Author Topic: which carry gun??  (Read 2182 times)

Offline sureshot2040

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
which carry gun??
« on: July 17, 2005, 08:40:39 AM »
im trying to decide on a new gun to carry
it is between a glock and a springfield 1911
if i go with the glock, then which model?? this is down to between the 17 or the 22 or the 19 or 23 in other words a nine or a forty??
if i sit and really think abt it, it boils down to either the 19 or the 23 those are really the only two that i can carry all day comfortably i know cause i have carried all of them before including the 1911 which has to many sharp edges
anyways i wonder if with the right ammo and shot placement would the 40 make that big a difference over the 9?? enough to justify giving up the extra rounds in the mag??
lord decisions decisions :roll:
yall help me out here
sureshot

Offline RedRyder21

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
which carry gun??
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 10:26:05 AM »
Your kind of in the same boat I am... 9 or 40, 9 or 40, 9 or 40...

Shot placement or a big-bore, Shot placement or a big-bore, Shot placement or a big-bore, Shot placement or a big-bore...

I am leaning towards the 9mm myself. I would rather have good shot placment and quick recovery from recoil.
I love shotguns! :cb2:

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
which carry gun??
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 11:11:10 AM »
I've got a Springfield compact .45 on lay away with the staggered magazine. I think it holds 10 rounds of .45. I've been a fan of the John Browning 1911 design for many years, and now that I have a chance to carry that's what I'm going for. Shot placement should always be first and foremost. I like what Mel Gibson told his sons in the  movie "The Patriot" just before they wacked a bunch of Brittish soldiers and rescued his older son. He told them "Aim small, miss small".

Glock makes a good gun, and it wouldn't be a mistake to buy one of those, but they're just too square and boxy for me.
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline NYH1

which carry gun??
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 12:07:18 PM »
I'm a huge 40 S&W fan. It basically splits the difference between the 9mm and 45 ACP. I have two Glocks, a G22 and a G27. I carry my G22 when concealment isn't an issue. In the warmer weather I carry the G27. I shoot the G27 as well as I shoot the G22 so I'm not at any disadvantage when I carry the smaller pistol. Size wise the G19/G23/G32 is right in between the two Glocks I have.

I think my next Glock is going to be a G19. I want to get a 9mm mostly for plinking. I don't know if I will carry it or not. The next pistol I buy after the G19 is probably going to be a Smith & Wesson SW1911 45 ACP. I don't think I'll carry this one. Personally, I would rather carry a 9mm Glock then any 1911, thats just me. There are a lot of people that won't carry anything but a 1911, and rightly so, everyone has their preferences!

As far as the 9mm -vs- 40 S&W go's, its up to you. I would recommend the 40 S&W. However, if you shoot a 9mm better then you shoot a 40 S&W, you'd be better off going with the 9mm. You can have the most powerful gun in the world, if you can't hit what you want with it......it's worthless!
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
which carry gun??
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 12:40:41 PM »
>>You can have the most powerful gun in the world, if you can't hit what you want with it......it's worthless!<<

Yeah, buddy! Well said. :)
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline BillinOregon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
which carry gun??
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 08:29:13 PM »
I like a Glock 23, but I don't like not being able to shoot cast bullets.

Offline tbull55

• Avid Poster
which carry gun??
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 06:17:38 AM »
I carry the G23 in Florida year round.  I also have a G19.  I have carried both and decided that they both carry the same and I shoot them both the same so I opted for the bigger cal.
Tbull
Duct Tape is like the force!
It has a light side.
It has a dark side.
And it holds the universe together!
:D

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
which carry gun??
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 02:51:43 PM »
My preference is the 1911. You can buy models that have been dehorned so the sharp edges will be a non issue. On my skinny frame the flatter guns conceal much easier as well. As for the glocks, plastic and steal have never excited me and the same goes for a 9mm. I do believe the 40 SW is a great compromise between the 9 and 45. You have good bullet diameter at reasonable recoil. I do feel the glock has some advantages in weight and operability when compared to the 1911 buy my heart lye’s on the traditional side.

Take Care and Be Safe,
Scott

Offline Old Griz

which carry gun??
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 09:23:26 PM »
:cb2: I carry a G21 year round. Love that .45 ACP. Next Glock will be the G36. Same nice big bullet, smaller package.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline sniperVLS

• Remington & Sig Sauer addict!
  • A Real Regular
which carry gun??
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2005, 08:24:50 AM »
Quote from: New York Hunter
I'm a huge 40 S&W fan. It basically splits the difference between the 9mm and 45 ACP.

