Author Topic: Recommendations for inexpensive but quality 40 or 45?  (Read 2569 times)

Offline A62Rambler

• Trade Count: (0)
Recommendations for inexpensive but quality 40 or 45?
« on: February 22, 2003, 02:03:50 PM »
I was trying to swing getting either a Sig 245 or H-K USP45C but times are hard since I moved. Since I moved I have 90 days to wait before I purchase and I'm looking for suggestions on a quality but less expensive alternative. I'm not much of a glock fan but money's tight. Any other suggestions for a comparably sized pistol in single or double stack that is less expensive than the above menitioned pistols.
If I was a horse, they'd have shot me!

Rob

Offline Mainspring

• Avid Poster
Recommendations for inexpensive but quality
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2003, 07:44:02 PM »
A lot of folks have been pretty happy with some of the Tauris offerings lately.  I can't speak from experience, since I have none (save for a few rounds fired from their copy of the Beretta M92 many many moons ago), but I've seen them get some pretty good write ups.
The key to winning a gun fight is to take your time...quickly

If you continue to think as you've always thought, you'll continue to get what you've always got...Is it enough?

Offline DEPUTY

• A Real Regular
    • http://MGOUC.COM
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2003, 02:50:22 AM »
get a good used wheel gun, or  i hav eheard good on the kel -tecs from some i just havent read any real test on on them either

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2003, 06:56:20 AM »
A62,
I see a lot of S&W and Glock police tradeins for about $300/350 range in .40. That might be an option as well.
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Slug-Gunner

Reliable RUGERS!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2003, 07:51:32 AM »
The Ruger P-series semi-autos are known for their reliability and accuracy right out-of-the-box. They have exceptional quality for their price range, which is quite affordable. I'm not familiar with the latest series available, but the P-94 & P-95 series made a reputation for their reliability and accuracy. I have a .40 S&W P-91DC that has had a few thousand rounds put thru it WITHOUT A SINGLE MALFUNCTION or FAILURE TO FIRE.
Look at the Ruger topic here and here's a hyperlink for the Ruger web site
http://www.rugerforum.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/rugerforum/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro
 :lol:  :)  :-D  :wink:
HUNT SAFELY - THINK AT ALL TIMES!

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2003, 08:20:33 AM »
Slug-Gunner,
Right you are about the Ruger P series! They are inexpensive and reliable right out of the box! In my experience the accuracy is acceptable for a service pistol as well. They are a little bulky for CCW unless you live in a colder climiate than I------
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline A62Rambler

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2003, 12:25:14 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess to add more info, I'm thinking of using it for CCW some. I have a small frame revolver that I can carry but I'm not much of a revolver fan. I plan to get a smaller auto in 32 or 380 later for pocket carry when concealment is a problem but that will come later. Right now I'm looking for something to do double duty as a semi concealable weapon and for bedside and general plinking duties.

Rob

Offline RollTide

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2003, 06:01:07 PM »
I bought a Llama 45 MiniMax .  Always looked down on thenm and never would own a Llama, but this one was so cheap I could not lose money.  It shoots so great and feels so good and functions so well that it is now my primary weapon if I really think there will be trouble.

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2003, 02:58:37 AM »
The Llamas are a hit or miss thing. The good ones are OK and the others are------------!? Glad you got one that works!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline Buck

I had pretty much the same question
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2003, 07:22:13 AM »
I'm glad I found this post. I'm looking at buying a second gun, either a .40 or a .45.  I only have two differences.  First, I live in a non CCW allowed state (Missouri), that's not really an issue...yet.  (The MO legislature is in the process of trying to pass a CCW law that was shot down by voters.  It's a long story and still irks me).  Second, I'm concerned with ambidextrous operation -- I shoot left-handed; my wife shoots right-handed.

