Author Topic: What kind of groups expected with an Ultra Slug barrel?  (Read 708 times)

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
What kind of groups expected with an Ultra Slug barrel?
« on: July 21, 2005, 09:47:55 AM »
I personally don't own one, but I always like entertaining the thought of a new Handi. I like slug guns, however I am not the most experienced with them. I also realize a slug rifle isn't a "target" gun buy any means. But I am curious when one of you do actually try to group one, what kind of groups are you guys getting out of these?
Any caliber more accurate than an other-410, 12, 20, etc...?

Offline 3s3k

• Trade Count: (0)
What kind of groups expected with an Ultra
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 09:58:57 AM »
I can only speak to the 20gauge USH at bench rest cloverleaf pattern at
75yds and 2-3inchs groups at 125yds consistently with proper sabots of course.My USH seems to prefer Lightfield Hybred EXP'S at 75yds and
Remington Ultra Core-Lokts and Barnes Expanders at 125yds,have not tried past 125yds due to low power scope and not really a need however
have heard others do.GL

Offline myarmor

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 10:04:03 AM »
I am not even up to date as far as ballistics of newer sabots and slugs. How far away do usually sight in at?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 07:08:59 PM »
Well...if my new 12ga. USH I'm picking up this week shoots as good as my last one...I can expect 1" to 1-1/2" groups at 100 yards with it...that was with the Lightfields as well.....with the new sabot on the market...and with the likes of the new Hornady...http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=148...that's due out by hunting season...maybe even smaller...who knows...anything is possible :)  

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline jeff223

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 12:44:34 AM »
the ultraslugs will shoot as good if not better than NEFs handi rifles.the ultraslugs come with a test target right from the factory and most are real shooters.12 or 20 it dont matter they are a good value

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 05:15:04 AM »
Yup...These guys are all correct...Tight groups with the USH is totally attainable as long as you do your job...Not every USH likes the same sabots so you are going to have to try out several brands.  Of course I would take some brand recommendations and start with those first.

So go ahead and buy a USH and join the party...Support an American firearm manufacturer.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Lost Okie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 03:19:45 PM »
My 20 USH likes the Rem Copper Solids 1 to 1.5" at 100 yrds off a bypod rest.  Tried the buckhammers, federals and winchesters with no luck.  Not sure if Hornady is making their new sabot in 20, if so I will have to try it.  Like everyone has said, the USH will shoot!!!

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 03:03:00 AM »
Quote from: Lost Okie
Not sure if Hornady is making their new sabot in 20, if so I will have to try it.

Lost Okie,

I e-mailed Steve at Hornady a few days ago asking if they would be making the SST Slug in 20ga. He said that they came out with the SST in 12ga first naturally, but they are working on the 20ga and should be out by mid '06. So we are going to have to wait for another year or so. :cry:

This was my question.

Steve,

Is there any plans for a 20ga SST Slug in the near future? I have been waiting for some information, but all I have seen is the 12ga ad. Please consider this, the 20ga is becoming the gun of choice for the new slug hunters with the high tech slugs being made today. I have a 20ga with a 1-28 twist that shoots so good with the Remington Core-Lokt Ultra and Winchester Partition Gold, but would really love to have it offered with your SST bullet. I have been using your SST's in my muzzleloaders and absolutely love them. I will be keeping an eye out for these.

This was the answer!

We started out with the 12 'cause that seemed to be the logical choice. We're since finding out however that there may actually be more in 20 gauge than 12. Who'd a thunk it?
Anyway we're working on it and should have it available mid '06
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline myarmor

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 01:51:50 PM »
I didn't know for sure how accurate they could be. I am glad I posted on here. Man I don't need a slug gun....But....Ahhhh..I have to stop.
Maybe sometime next year I can fit one of these into my budget.