Author Topic: Am I crazy? .45lc?  (Read 874 times)

Offline RedRyder21

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Am I crazy? .45lc?
« on: July 21, 2005, 03:27:17 PM »
I have my eye on a really nice ruger blackhawk with a .45acp and .45lc cylinder with a 5.5 inch barrel...

My question is, seems like every time someone talks about the .45lc they talk about handloading for it. The pistol will only be used when I am walking around my property. It dosen't happen very often, but I have the rare run in with a 4 legged critter or the 2 legged trespasser critter.

I won't be hunting with this paticular handgun, and the price of ammo isn't a concern, but it seems like everyone handloads for the .45lc, I haven't got into handloading... Yet...

Am I crazy for buying a .45lc revolver and not want to handload for it?
I love shotguns! :cb2:

Offline cabezaverde

Am I crazy? .45lc?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 03:55:42 PM »
Buy it if you like it. Save your brass, and you will have it if you take up loading. Great gun, I love mine.

Offline Dusty Miller

Am I crazy? .45lc?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 09:26:37 PM »
I guess it depends on what else you have available to pack around your property for dealing with miscellaneous two and four legged critters!  If you've got a 44 mag or 357 mag I'd say you are set.  HOWEVER!!!  One should NEVER let REASON get in the way of acquiring another gun! :-D
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Am I crazy? .45lc?
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 02:44:02 AM »
RedRyder21 - No, you're not crazy, at least not according to your post.  Oh yeah, most folks would want to reload for that caliber becuase they like to shoot them a lot.  You can improve on most any of the older calibers just by reloading semi-wadcutter bullets rather than the older round nose style.  With the big heavy 45 slugs you don't need magnum velocities, the standard velocities will do nicely for the purposes you mentioned.  

If at first you don't reload, just wait (lol), it will happen to you and you will wonder why you didn't do it before.

As for that particular revolver you mentioned - the 45 LC/45 ACP Rugers are fine revolvers - the Ruger is a strong son-of-a-gun that will take heavy hunting loads.  And the 45 ACP cylinder is a plus when it comes to shooting mil-surp ammo.  However, Ray Ordinica just compelted an article for Gun Tests magazine comparing some of the 'convertable' revolvers and found them to be more accuarate with the 45 LC  than with the ACP cartridge, so shooting the ACP cylinder may not be as satisfying as shooting the 45 Colt cartrige.

Also, he found the offerings from Cimarron Arms and some of the other makers of old west reproduction firearms to be absolutely excellent and some of these can probably be had new, for less than even a used Ruger convertable.  

I have toyed with the idea of a nice 4-5/8s" or 5.5" Model of the 1873 Colt as a field carry piece in 45 Colt, but only with factory level loads.  It served well enough on small to medium sized game and predators a century ago, it will do the same today.  JMHO.  Mikey.

Offline Questor

Am I crazy? .45lc?
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 03:21:57 AM »
It's considered a reloader's cartridge  because Ruger, principally, has made stronger guns to allow the cartridge to be loaded to 44 magnum velocity (1300fps or so). Standard ammo for 45LC is 800 to 900fps.  That's OK as far as it goes, it's basically a 45ACP. Most people want more power from it, though.   You don't have to reload for it, but if you want to go hunting with it, consider reloading or getting a 44 magnum instead.  Higher power 45LC ammo that's made for hunting and Rugers is pretty expensive.

I wouldn't hunt with the 800-900fps ammo.
Safety first

Offline Bigdog57

• Avid Poster
Am I crazy? .45lc?
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 04:47:41 AM »
I still lament selling my .45 Blackhawk Convertible some years back, but I needed the money more than the gun at the time.
I agree with the .45LC being more accurate than the .45ACP - even with the extra recoil!  Mine seemed particularly fond of the Winchester Silvertip loads.
Having extra-large mitts, I did find some large target grips for it that fit me better.
With a buddy just having bought a .44 Magnum, I'm getting the Big Bore Revolver bug again.  And I still have the holster rig of the Blackhawk . . .  :-)

Offline RedRyder21

• Avid Poster
Am I crazy? .45lc?
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 06:36:38 AM »
Thanks for the replies! :D

I just got my paycheck and I may go pick it up.
I love shotguns! :cb2:

Offline dogngun

• Avid Poster
Am I crazy? .45lc?
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 12:03:46 AM »
I bought a Vaquero .45LC/.45ACP in January for no reason. I have had .45LC single actions before and I like the way the cartridge shoots - the recoil, etc seems to be more manageable to me than a .44 or even a .357 magnum. There are a number of good factory loads available for .45 LC, over a pretty wide range of performance. It's accurate, funhistorical and damn big.

Also, you get to shoot any .45ACP cartridge made out of a revolver with no concerns about feeding, etc.

You may be crazy anyway, but so what.
Enjoy it.

Mark

Offline redhawk44p

• Avid Poster
Am I crazy? .45lc?
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 01:33:14 AM »
I love my 5.5 Blackhawk. It is a very portable powerhouse.

Offline oso45-70

Handgun General Discussion
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 06:14:59 AM »
redhawk44p

The proof is in the pudding. Good job Redhawk, They don't get any deader.........Joe.........
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline redhawk44p

• Avid Poster