Offline Savage

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2003, 09:31:17 AM »
Buck,
As at this time CCW is not an option in your state, the Ruger P series would be hard to beat. The DC models (Decocker) have ambi decocking levers and should work well for you and your wife. My wife has limited hand strength and had trouble racking the slide on my 1911s and Glocks. She picked out a KP95-DC Ruger for that reason alone. The gun has been used off and on by my son for the last three years in IDPA matches with out a burp. My wife has put a couple of thousand rounds thru it as well. Mostly 147gr cast reloads without any problems. We paid under $300 for the gun. Is that a value or what!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline A62Rambler

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2003, 10:22:36 AM »
Buck,
Glocks are very ambidextrous with a good reputation(I'm not personally a Glock fan) The new Springfield XD is quite ambi' as well. If money is no object, the H-K P7 was and is fully built to be shot and handled with either hand but finding one of the few made in 40 S&W would be a job in and of itself. I've shot a few Rugers and they were not to my liking at all(to each his own) but are good reliable weapons. Since you are the lefty if my memory is working today it is less of a problem. In my law enforcement days we were required to shoot with both hands as part of qualification and I learned to adapt to right handed controls when shooting lefty. Much easier for you to learn to adjust with practice than for your wife to adjust if she isn't as avid a handgunner as you. I personally prefer Sigarms and H-K pistols but have troubles getting the money for them. I guess a double action revolver isn't very glamorous and not in the calibers you seem to want but it is easily used with either hand. Wow, that was more than you probably wanted to know even for free!  :wink:

Rob

Offline Buck

Thanks
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2003, 12:34:34 PM »
Thanks for your help.  Actually, I already have one handgun -- a S&W Wesson Model 66.  I don't dislike revolvers, I just already own one.  However, having one gun in a two-enthusiast household can be a drag; and I said my next gun would be a .40 or .45 automatic.  My wife likes to shoot as much as I do; my father-in-law got me interested in handguns.  Oddly enough, I'm not really a lefty.  It's just my right-eye is bad enough that I shoot better left-handed.  I learned to shoot right-handed when during M-16 qualifying in the military.  It still feels a little odd to shoot left-handed, but I can sight a target a lot better and quicker left-handed.

Offline ppcrusa

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2004, 11:24:31 AM »
Other mentioned the Ruger P-Series. The P97 in  45ACP is a nice pistol.
It won't break the bank either.
On the other end of the spectrum is Rock Island Armory. They make a 1911 style pistol that I understand works well. The RIA pistol can be bought for around $325 if you shop in a good place.
The P97 can be had for around $369 or so.
On the lower end, you can pick up a Llama Mini Max 45 for around $260.
I'd stick with the Ruger in this case. The Llama is ok, but is not finished as well. Rugers also have the backing of Ruger which in my opinion means a lot.
The RIA 1911 is good for someone that wants a decent gun and you can use it for later enhancements like match barrels, grips, internal parts changeouts,etc.
For more money of course better things can be had. But I DO understand not having the money to buy a lot.
Further up the scale is the Springfield Armory XD40(i have one in the 4" bbl), and it is a good pistol. The mags are a little hard to insert when fully loaded. The mag release is a little hard to push in on a full mag as well. But the XD40 I have is a tack driver. Mine was $429. But you can get them much cheaper than that probably.
And of course a step even further would be a Glock 30. 10 rds. of 45ACP is hard to beat. And the G30 is fairly compact. The slide is wide, but not really too wide. They run around $509 around here.
Good Luck, and I hope whatever you decide upon does well for you.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2004, 04:57:25 PM »
Springfield XD 40 has an ambidextrous mag release.  Glock does not offer this in their 40 cals.  I am a left handed shot so that alone might make all the difference to me.  I could hit the mag release with my left index finger but hitting it with my thumb feels more natural.  The XD-40 can be had for around $440 or so.  I've actually seen one for less at Gander Mtn.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Savage

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2004, 02:49:13 AM »
Speaking of ambi mag releases, I have a P-95 back in the safe somewhere that I have shot a few times in IDPA. It has an ambi mag release. I recall using my trigger finger to operate it was faster and required no change of the firing grip as it does when using my strong side thumb.
Savage

Offline bconway84

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2004, 04:00:53 AM »
I will go with those that have recommended the Ruger P97, mine has been great. Have carried it daily for 3 years and it also will handle any ammo you try in my experience. I would like to suggest you might consider the new P345 also, I have not shot one but have looked at it and it has a real good feel. If it is as good as the P97 you can't go wrong.
"A superior combat handgunner is best defined as one who uses his superior judgement to avoid situations requiring the use of his superior skills."

