Author Topic: Thread Locker  (Read 444 times)

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Thread Locker
« on: July 23, 2005, 02:02:23 AM »
I am putting my first scope on without a gunsmith.   I  am putting Talley bases, and rings on a new Model 70 in 300WSM.    Do I need thread locker on the bases.     If so, will it work with the grease the bases come packed in, or do I need to remove any lubricant with solvent.    Thanks in advance for helping with such a rookie question,    Curly

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Thread Locker
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 02:45:55 AM »
When I install new mounts, I clean the mount and screws with a digresser. I also clean out the mount holes in the rifle. I put blue lock tite on the screw threads and tighten down the mount. I tighten each screw a little until the mount is seated, then I tighten the mount screws from out side to inside.  With the rings, I do not use any thread locker, but I do tighten down the screw a little at a time and go around the rings like I would tighten a tire on a car. (In a pattern) *Not tightening down one screw all the way*. I have never had a scope slip on me.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Dave in WV

Thread Locker
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 03:01:38 AM »
I use zippo or Ronson lighter fluid to clean the base screws and the holes in the receiver. You can use fingernail polish instead of loctite but it doesn't hold quite as well but will work.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Curly

• Avid Poster
Thread Locker
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 03:01:45 AM »
Thanks Redhawk,    I put the bases on this morning, but did not clean, degrease or use  threadlock.   I will dissasemble when the rings arrive.   What degreaser did you use, and how did you clean the thread holes.    Thanks again, Curly

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Thread Locker
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 04:47:45 AM »
Quote from: Curly
Thanks Redhawk,    I put the bases on this morning, but did not clean, degrease or use  threadlock.   I will dissasemble when the rings arrive.   What degreaser did you use, and how did you clean the thread holes.    Thanks again, Curly

I use crud buster to clean mount and screws. Just about most digressers will work, just make sure it will not harm the blueing on the gun.  I also used crud buster in the screw holes and use canned air to blast out holes. The kind used to clean keyboards on computers.  (Wear eye protection to keep the solvent from getting in your eyes).
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Curly

• Avid Poster
Thread Locker
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 01:50:31 PM »
Thanks for the help.    Time to clean and remount the bases.  It is nice to have eperienced help at my fingertips.     Thanks again,  Curly

Offline BoarHunter

• Avid Poster
Thread Locker
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 11:48:38 PM »
Personally, after proper cleaning and degreassing, I use epoxy to secure the bases and Blue Loctite for the mounting screws (the bond is not too strong).
Pay attention not to epoxy the screws !

Why epoxy the bases ? Simple, with heavy scope, powerfull caliber, I don't quite trust these small screws that are secured with just a few threads.

To dismout is very easy. You just remove the base screws and with a hot air gun used to strip paint, you heat the bases and snap them off with a rubber hammer.

I fail to understand why Rem, Win and the like don't provide dovetail for scope mounting, like Sako, Tikka, Ruger, Blaser etc.