Author Topic: One of the two best 357's ever made.....  (Read 1648 times)

Offline rdnzl

• Trade Count: (0)
One of the two best 357's ever made.....
« on: July 23, 2005, 11:42:19 AM »
How's that for a conroversial title?

In my opinion, the best 357 Magnum revolvers ever made are the Smith and Wesson Model 686 Distinguished Combat Magnum, and the Ruger GP-100.

My favorite of the two is the 686, and this is my newest, a 686-4 with a square butt and four inch barrel.

N frames are great, but they are more gun than needed for the cartridge. Pythons are fantastic, but my opinions are about fighting handguns that can take a lot of punishment and keep on shooting. Concealment is not the issue, although I can EASILY conceal this gun.

This one is from the last run of the square butt S&W's and has the firing pin on the hammer, and no MIM parts. Sweet double action pull and immaculate SA break. Bigass wood Target grips. ( I love these grips on this gun, they just feel "right")

My intention is not to start any arguments, but to stimulate a little discussion on your favorite 357. and why you like it.

We've all got our opinions and our reasons....let's hear yours!

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 12:48:45 PM »
Ruger Security-Six stainless...BCB

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 12:51:34 PM »
I only have had one, and I really like it, 8" Dan Wesson 357, great trigger and very accurate. I would buy a Ruger if I were to get a new 357, I got the Wesson at a pawn shop and really was surprised at how good it was.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 03:42:01 PM »
HAVE TO AGREE WITH PONCAGUY ON THIS ONE. I HAD A 686 AND IT WAS A FINE REVOLVER, BUT IT DIDN'T HOLD A CANDLE TO MY MODEL  15 DAN WESSON. THE TRIGGER IS SO SWEET RIGHT FROM THE FACTORY, IT DOESN'T NEED A TRIGGER JOB.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline rdnzl

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 03:49:24 PM »
These older 686's have great triggers. This one is as good any Smith I own, and that's quite a few. The double action pull is not overly heavy, and very smooth and consistent all the way to the break. The SA is the proverbial glass rod .....

Offline RedRyder21

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 04:25:51 PM »
What? No pictures of a GP100?

Hopefully I can get one ordered through my dealer this week.

6 inch or 4 inch? Tough decisions! I wish they made the GP100 in 5 inch.
I love shotguns! :cb2:

Offline rdnzl

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 04:32:53 PM »
I don't have one at the moment.

I prefer the non full lugged six incher and the full lugged four.

Offline TScottO

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 05:06:07 PM »
My 686-4 was built into an action pistol rig. There are a few different 686-4 variants I believe but I may be mistaken. The extractor on the one I have has little pins mounted to the cylinder that keeps the star in line when lowering the star after extraction. Ron Power feels this version is the absolute best 686 ever made. I believe I agree.

Take Care,
Scott

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2005, 02:36:36 AM »
How many ways can you say S&W model 27?  27-1, 27-2, 27-3........ :agree:
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline ButlerFord45

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2005, 02:54:55 AM »
:grin: From the topic title, I wasn't sure if I got to vote on two in one post or not.   :)

Actually the best 357 revolver by far was the Korth but it's rediculous price tag puts it in the "Novelty" selection for my part, a play-toy for the wealthy.

The Colt Python, albeit overpriced as well, is none the less an Excellent pistol and as much as I hate to admit it, probably just a bit better than the 27 Smith.

If your looking for the most quality bang for the buck, an old Model 28 S&W, it equates to a 27 on casual Friday.
Butler Ford
He who does not punish evil, commands it to be done.-Leonardo da Vinci
An armed society is a polite society-Robert A. Heinlein
Only the dead have seen the end of war- Plato
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey
tomorrow I may have to eat them- A lady's sweatshirt

Offline BCB

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2005, 03:38:11 AM »
rdnzl,

Is that a picture of Frank Zappa?...BCB

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005, 03:58:06 AM »
pythons are overrated.  i aquired a nice one, and was really excited.  then i made the mistake of comparing it side by side to my 586 smith with 4" barrel.  

single action on both pistols was excellent.  as was the blueing.   double action pull, the smith was ten times as smooth as the python.  the python had stiff spot in the pull.  the smith was/is as smooth as glass the entire pull until it breaks.  

the one area the python beat the smith was balance.  the gun was balanced about perfect, it had a 6" barrel but felt like it had none.  it was amazing.  that being said, i do prefer a bit of weight forward, to counter act recoil.   sometimes i am an oddity.   :lol:

i still have the smith, cashed out the overrated python.   name dont mean $#** to me.  funtion is where it is at.   if it doesnt perform, it doesnt stay with me.   i am sure the new owner will be tickled pink with the python, so long as he doesnt do a side by side with a smith 586. :wink:

btw,  586's can be had really cheap on gunbroker.

Offline rdnzl

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2005, 04:26:32 AM »
Is that a picture of Frank Zappa?

