Author Topic: Micro mortar  (Read 2576 times)

Offline CU_Cannon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Micro mortar
« on: July 23, 2005, 04:51:46 PM »
I had some time tonight so I decided to make a “pocket” mortar.  

IÂ’m sure it will never fire anything but it might be fun to try.  

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
micro mortar
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 08:58:18 PM »
That sure is a cute little thing. Do you think it could launch an acorn? Or is it just a noisemaker? Have fun!!
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Micro mortar
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 04:56:32 AM »
Very Nice!!!

Whats next? A key chain mortar :-D
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Micro mortar
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 05:00:38 AM »
Wife is very impressed as am I.  She does want to know, is that decoration or a mortar...what does it shoot!?!

I gotta build one!

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
Micro mortar
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 05:48:00 AM »
Thanks.  The bore is 50 cal. with a 1/4 x 1/4 powder chamber.  I built it mainly for fun.  I will try to fire it at some point.  I just need to find some fuse small enough.  I'm not sure what I would fire.  A lead ball would weight as much as the entire barrel.  I was thinking maybe wooden beads or something similar.  

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Micro mortar
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 06:15:57 AM »
A .490" lead round ball would weigh about 177 grains.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Micro mortar
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2005, 06:29:24 AM »
Now THERE's the plan (scaled up just a LITTLE) for paintball!

I think I can come up with some scraps of 304 or 404 stainless.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
Micro mortar
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 06:38:38 AM »
I just need to find some fuse small enough.

What about pulling the fuse out of a standard inch and a half firecracker?
That should be small enough as well as the right length.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
Micro mortar
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2005, 08:10:38 AM »
How small is small enough?

I have some of the 1/16" "Premium" fuse from CannonFuse.com that actually measures about .070" in diameter. The vent diameter would need to be drilled 5/64" for this fuse.

They also have a standard grade 1/16" fuse that I believe is smaller in diameter. I think it is the same as the green fuse in the "TNT" style firecrackers which averages about .053" diameter. I've sent them an e-mail to make sure. If so, this might fit in a 1/16" vent.

I have about a dozen of the "Black Cat" firecrackers that have the long green fuse. I separated these out of packs that I used over the 4th. They are the first cracker in the newer packs, where you light the green fuse.

I can send them to you if you want, to experiment with (just the fuses). You can drill the vent larger later if need be.

Offline Terry C.

Micro mortar
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 02:48:43 PM »
I got a reply from CannonFuse.com.

The standard 1/16" fuse is only slightly thinner than the premium, about .065" in diameter. It is NOT the much smaller green firecracker fuse that I assumed it was.

The only thing they have that might fit down a 1/16" vent is a 1.4mm rolled paper fuse. I don't know if this would be suitable for your application.

A vent diameter of 5/64" should accommodate either 1/16" fuse.

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
Micro mortar
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 04:38:57 PM »
I was thinking of using some firecracker fuse.  I'm not sure that I would ever go through enough small fuse to make ordering it worthwhile.  I just need to enlist the help of some friends in Pennsylvania since fireworks are illegal in New York.  I've been itching to build a firecracker cannon anyway.

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Micro mortar
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 05:28:44 PM »
The vent bore is so short just use some priming powder and a linstock. Don't even need fuse. :-D  Thanks for posting the plans!! I need one of those. Just have to squeeze it in somewhere. How did you attach the trunnion? solder? looks nice and clean.
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.

Offline NONYA

Micro mortar
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 06:16:06 PM »
maybe a small marbel would make a good projectile :eek:
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Micro mortar
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2005, 01:16:01 AM »
Quote from: NONYA
maybe a small marbel would make a good projectile :eek:

I can see it now -

Where are you going?

Out.

What are you going to do?

Play marbles.

OK.

Welcome NONYA!  Let us know what y'all shoot (or would like to).
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline NONYA

Micro mortar
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2005, 02:41:43 AM »
I made a mortar one time that would launch expired AA batterys,a small dose of FFF powder and a piece of the big green cannon fuse,not very complicated but it worked,until I discovered its bounds and blew the damned back end off of it like a grenade!I plan to start somthing new and much more complicated here this winter. :roll:
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
Micro mortar
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2005, 06:16:44 AM »
The trunnion is soft soldered on.  All together it took about 2 hours to build.  

Marbles might work but I'm not sure how consistent the size is.  Ball bearings would be the most accurate.  

600 Stainless Steel Balls 1/2" Ball Mill Ball Bearing

Offline Terry C.

Micro mortar
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2005, 11:10:40 AM »
The eBay ad states that the balls are "about .503", but the box with the quantity 600 gives the size as .512".

Aren't these going to be too large for your bore? Or are you going to rebore to fit the ball?