I totally agree.

the recoil difference is minimal. If you can get very accurate with a .40, then youre set.

After getting proficient with my Sig .40, I cant see myself ever going back to a 9mm honestly. Shoot a 1 gallon milk jug with a hydrashok 9mm round, then do it with a .40, a very visible difference. I still know people who think if it doesnt hold 15 rounds, its not good. hahaha

Im happy with my 12 + 1 :grin:

But like others have said, shoot what gets you to center mass, thats what matters most.

Offline rockbilly

which carry gun??
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 03:55:56 AM »
:roll: Asking for advice on a carry gun is kinda like asking for advice on selecting a wife.  There will be a lot of pros and cons with every selection you make, but bottom line, you are the one that has to live with your choice............select whatever pleases you.

Offline Jim101

• Avid Poster
which carry gun??
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 06:57:54 AM »
Rockbilly,

That is the perfect answer................

Jim
Hi-Point 9mm

Offline retrieverhunter

which carry gun?
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 10:05:26 AM »
I have a G23 and a G17 and can't carry either of them comfortably for very long.  They are heavy when loaded with high capacity magazines.  My personal preference, AT THIS TIME, is either S&W M637 or M38.  I absolutely love the airweight Smiths.  I also find the Glocks harder to conceal for summer carrying.  I wear boots every day and the J frame Smiths fit comfortably inside my right boot top (or in my right back pocket when I wear my shirt untucked).  

In my case, I had rather CARRY a 5 shot Smith than leave a high capacity Glock at home or in my truck because it is heavy and harder for me to conceal.

My opinion only.
Jeff S.

Offline 147 Grain

• Avid Poster
which carry gun??
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 11:16:48 AM »
Either caliber will be fine.  What's more important is plenty of range time and for SD, choose the heavy for caliber bullets as in 147-gr. or 180-gr.

* Ranger T
* Double Tap Gold Dot
* Remington Golden Saber
45 ACP 230-gr. Double Tap Gold Dot = 1,010 fps / 15.3" & .95"    :D

Aim for the Triangle Area between armpits & throat.

Offline Bubba w/a 45/70

which carry gun??
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2005, 05:01:22 AM »
I'll take my G36...7 rounds of .45ACP, same physical size as a compact 1911, and half the weight of same 1911.  And I can shoot it all day long without having to worry about recoil issues.  BTW, mine doesn't mind the lead bullets...eats them right up too.  I just make sure that I clean the barrel between copper/lead switches.  I do believe that Glock makes a slightly different rifling in their .45ACP barrels, even names it differently in their own literature.

And even more reliable than my full size 1991A1...haven't had any malfunctions with it that I haven't "tried to make happen" in testing for myself.  And that was just one malfunction, I severely limp wristed the pistol.

YMMV, but for myself I'll take my "plastic piece of s*%t" as my wife calls it. :lol:

*edited for spelling and to add:  My wife's chosen weapon is that 1991A1...*
"I SHOOT BACK!"     Uncle Ted

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
which carry gun??
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2005, 05:56:18 AM »
I carry either or two handguns...A S&W 6904 9mm or a Glock 23 40cal...I shoot both guns equally well so when it comes to carrying it really is a matter of how I feel at the moment.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline John C-S

• Avid Poster
Carrying Outside or Inside
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2005, 12:26:27 PM »
If it is an outside duty gun it seems your choices are good and reliable/durable. But what about a gun you can carry concealed with comfort and feel confident? I like the stainless Walther PPK. It goes easily in an ankle holster by Uncle Mike's or in your pants pocket or even holstered inside or outside the waist or under the non-shooting arm (shoulder holster) very very discreetly and comfortably. This may be a surprise to many, but if the handgun is "full sized" it is often left at home or not bothered with. A smaller gun like the Walther in .380 or .32 is easily easily carried without any burden anytime anywhere. I am not saying a .380 is better than your choices, but if you need to carry a gun for whatever reason you could greatly appreciate carrying an old and familiar and easily carried partner more often and more in synch with yourself than a large or full sized situation. Many have discovered that having a gun is better than not, especially when the gun you want to carry is bulky and visible.

