Author Topic: Which of these 2 scopes for synth Handi light rifle in .243?  (Read 489 times)

Offline FirstFreedom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
I'm looking at getting, for this deer rifle, with the goal to keep it as light as possible, either a Burris Fullfield II, 1.75-5x20mm, at 10 oz and about $150, vs. a Weaver Classic "V", 1-3x20mm, at 8.5 oz and about $140 - whaddya think?  Other recommendations in a low power, very light quality scope under $200?  And what rings - I'm thinking Warne.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Which of these 2 scopes for synth Handi lig
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 07:02:32 PM »
The Leupold VX-1 2-7x33 at 10½oz, $200 for the matte or $180 for the gloss. I have 2 of these plus an older 2-7x28 compact Vari-x, great scopes for less than $200.

Tim

http://theopticzone.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=44
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline howard NZ

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 08:50:11 PM »
quickddoo beat me to it, purchused my handi superlight .243 a couple of weeks ago and intended putting a Tasco world class 2-8x32 on it that I had , well it didn't workout  :( as I dropped it and managed to break it, so had a look at what is availible and picked out the Leopold vx1 2-7x33, it is light, has good optics for the price and ideal magnification for bush hunting on 2x and 7x for range work, really pleased with it :grin: , put on using millet steel rings.    
Howard.

Offline FirstFreedom

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 04:34:11 AM »
Hmmm, ok, but if I run with a 2-7, isn't the Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7x32mm a better scope for $30 less, what with the Rainguard and all?  But it's 12 oz to the VX-1's 10.5 however....

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3257

And the Weaver and Burris I mentioned are both fully multi-coated, whereas the Leupold isn't - seems like the Burris is a best buy here as a result.

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=1960

Tim, you are amazing the way you help people here and at rimfirecentral and who knows where else - thanks for all the help.  :)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 05:17:20 AM »
Honestly...no...the Bushy isn't a better scope...even though there are some serious Bushnell fans would disagree..I have done a side by side comparison of the 2x7x33 VX-1 Leupolds against other scopes out there...and they are the brightest,clearest,and most repeatable scopes going...not to mention...with the non-critical eye relief of the Leupold for those snap shots that are likely to come...you cannot beat them...if you have time to set and move your head around till you find the best picture...then the others would work..but the Leupold will give you that with or without a heavy hunting coat on...none of the others will...bottom line...try to get somewhere where they have the scopes your looking at and do you own comparision...because you need to see the difference on a try stock...this will show you what I mean...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline mhans938

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 05:21:51 AM »
The Burris would be the first choice, has better light transmission (95%) than the VX-1 (88%).  Warranties are lifetime on both, so it comes down to which one fits you the best.  I own the Burris FFII in a 3-9x40 and the Weaver V10.  Burris is by far the better optic; clearer, brighter and crisp to the edge.  Love the Ballistic Plex recticle also, but if you sight in the .243 with 100 gr. bullets to be 3.25 ins. high @ 100yds, then you will be from 4" low to 4" high out to 300 yds.  This is with most factor ammo.
Only Weaver for the money to look at would be the Grand Slam, a very good scope that competes in quality, brightness, clear and low light conditions with scopes that cost 2x's the money.

You might also check out the new Master Series from Simmons.  This looks like it will give the Burris and Leupold a run for the money.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 05:39:32 AM »
Thanks First Freedom, just here to help and learn, myself. :wink:  Good points on all counts, just depends on which one suits your fancy, they're all good scopes, I don't think you can go wrong with any of em. Although I don't have any Weavers, I do have a 3-9x40 Burris FFII with the bal-plex and a Nikon Prostaff which are both excellent scopes, both made in the Philippines, as is the Buckmaster. I wouldn't count on getting a Simmons Master series for at least a month or so, their new China plant is having some difficulities getting online, so to speak, they have stated to RFC members that they won't be available for a while yet and then only in the lower powers to start with, and the higher power units later this year.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline FirstFreedom

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 11:56:35 AM »
Thanks again.  I also looked today at a Nikon Monarch UCC 1.5-4.5x20mm, at $235 (on sale for 10% off of that) - it looked really clear.  But I think I'll run with the Burris FFII 1.75-5x20, with the Leupold VX-1 2-7x33 as 2nd choice.  Thanks for the ballistic info - that would work for a 300 yard PBR + or - 4" out to 300 by sighting in at 3.25" over at 100, with 100/105 gr rounds - sounds like a real plan!

Offline FirstFreedom

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 10:42:00 AM »
Guys, just in case you're curious, for practical reasons, I ended up going with "none of the above", and slapped a Bushnell Legend 2-7x32mm on it, because (a) it was on sale at a local store for $105 plus tax, not bad for a fully-multi-coated optic, (b) you guys talked me into the utility of a 2-7 for this kind of rifle, (c) I don't have a credit card at present with which to order online, and no VX-1s or Burris FF2s in that magnif were available locally, and (d) I threw out the ultra-light concept for the rifle when I came to the conclusion that it's already kinda heavy, being apparently the mid-weight NEF .243, not the lightest weight one, but I'm not 100% positive WTH is going on, to tell you the truth:

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=67680