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Micro mortar
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2005, 05:13:18 PM »
How about a Bronze one! I managed to squeeze one in today. I really like the way it turned out. Thanks again Cu_Cannon for posting the prints. I've got a suprise for the carriage. Wait till you see :lol: Now that I have one, I can't decide what to do for a vent :? maybe 1/16" fuse, or maybe fuse pulled from some firecrackers? I like this idea best but crackers are hard to get around here. (read illegal) I also bought some .490 balls today. What kind of charge do you guys sugest? Maybe 15 grains. Later, Wesley

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
Micro mortar
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2005, 05:37:42 PM »
Nice work as always Powder keg.  I really like the bronze.  These are really fun to make.  

I was thinking something around a 10 to 15 grain charge.  I like the idea of using a mini linstock.  Experimentation is in order.

The eBay link was mainly an example.  It wouldn't be all that much trouble building one that would fire the slightly larger balls though.

Offline Double D

Micro mortar
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2005, 06:34:49 PM »
Quote from: Terry C.
The eBay ad states that the balls are "about .503", but the box with the quantity 600 gives the size as .512".

Aren't these going to be too large for your bore? Or are you going to rebore to fit the ball?

Let's see  (.512/39)40= .525 for proper windage...    :)

Offline Double D

Micro mortar
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2005, 06:35:22 PM »
Quote from: Terry C.

Let's see  (.512/39)40= .525 for proper windage...    :)

Offline CAV Trooper

• Avid Poster
Micro mortar
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2005, 05:39:02 AM »
Quote from: CU_Cannon
I was thinking of using some firecracker fuse.

Check cannonfuze.com again. They now have 1.4mm (.0551") firecracker type paper fuse in bundles of 100 one foot pieces for $6. 1/16" is .0625 so this stuff should work great for you. Also, no problems with your state fireworks laws. 100 feet will last you forever but for six bucks how can you go wrong?
“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

Offline Terry C.

Micro mortar
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2005, 08:38:05 AM »
I was reluctant to endorse the paper fuse in my earlier post, since I didn't know how stiff it was. Then I got to thinking that the actual depth of the vent is so short that there shouldn't be a problem getting the fuse down in the hole.

I wish I could find a source for the very small green fuse, short of cannibalizing firecrackers for their fuses.

IMHO you would come out cheaper ordering fuse, and it would be a lot less hassle.

I decided to try the fuse I have in my arsenal, so I drilled some holes in a piece of wood to see just what vent sizes are practical.

First up is the green fuse scavenged from the firecrakers. This is roughly the same diameter as the paper from CannonFuse.com and will slip down in a 1/16" diameter hole. This fuse is relatively stiff so getting it down the hole was not a problem. Once again, I'm wishing for a source for this size fuse and would buy a roll if I could find it.

Next up is the 1/16" Premium Chinese Visco from CannonFuse.com. The sizes listed for the fuse are just approximations and this fuse will not fit in a 1/16" hole. It will slip easily down a 5/64" hole. It would be perfect for smaller bores with up to 1/8" vents.

Last Is a piece of 3/32" American Visco. I have red and green and there is no significant difference in the size of the two. Although it is smaller than 1/8", it is too tight in that diameter hole to be practical in my opinion. It fits very easily in a 11/64" hole.

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Micro mortar
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2005, 08:46:01 AM »
Terry C. wrote
I was reluctant to endorse the paper fuse in my earlier post, since I didn't know how stiff it was. Then I got to thinking that the actual depth of the vent is so short that there shouldn't be a problem getting the fuse down in the hole.

There is a joke there somewhere :)
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"

Offline Terry C.

Micro mortar
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2005, 09:01:22 AM »
Quote from: Powder keg
Terry C. wrote

There is a joke there somewhere :)

I rewrote that twice before I posted...   :wink:

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Micro mortar
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2005, 02:18:07 PM »
Hi, I didn't quite get my suprise carriage finished, but I couldn't wait to show you people. I was busy this weekend making the pattern for this casting. I can't find the bolts I was going to use to hold the trunion caps on. I'll have to look around for them. I might end up using some cap screws. Or mabey some brass pan head screws. Any Ideas? I think I'm going to paint the carriage OD green. I can hardley wait until its done, so I can shoot her :grin:

[/img]

[/img]
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
Micro mortar
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2005, 02:55:20 PM »
Oh! My “bye-bye” Ring FingerÂ…Â…Â…   :(
Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline Terry C.

Micro mortar
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2005, 04:00:22 PM »
Well, I admit I am surprised.

I thought I'd seen pretty much everything.

In the words of Ron 'Tater Salad' White: "But I was WRONG!"

Methinks a small bed with a stubby wooden "finger" would make a good firing platform.

Offline CU_Cannon

• Contributor
Micro mortar
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2005, 10:38:26 AM »
Now that is clever!  

It will be a long time before anyone tops that.

Offline CAV Trooper

• Avid Poster
Micro mortar
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2005, 11:00:08 AM »
That is way cool!  :-D
The latest addition to an ever expanding line of personal defense equipment.   :biggun:

And you don't even need a permit for it.   :grin:
“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein