a SEEFOOD diet, not a seafood diet. Don't you know what a SEE FOOD diet is? If I see food I eat it.  :)

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Diets
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 06:54:03 AM »
I've been running with the Atkins diet for a few months and it sure works well. I've lost about 30 pounds and am now maintaining my weight where it is. I like it because I can eat just about anything involving meat that I want. It is the bread and sugar that need to be minimized. Typically for me it is eggs and sausage for breakfast, summer sausage and cheese with a salad and ranch (or blue cheese) dressing for lunch and chicken or steak with another salad at night. And I just had a physical my cholesterol is a lot lower than when I started. I would recommend it. How else can you be on a diet and get all the pork, steak, eggs and butter you want and still lose weight like crazy?

Offline w30wcf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Diets
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 07:00:27 AM »
Nixter, Graybeard, Brett, Mickey, flatlander,

I would highly recommend the book EAT TO LIVE  written by Joel Fuhrman, M.D.   "Eat to Live is not only for those who are overweight, but for everyone who wants to protect their health."  

I want to add life to my years, being able to function normally (able to still shoot, able to still walk, able to still feed myself, go to the bathroom by myself, last address is not a nursing home, etc.) until the day that the lord calls me home.  

Following the nutrition plan in this book will go a long way to helping oneself to achieve the above goal.  

You can read more here:
http://www.drfuhrman.com/

To your good health and longivity,
w30wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
Life Member NRA
.22 WCF, .30WCF, .44WCF cartridge historian

Offline w30wcf

• Avid Poster
Diets
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 07:06:44 AM »
Flatlander,

Congratulations on  losing weight and lowering your cholesterol onthe Atkins diet but you are not doing your immune system any good which which increases your chances of potentially getting a disease in the future.

From EAT TO LIVE ..... "You can lose some weight on the Atkins diet plan, but you will damage your health at the same time. Dr. Fuhrman explains the dangers of following this popular diet plan."

Go to http://www.drfuhrman.com/ and scroll down to the Adkins Cancer Revolution

Stay healthy,
w30wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
Life Member NRA

Offline flatlander

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Diets
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 03:31:04 PM »
I appreciate the concern, but I will have to take issue with some of his data. It lies in direct contradiction with the majority of the medical case studies that I am aware of. Atkins isn't a new diet, and has had a significant number of studies done by the medical community. So far, it has been shown to lower HDL and LDL, and no long term illness effects have been tied to it clinically. For him to claim that you will damage your health by being on it is self-serving at best. I would have to wonder what his studies are that back his claims, and also wonder if they might have something to do with the book that he's selling. It would be hard to sell them until the competition is discredited.
To quote from his site: "High protein diet gurus usually claim they know the truth and that all other doctors and scientists are wrong." Not at all. Scientists and doctors have shown in study after study (currently at 40+) that Atkins looses weight faster, lowers cholesterol and blood pressure, and has outperformed every diet it has been put up against.  Here is the latest: "British health experts are scratching their heads over the latest research they have conducted on the various weight loss methods available for people to do today. It seems the much-maligned Atkins diet is the best of the bunch and that has health officials in a tizzy right now." "Despite alleged health concerns that are so quickly discussed regarding Atkins, the researchers begrudgingly admitted that there are "no harmful short-term side-effects" from low-carb programs." "As for other effects on your body from doing Atkins, long-term studies can and should be conducted to either substantiate or dismiss these as fact or fiction."

Offline Major

• A Real Regular
Diets
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 05:42:32 PM »
I am type 2 diabetic, that was brought about by being overweight.   Being overweight will do way more harm to you than any diet you might be on unless you take one to excess.   Those that say that this diet or that diet will harm you are just trying to get you scared away from anything but their recommended diet so they can make money off of you.

As for the Atkins diet, just use a little common sense then thinking about it.   The human body evolved eating a mostly meat, fish and fowl diet for hundreds of thousands of years.    Maybe even more than a million years by some accounts.   It has been only in the last 5 or 6 thousand years that we started eating a lot of grains and sugars within our normal diets.   All Atkins does is get you to eating the way your body evolved (or was created) in the first place.

I lost 70 pounds in a little over a year on Atkins, from 255 down to 185 pounds.   I am now on a semi-Atkins diet to maintain my weight.   By that I mean I watch my carbohydrates intake as I did before and still eat mostly meat, fish and fowl but I now throw in small amounts of the grains too where before there was never any breads or other grains.   I feel better, have more energy and I can control my diabetes with diet and a pill.   There are no insulin shots for me as long as I watch my weight.

