Author Topic: Stock wood  (Read 352 times)

Offline Varminter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Stock wood
« on: July 18, 2005, 10:03:49 AM »
I'm wanting to try to make a stock for my 223 but i can't seem to find any info on the woods i'm wanting to use. I'm looking at a few exotic woods but can't find out if they are a soft wood or a hard wood. and i can't find a place that sales a piece big enough for the butt stock.

I'm looking at cocobolo, koa-koa, zebra wood, redwood, lacewood, and osage orange.

Can you tell me where i could find a block of any of these to start my project.

If worse comes to worse i'll just find a block of walnut burl or maple burl to use.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Phoneman

• Avid Poster
Stock wood
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 04:31:28 PM »
Just started carving my own stock. Patience is key. And drilling the hole correctly. Ruined the first piece by having the hole just a little crooked. fortunately there is a mill not far from me and I'm friends with the owner. all the wood I want at pretty cheap prices.  If this is your first go at it I would suggest a test piece before spending much money on exotic wood. Good luck.

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
Stock wood
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 05:17:50 AM »
This isn't my first one. I did one out of maple not to long ago but wasn't impressed with the way the grain in the wood looked. Just to plain. i got the hole drilled correctly.  It's still layin aroud somewhere.

The more i look at the maple burl the more i like it. But i still can't seem to find a place that has a piece big enough for the butt stock. This project is gonna take awhile to acomplish. :?

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.