Author Topic: looking at a used C&H Press  (Read 1061 times)

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
looking at a used C&H Press
« on: July 23, 2005, 12:01:53 AM »
Questions for the group, I am looking at getting my feet wet in swaging because I need to make bullets for paper patching :)

1) Would a used C&H press that I can get real cheap with the right size dies be ok to start?

2) What books would you recommend a total newbie read on swaging?

Thanks for any input.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 02:44:37 AM »
GregP42,
I suggest you contact Dave Davidson at 4D Die Service in Mount Vernon, Ohio. He bought out all of the C&H stuff when they went out of buisness. Dave's an honest guy and he can tell you if the press you have in mind will do what you want. You can ask him about swaging dies also.
Dave375HH

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 05:32:24 AM »
A lot of budding swagers are put off by the seemingly high prices of some swaging equipment. However, the prices of used Corbin and/or RCE basic equiptment seem to hold their selling prices very well. As a matter of fact, I've observed some eBay sales even exceed retail prices. Because of this, and because Corbin and/or RCE tooling is of higher quality and much more supportable I would definitely suggest you save money and produce superior bullets by going that route.  As to the CH press and dies, swaging has advanced light years since that system was designed. Too, if you are going to make anything other than .38 or.44 lead or 1/2 or 3/4 jacketed pistol bullets you will probably pay quite a bit for the custom made dies. As to a good swaging book to read, I believe Corbin Co has one ( HB-8) on it's web site for free downloading or real time review. It is excellent. 8)

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 11:30:32 AM »
Quote from: dave375hh
GregP42,
I suggest you contact Dave Davidson at 4D Die Service in Mount Vernon, Ohio. He bought out all of the C&H stuff when they went out of buisness. Dave's an honest guy and he can tell you if the press you have in mind will do what you want. You can ask him about swaging dies also.

Dave,

Thanks, I didn't know tht they were that close. I am only about 120 miles from there over outside of Dayton, Oh.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 11:37:28 AM »
Talon,

The money is an issue at the moment, all I am wanting to make are 45 cal paper patch bullets, I might do some 32 and 41 later on, but for the most part it would just be for the 45-70 using paper patch. I will look at the corbin site again to see if I can fine that book on there, but so far I only saw where you can buy it on there.

Greg
NRA Life Member
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 01:16:23 PM »
Greg P42
  go to  http://www.corbins.com/books.htm  and scan down to the handbook #8 advertisement and click on one of the hyperlinks in that text.  It will take a little time to download the text of the book ( no pictures).
  If you are building paper patch  bullets for a .457/8, .32 and/or .41 the die maker has to know that, and probably the thickness of paper you'll be using as well. I scanned the CH/4-D site, but didn't see any published prices/size availability on those old swag-o-matic dies, but I believe they can supply the size you need, but I bet the price will be very steep: Machinist's time runs about $80/hr, and then there's special steels and harding costs. Give them a call and see. 8)

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 10:10:08 PM »
Quote from: talon
Greg P42
  go to  http://www.corbins.com/books.htm  and scan down to the handbook #8 advertisement and click on one of the hyperlinks in that text.  It will take a little time to download the text of the book ( no pictures).
  If you are building paper patch  bullets for a .457/8, .32 and/or .41 the die maker has to know that, and probably the thickness of paper you'll be using as well. I scanned the CH/4-D site, but didn't see any published prices/size availability on those old swag-o-matic dies, but I believe they can supply the size you need, but I bet the price will be very steep: Machinist's time runs about $80/hr, and then there's special steels and harding costs. Give them a call and see. 8)

Talon,

Many thanks, have them all downloaded now. Is it just me or does the flashing graphics on that site give you head aches too? I will read through all these before I decide what I am going to do, again, many thanks.

Greg
NRA Life Member
Vis Sis Mis!