Author Topic: Scope mount on a shotgun barrel?  (Read 823 times)

Offline jerkface11

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Scope mount on a shotgun barrel?
« on: July 26, 2005, 02:59:06 PM »
H&R's website says you can't drill and tap a shotgun barrel for a scope mount. Is there any reason why you can't? I want one of the 28 gauge ones but I'd want to put a red dot on it.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 04:25:57 PM »
They say don't do it to keep the lawyers happy. Any good smith should be able to do it for you with a 28ga. What are you planning on using a red dot scoped 28Ga for?
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline jerkface11

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 10:50:24 AM »
I plan on squirrel hunting with it.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 07:01:05 PM »
That will be a rare squirrel gun in deed. Should be efective as all get out.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 11:04:14 AM »
I have Squirrel hunted a couple of time with my 28 ga.  And I have found it to be a little under powered for the Tree rats.  Have to take a killing shot at the wounded squirrel.  I just think if your going to hunt  an anminal you owe it at least a effective kill.  If I were to spend the money on a gun that is only for squirrel hunting I think I would choose a 20 ga. And have a GOOD gun smith drill and tap it for a scope rail.  But  my 16 ga NEF will reach out and knock the heck out of the tree rats.  No second shot needed with it.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline jerkface11

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 11:24:35 AM »
If a .410 will kill them no reason a 28 gauge won't and if the choke isn't tight enough i can always have a gunsmith put choke tubes in it.

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 11:45:53 AM »
I didn't say you couldn't kill a squirrel with a .410 or .28 ga.  But if it was me I'd spent the money on maybe a 20 ga mod choke.  But if you feel the 28 ga. will fill your bill then do it.  I was just trying to tell you what I have seen in the hunts I have been on using my 28 ga. squirrel hunting.  Don't get me wrong the 28 ga. is a very fun gun to shoot.  The Ammo is kinda high but Walmart has the Target AA loads for like 6 bucks a box.  And it does make a GREAT bird gun.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 05:19:15 AM »
I personally never liked killing squirrels with a scattergun.  Either too much lead in them or too much meat damage or took too many shots.  I loved my old Marlin 22lr.

One shot, bang flop.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline tanoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 01:41:14 AM »
Hey jerkface my 410 kills them just as good as my 12 so the 28 would be no problem . they leave the barrel at the same velocitys , just less pellets. I use a scatter gun for all tree hunting  i do love to use the .22 as do the kids but for safety reasons the 22's are used only to take game on the ground or when that squirrel is hugging the center of a large tree. Ive seen to many times where some hunters are tring to pop squirrels out of the tree tops not knowing where the bullets are landing

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 11:06:17 AM »
Hey Handirifle.  I agree hunting squirrel with a rim fire is very good.  But like said earier in this theard some places I hunt also are too confined to be using the rim fire load.  So in those areas I use a shotgun.  In those areas I normally use my NEF 16 ga. full choke 28 in barrel.  Its a pure squirrel killer.  But I have used my .410 and .28 ga to hunt squirrel and they just DON'T do the job like the 16 ga. does.  Yes I've killed squirrel with my .410 but I make sure they are up close.  Same with my .28 ga.  Can anyone say they are taking 30-35 yrd shot with their .410 or .28 ga ??
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline jerkface11

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 02:19:34 PM »
Dave i've shot them with a 12 gauge and had to finish them off with a .22 before nothing is a sure thing. And i don't plan on shooting at them when they're 30 yards away.

Offline tommy_tsunami

Don't wanna look like a "jerkface"!
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 06:41:50 AM »
Just a word of caution.... My friend had a 12 gauge Tracker II that he decided to put a scope on.  He took it to a gunsmith who drilled and installed an H&R "weaver" style base.

He installed a nice 3x9 on it and shot it a few times.  Well, he shot a particularly hot slug one day (can't remember the brand) and without having a good hold on 'er, the scope slammed back, giving him a nice "ring around the eye" (thus the comment about looking like a jerkface  :P )

Well, when that scope hit his brick head, the ENTIRE base and scope came off!  You CAN'T believe how much me and my brother were laughing at this dope while he writhed around in pain  :lol:

The screws came right out of the threads, trashing the top of his gun.  Mind you, this was just the impact of hitting this dude in the face.

Think about it  :shock:

Offline jerkface11

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2005, 12:16:47 PM »
Well it'll be a red-dot on a 28 gauge so i don't think i'll have that problem or at least i hope not.

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 06:32:01 AM »
What red dot site are you planning on using?  I have used the Millet SP1 which is a fine site and the BSA 1 inch version that does not have the built in rail clamps.  This BSA has been on my 20 gauge for a year now and has held up to around 20 slugs and 25 3 inch rounds loaded with #4 shot.  This one has a push button light setting and I much prefer the drum style.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline jerkface11

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005, 06:49:34 AM »
I'll just get a cheap BSA or Ncstar