Offline Washita

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2004, 06:03:58 PM »
You should check out the line of CZ 75's before making a final decision.  I just recently bought a new CZ 75 P-01 and absolutely love it.  Excellent accuracy and dead reliable, also one of the most highly tested handguns in history.  The P-01 is the new handgun of the Czech National Police, and is NATO approved.  But it's a 9mm & you say you're interested in .40S&W or .45 ACP.  Here's a CZ 75 in .40 S&W on Gunbroker that sounds well within your targeted price range.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=27200655

Good luck and happy shooting!

-Wash
-Wash

Offline Washita

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2004, 06:22:41 PM »
Oops!  I just realized I mislead you on the CZ.  Technically, the model that the link I provided will take you to is a CZ 40P, which is a 75 in all but name.  If you would like to read some comments from actual owners, go to:

http://p201.ezboard.com/fczechpistols82792frm67

This one looks like a heck of a bargain to me.

-Wash
-Wash

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2005, 08:06:19 AM »
Ruger in 45 ACP. Can't be beat for reliability and quality.
shot placement is everything.

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2005, 12:34:17 PM »
Just bought the new Ruger P345 last week. Have only put about 75 rounds through it, but great so far. Two other Ruger semiautos and have never had a malfunction of any kind. Highly recommend any of them.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline azmike

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2005, 09:19:46 AM »
I suggest a Steyr M(full size) or S(compact) series in .40.  I bought my S40 NIB with four magazines and shipping for $365.00.  Best 365 I ever spent, it shoots circles around my issued Beretta, and my buddy's Glock 27, which incidentally cost 100 bucks more with PLASTIC sights.  
The Steyr has a safety and an internal lock, if that's important to you, a trigger mechanism similar to the Glock, outstanding sights and ergonomics, a low bore axis, a durable tenifer fininsh, steel magazines that allow a thinner grip profile.
Mine has proven accurate and dead reliable.  

On the negative side, prices are going up on these, and if you decide to buy one, spring for extra magazines right away, as they are getting harder to come by.

I got mine through CDNNinvesments.com.  I went to their website and downloaded a catalog.  There is a telephone number on the website as well.

Good luck.

Offline Dave H20 Fowl

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2005, 11:22:34 AM »
If you can get over/used to the strange sights a Steyr M40 is a quality made arm.  I bought the 9mm version, the M9, and have really enjoyed it.  Under $300 tax and all.  Austrian made.

Offline Tacoma

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2005, 03:11:19 AM »
Assuming your looking for something compact, The Star FireStars are worth a look. I'm generally a name brand (mostly S&W) guy but these are made VERY well and function flawlessly. Very compact but not light ( THese are ALL steel.)  Controls are very similar to a 1911. I've ow got one in 45 and 9mm. You cna find hem around for $250-$300 in stainless or less in matte blue.

Offline DakotaMike

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2005, 03:48:03 PM »
A62Rambler,
I would suggest you look at the AMT 45 Backup. I have carried one for years in 45ACP and it has been 100% reliable. This is a very small pistol but I found it very controllable in 45acp.
stainless steel construction
45ACP caliber
5 in the clip and one in the chamber
double action only ( no gimmics no safeties)
accuracy: 6 shots on a paper plate at 50 feet (deliberate fire)
dakotamike

Offline lazyi

My vote is for the Springfield XD 40
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2005, 06:04:01 AM »
I have to say that I am really liking my XD. I have had and fired several handguns through my life and had a real problem for a "long" time with the so called plastic guns! I didn't like he Glocks grip so that stenghtened my dislike. I found myself in the same boat as you a few months back, not wanting to spend to much but not wanting to waste my time and $ on a POS either. My buddie convinced me to try his XD 9 and it felt really good in my hand. Kinda like a CZ but lighter. It shot pretty god too even though the trigger was not what I was used to. But I liked it. I seed to cycle faster than any pistol I've ever fired. I liked it enough that I bought on in 40 cal. for $429.00 at the Sportsmans Warehouse. I am very satisfied with this funky plastic bast**d! I am thinking about sending it in when I can afford it to the Springfield custom shop to have the barrel fitted and get a tigger job. They are supposed to do a very nice job with this work and supposedly it will cut the groups by 50% "their words not mine" and the triggers are supposed to be sweet when they are finished. Well, good luck making your choice. I just wanted to put my vote in for the XD, I think it deserves the credit!