Offline John C-S

• Avid Poster
Carrying Outside or Inside
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2005, 12:28:49 PM »
If it is an outside duty gun it seems your choices are good and reliable/durable. But what about a gun you can carry concealed with comfort and feel confident? I like the stainless Walther PPK. It goes easily in an ankle holster by Uncle Mike's or in your pants pocket or even holstered inside or outside the waist or under the non-shooting arm (shoulder holster) very very discreetly and comfortably. This may be a surprise to many, but if the handgun is "full sized" it is often left at home or not bothered with. A smaller gun like the Walther in .380 or .32 is easily easily carried without any burden anytime anywhere. I am not saying a .380 is better than your choices, but if you need to carry a gun for whatever reason you could greatly appreciate carrying an old and familiar and easily carried partner more often and more in synch with yourself than a large or full sized situation. Many have discovered that having a gun is better than not, especially when the gun you want to carry is bulky and visible.

Offline bobow

which carry gun??
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2005, 02:09:51 PM »
I carry a taurus 44 mag ultralight and  I can hit any thing out 40 yards with no problem  and do not need to double tap. My back up in a smith and wesson 1911 45 acp.

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
which carry gun??
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2005, 06:36:50 PM »
Quote from: RedRyder21
Your kind of in the same boat I am... 9 or 40, 9 or 40, 9 or 40...

Shot placement or a big-bore, Shot placement or a big-bore, Shot placement or a big-bore, Shot placement or a big-bore...

I am leaning towards the 9mm myself. I would rather have good shot placment and quick recovery from recoil.

I used to carry the G-22 and G-27 for a back up, don't need to wear on the job now.  I picked up a G-19 and fell in love with it, and found it to be more accurate than the G-22 or G-27 but it wasn't by much as my targets showed.

But for my everyday CCW gun, its the G-19  :excuseme:  because I'm not undergunned using a 9mm.

Offline Buffalo_Hunter

Take a look at the Glock Model 26(9mm) and Model 27 (40 S&am
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2005, 11:20:13 PM »
I love my Glock Model 26 loaded with Cor Bon 115 Grain JHP.Small,light,effective,rounded edges,a perfect concealed combat weapon.

Offline Broken Spoke

Re: which carry gun??
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2005, 12:29:12 PM »
trying to decide on a new gun to carry
it is between a glock and a springfield 1911

Glock 27!!! Loaded with Speer Gold Dots 155 GR. Hollow Points   :P
DON''T WORRY ABOUT THE MULE GOING BLIND JUST LOAD THE WAGON  :cry:

NOW, SMOK''''EM TILL THEY MELT!! :shock:

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
which carry gun??
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2005, 01:48:44 PM »
Aw, what the heck......

Sig 229 in 357 Sig!!

:wink:
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline Dana C

which carry gun??
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2005, 05:57:03 PM »
I carry a Para Ord 6.45LDA Carry.  The 3" barrel is just right for a compact and it isn't to heavy and bulky to be a problem.  6+1 is enough for most situations especially if you have a back up clip or two.  
Of course I am carrying concealed thus the small .45.  
I like the LDA because after being a single action guy this DA is incredible and made me a believer.  It shoots better than any single that I have owned from Colt.
Dana
Dana
45-70, (a couple)
45-90 C Sharps, 2 Puma's 44 Mag. & .357
92' Orginal Winchester & 1894 Marlin 25.20
Model 24 Win. 20G, Eclipse 12G BP,
45-120 Meacham High Wall & 50-100 1872 Rem. Rolling Block
Rem. Custom Shop .375 H&H & .458 Lott Ruger #1

Offline tbull55

• Avid Poster
which carry gun??
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2005, 07:05:09 AM »
I kow that earlier in this post I stated that I carried the G23.  WWEEEELLLLLLLL...........that has changed.  I recently  purchased a Kimber ultra compact (KUC) in stainless.  This is with out a doubt the finest pistol I have ever shot.  My KUC hasn't had a problem yet, it takes every kind of ammo FMJ and hollow points, it even shoots blazers well.  I have no problem with shot placement or recoil (personally I never have a problem with recoil).  I shoot the KUC better than my glock.  Don't get me wrong, I love my glocks but this Kimber has it beat hands down.  The KUC carries very well also. :grin:

Tbull
Duct Tape is like the force!
It has a light side.
It has a dark side.
And it holds the universe together!

Offline Damir Besic

which carry gun??
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2005, 12:13:13 PM »
the only gun I shoot better than mu G21C was CDP Kimber.Every round goes thru the same hole.Great guns.I have Kimber Eclipse Custom II but I don`t think it shoots as good as my Glock, and not even close to CDP.

Db