Besides, I was able to eat all the steak and pork roasts and other meats that I wanted.   What a way to be indulging myself and still loose weight.   I even ate low carb ice cream and could drink all the diet pop I wanted.   Most diet drinks are not bad once you get over the sugar addiction or dependency you have.
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline Yukon Jack

• A Real Regular
Diets
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 06:14:13 PM »
Exercise if you can.  If you burn more calories than you take in, you lose weight.  Besides, exercise increases your metabolism and makes your body a more efficient fat burning machine.

Quit eating out, the food is cooked and prepared soaked in fats and the serving sizes are much too large.  Don't eat fast food.  And exercise.

See a doctor before starting an exercise program if you are extremely overweight or have other health problems.

Offline w30wcf

• Avid Poster
Diets
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 01:59:11 AM »
flatlander,

Thank you for your response.  When I turned 40, (21 years ago) I began taking my health much more seriously. I didn't have any health issues but came to the realization that I wasn't getting any younger, and after visiting a few of my friends in the hospital who had developed cancer, I thought "That could be me.".

I bought some health books back then and began following their advice and completely changed my diet. Since that time, I have read a number of different books on health which included some of the latest research studies available.  

I adopted a mostly plant based diet with animal products accounting for less than 10% of my intake. I am happy to say that after 21 years at the age of 61, my PSA is very low at .35, colds and flu are a rarity (once in about 3 years), I don't feel any older than I did 21 years ago, and at my height of 5 ft. 10 1/2" my weight has remained at a healthy 175 lbs.  

I don't have much time since we are leaving on vacation in a few hours and I still have to pack so here is  a little information I've gleaned in my studies.

Our Immune System is vital to our well being.  As we age it can loose as much as 70-80% of it's effectiveness between the ages of 20 to 70. That's the reason that older folks are much more susceptible to illness.  Diseases such as Cancer have a much better chance of getting started if our immune system is not functioning properly.

There are two main nutrients that are vital to our immune systems, Zinc and vitamin C.  Scientific studies have proven that diets rich in these 2 nutrients and other vitamins & minerals will keep our immune systems working effectively even into our senior years.

Research scientists have determined that 80% of all cancers are diet and environmentally related.  Prostate cancer is more prevalent now than ever before.  In the past 20 years the number of cases of all cancers has more than doubled. Why?  

Diets that contain a high amount of animal products are deficient in vitamins and minerals.  Diets that are high in plant based nutrition are abundant in them.

There are certain areas of the world where cancer and other diseases are a rarity. These people consume a plant based diet.  Studies have been done on those same people that have migrated from these areas to America and changed to the typical American diet that is high in animal produced products.  The Cancer rate among these folks is on par with our national average.  Hmmmmm.

Based on everything health related that I've studied from a number of resources over the past 20 years,  indicate that most of the information contained in "Eat To Live" is in line with the many scientific studies that have been done.

Have to go.

Take care and stay healthy.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
Life Member NRA

Offline magooch

Diets
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2005, 04:18:31 AM »
w30wcs, I practice what you preach.  I'm 62 and I weigh less now than I did when I was 18.  I can't remember the last time I was sick and I get lots and lots of exercise.

After I retired, I decided I would change my eating habits and I did.  My one meal a day consists of an enormous salad with all kinds of goodies in it.  This works for me and I feel so much better than I used to when I ate the traditional 3 times a day.  I believe much of the food we eat is nothing more than something to make turds out of.
Swingem

Offline Nixter

• Contributor
Diets
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2005, 11:46:22 AM »
Well, it may seem not seem like the best route for some of you, but I am using the Weight Watchers diet. My friends used it and were succesful in dropping weight.

I like it because it has taught me the basics of watching what I eat. Portion control and actually knowing what I am eating are the main things I've learned. It kinda grinds my beans paying for this but it is helping me to change my eating habits and I am learning what I need to make better choices for my health.

For me paying for the program is like artificial discipline. (best way for me to describe it) In other words, I am paying for this program and information, I darn well better use it.

More exercise is always a good thing. I like to walk so I use my time to walk in the woods when I can, can't hurt to do a little scouting while I'm out there too right?

Total pounds lost so far is now 17.

Kind of a bummer actually, now I realise how overweight I am. I need to loose more faster but I also understand too much too fast is a bad thing.

Chin up, grind it out. I'll get there when I get there.

Thanks for the Eat to Live book info, I'll check the library..

Good luck all.

Nixter