Yessir.

Silly lyrics aside, one of the great American Composers.

Offline Johnny_Revolver

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 12:04:43 AM »
Woo hoo my first post!  I am going to buy a 686 in the future and those pics< drool.. I love those genuine S&W target grips but they are a no go on a round butt new model 686? when did the change over occur? I think I will be seeking out a square butt model. cheers, John.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 01:47:10 AM »
N-Frame, Model 27.  3.5" bbl.  That's my favorite 357.

Offline jhm

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2005, 07:25:48 AM »
I had a S&W 66 2 1/2 in. that I just loved b-4 getting a 686 4 in. If I run across another and it is in the condition mine was in when I let it go to a friend, it will come home with me, thats it I just figured it out my favorite guns would still be here if I didnt have soo many friends from now on no more friends. :grin:  :D    JIM

Offline shooter58

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2005, 09:08:34 AM »
I have a 6-inch and a 4-inch model 19.  Love them both....best triggers I ever pulled.  Sweet and accurate and can tote them all day.

Offline reakin

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2005, 10:18:10 AM »
Hey RedRyder21 - I'm pretty sure Ruger did make the GP100 in a 5 incher.  I think it was a special run for Davidson's.  Check out Ruger's site or Davidson's (galleryofguns.com) for them.  reakin

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2005, 07:28:45 PM »
:cb2: My favorite is my Colt Grizzly. It's kinda the best of both snakes—6" Python barrel, and a King Cobra frame. Strong, accurate, and it really looks great with Hogue cocobolo grips. Not as smooth as a Python, but still mighty fine. I just don't shoot it enough.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Johnny_Revolver

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2005, 12:04:55 AM »
The latest model 686`s really should come from the factory with those target grips, shouldnt they? Beautiful.... :-)

Offline winman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2005, 02:07:10 PM »
I've said this before and I'll say it again.  I still like the Smiths.  My 8 3/8 inch model 27 and my 6" 686 (both older models) are a delight to shoot.  Being a target shooter and sometimes hunter I seem to prefer heavier handguns.  They just  feel better when they are 'hanging out there'.  They  take up a little more room while on the hip, but the better accuracy from a slightly heavier handgun with a respectable sight radius makes it worthwhile, at least to me.

Offline ironfoot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2005, 03:52:40 PM »
S&W 686 plus. Preferably the early ones, with firing pin on the hammer, and no lock. Six inch for gun games, and four inch for carry. I haven't handled one of the 686 plus mountain guns, but would guess it is as close to perfection as a carry gun can get. The 686 plus is 7 shot, and stronger than the 6 shot because the cylinder notch is in the thick part of the cylinder, between chambers.
Act the way you would like to be, and soon you will be the way you act.

Offline Zcarp2

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
Security Six
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2005, 07:59:14 AM »
As much as I don't care for the Ruger semi-autos, I really like the Security Sixes.  2-3/4" and a 6".  I like the trigger better than the model 19 that the wife likes.

I will plink with the 2-3/4" barrel out to 75 yards.  Couple of hits per cylinder, but that ain't the guns fault.
Zcarp2

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get-rich-quick theory of life." - - - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline bigatupa

Best .357 mag.
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2005, 12:30:58 AM »
Colt Python

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2005, 03:02:59 PM »
S&W Mod 29 Classic w/6 1/2" bar. and mod 29 w/8 3/8 bar.(Dirty Harry) :lol: ...............Rick                                                                                                                                                                                 Made a mistake.My first one :o .Mod 29 is my favorite S&W.On .357,I would go with the mod. 686.
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline rdnzl

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2005, 03:06:06 PM »
S&W Mod 29 Classic w/6 1/2" bar. and mod 29 w/8 3/8 bar.(Dirty Harry)  ...............Rick

357?

:grin:

Offline jro45

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2005, 07:43:13 AM »
My 357 is S&W model 13-1 But it kept cracking the forcing cone so I retired it and got a model GP100  4" barrel and it can handel the loads I shoot. :D

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2005, 12:34:30 PM »
Python, do they make any others???  4" or 6", but I think that the 4" ballences out a little better for me.

Greeenriver(But an old used model 19 Smith comes close)
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline RCL

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2005, 01:15:16 PM »
My M28 Smith is the first .357 I've had that I really like. I don't really care for the .357 cartridge one way or the other, but I do like N frame Smith's, and this is a slick one. :grin:
Robert Leggett
"You sure you know how to skin grizz pilgrim?"

Offline oso45-70

Handgun General Discussion
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2005, 05:41:18 PM »
Jro

Your 13-1 M&P should not crack the forcing cone, Does it have the light barrel or the heavy? Some thing is not right unless you were shooting some powerful loads through it. I have run hundreds of loads through one and never had a problem with it. It was a military & police issue for quite a few years. All and All they were a pretty good pistol......Joe.......
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain