Author Topic: Hunting in CA  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Rummer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Hunting in CA
« on: July 23, 2005, 05:39:46 AM »
Hi Guys,

I am moving to Northern CA at the end of the year.  I will be there for at least two years.  I don't like the idea of not getting to hunt for that amount of time.

I was checking the California Fish and Game website and found it to be a little less than user friendly.  I was hoping that some of you guys could answer some questions.

1.  It appears that deer tags are given out on a drawing basis.  Am I correct in assuming that no deer tag comes with the hunting license?

2.  What are the odds of being drawn for a deer tag?

3.  Odds being drawn for Elk?

4.  Odds being drawn for pronghorn?

5.  Are there huntable populations of wild pigs in northern CA?

6.  I plan to bring a .35 whelen, .270 WCF, 12 gauge, .22 rifle.  Is this an adequate battery for CA?

7.  Is there adequate public land open for hunting in the Susanville area.

8.  Are there special muzzleloader seasons?  What are the weapons requirements?

I really appreciate any info you guys can give me.  I am basically trying to figure out if it is worthwhile to transport my firearms to CA or should I just leave my stuff in PA and fly home to hunt every thanksgiving.

John

Offline crow_feather

Hunting in CA
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 10:13:39 AM »
Deer hunting is best if you can get a muzzleloader tag. (Drawing) Susanville is a great spot for deer and close to hogs.  Tons of hogs in Calif.

Elk drawings and antelope drawings are about the same as winning the Calif. lottery.  Best of luck.

There is a lot of public land, but there is a lot of public.

When I lived in Calif. I used to spend every season in Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, or Oregon.  Still, if I lived in Susanville, things might have been a lot different.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
Hunting in CA
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 07:24:34 PM »
Rummer, CA, is split into a lot of diffrent districts for hunting. When you buy your Lic. you apply for a tag in the area you plan on hunting. As for your fire power the 270 will take any big game in calif. The 35 might be a little more prefered for any hog hunting.  Susanville has some good hunting area's, also there is Eagle Lake for some fine fishing for the Eagle Lake Trout they have there. People dont even bother to mention the 3 pounders they catch, as they are common.
Just curious, is this a job related thing or a military transfer thing?

Gun Runner

Offline Rummer

• Avid Poster
Hunting in CA
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 02:02:55 AM »
Crow Feather and Gun Runner,  Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.  I really appreciate it.

It job related.  I am a civillian employee of the Army and am being sent to that area.  I will be there for at least the next 2 years.

Rummer

Offline Lawdog

Hunting in CA
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 02:17:15 PM »
Rummer,

As “Gun Runner” stated you have to pick the "Zone" you want to hunt in and purchase the deer tag(s) for that area.  Go to http://www.dfg.ca.gov/hunting/2005tags/2005360a.pdf to check out the quotas for 2005.  There are special deer hunts you can apply for and you take your chances just like any other state.  Research here is the key to success.  The good point is hunting pressure is actually light statewide.  Not anything like it used to be.  Black Bear population is way up.  Second only to Alaska as of last population census taken in 2002.  Pronghorn Antelope drawings are easier to get drawn but the problem is finding public land to hunt.  Most are found on private property.  Elk are a little harder but I manage to get drawn every three years or so.  Odds of being drawn are hard to say but this year I managed to get two Elk tags(one Tule(Fort Hunter Liggett Period 1 Anterless) & one Roosevelt(Siskiyou Either-sex)  and one Pronghorn Antelope(Zone 4, Period 2).  Wild Boar are starting to over run the state.  They have been found in the most unlikely places, Golden Gate Park in San Francisco for one example.  Lots of places to hunt them and they can/do run to the large size.  Real trophies, 300 plus pounds with tusks in the 7”(+/-), are not uncommon.  Your chosen battery will work just fine.  In fact the .35 Whelen may come in handy when hunting large Black Bear and Wild Boar.  Lots of BLM(Bureau of Land Management) land available for hunting/public use.  Maps are available at any BLM office.  One place off the top of my head is Cow Mountain area located in Lake and Mendocino Counties.  Over 60,000 acres available for public use.  Another is the Mendocino National Forest.  It is located in portions of seven counties; Butte, Colusa, Glenn, Lake, Mendocino, Tehama, and Trinity.  Hunting, fishing, camping, swimming and boating abound.  If I can be of any help just send my a PM and I will be glad to help all I can.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Rummer

• Avid Poster
Hunting in CA
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 03:40:27 PM »
Thanks Lawdog

Offline Gun Runner

Hunting in CA
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 04:27:42 PM »
Lawdog I know I spelled "ZONE", just had my fingers on the wrong keys. :oops:

Rummer, If you havant looked it up heres the local link to susanville

http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genInfo.php?locIndex=10947

Should be able to give you some local info. Map quest says it 86 miles to reno, but everything says its 76.5 miles to reno (nv). (figgers). Ifin you go to reno remember you have to go thru the CA. ag. station going back. They check for flowers, fruit and who knows what else. you cant bring fresh fruit, or flowers back into CA.
Its a stright shot on hi-way 395 from susanville to reno, ifin your inclined to go there.
You going to be at Herlong?

Gun Runner

Offline Lawdog

Hunting in CA
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 09:21:22 AM »
Gun Runner,

Please don't think I was trying to correct your spelling.  I don't do that as I would be in the running for the title of World's Worst Speller.  The greatest thing about computers is the spell checker programs.  I just find it easier to spell Zone than District.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Gun Runner

Hunting in CA
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 08:52:12 PM »
Lawdog, no offence taken, and ifin your running for "Worlds Worst Speller" I'am gonna give you a run for your money for the "Title" :D

Gun Runner

Offline Lawdog

Hunting in CA
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 07:05:06 AM »
Any other entries for "The Worlds Worst Speller" contest?  Lawdog
 :-D  :-D