Author Topic: White tail expedition  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Howler

• Trade Count: (0)
White tail expedition
« on: February 22, 2003, 04:57:26 PM »
Any one useing this simmons scope? whats your thoughts on this scope? personally couldnt believe the clarity of this scope for the bucks! seems as clear & bright as my leupold tactical.

Howler

Offline Zachary

White tail expedition
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2003, 04:08:10 AM »
Please don't be fooled for a scope's alleged "clarity" and "brightness" when you are looking through it in a store.  To be honest, it is sometimes difficult to tell the difference between a $500 Leupold and a $100 Tasco in the store.  The real test is when you are out in the woods, especially during dusk and dawn hours.

MOREOVER, THERE IS MORE TO A SCOPE THAN JUST IT'S BRIGHTNESS.  Specifically, you need to understand that a scope needs to be shockproof, waterproof, and fogproof.  With regards to shockproof, the adjustments must be good, the reticles must stay in place, etc.  With regard to waterproof and fogproof, well, that prettymuch says it right there.

Simmons scopes, in my experience and opinion (and also that of Graybeard's) are that they are JUNK.  I have seen reticles fall out and adjustments that wouldn't work.  

Now, people may tell you that their Simmons has held up pretty well over the years.  I don't doubt that.  But that notwithstanding, as a whole, Simmons are JUNK.

Save your money and get a better scope.

Zachary

Offline Howler

White tail expedition
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2003, 07:37:25 AM »
Zach, every one has a right to there opinion! but sorry i dont agree! i happen to be one of the people that will tell you that the top of the line simmons scopes have lasted! in fact i have one that is over 10 years old & still funtions as good as new. The expedition is the best simmons i have seen & the comparison was'nt done in a store but in actual use beside a leupold 4.5-14x40 tactical.  To be honest the simmons was as bright as the $500.00 leupold! sorry if im stepping on someones toes, but that is my opinion.  I ask the opinion of someone who has used the scope! evedently you have'nt! You get what you pay for without a doubt,but for the money i believe them very hard to beat...... No flames intended.

howler

Offline SoftPoint

White tail expedition
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2003, 07:57:49 AM »
I put a Simmons shotgun scope on my 444 Marlin, and it shoots a 3 shot cloverleaf group at 100 yards and it has hels it's zero fine. I also have an optician friend who believes that Simmons optics are a goof buy for the money and are strongly built. I wouldn't hesitate to put one on my hunting rifles. After all, on a big game hunting rifle, all you need is a scope and rifle combo that will put a bullet in the animals vital area.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
White tail expedition
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2003, 09:07:04 AM »
I strongly agree!  I have had a simmons on my muzzleloader for several years with no problems what so ever.  The Aetec is one the clearist and most durable scopes under $150!
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Zachary

White tail expedition
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2003, 09:34:02 AM »
Quote from: Howler
I ask the opinion of someone who has used the scope! evedently you have'nt!

Howler, you were asking about the White tail expeditions scope, and I have used this scope.  This was one of the Simmons I was talking about that had the reticles fall out and the adjustments not work properly.  :roll:  (If your post allowed me to mention all of the bad experiences that I have heard from other Simmons owners, then, believe me, I would be typing all day).

Don't worry about any "flames."  You, and everyone else in this great country we live in, has the right to express their opinion.  :wink:  That notwithstanding, recall that I prefaced my post by clearly stating that other people may disagree with me and tell you that they have had good experience with these scopes in general.

I am, however, somewhat perplexed in that, if you are as happy with Simmons scopes as you say you are, and thus would presumably be a Simmons repeat customer, then why are asking for other people's opinions about this particular Simmons scope?  :?  From your last post it almost sounds like you would buy another Simmons regardless of what other people would say.

You are very correct, though, I would never buy a Simmons, and neither would GB, and this is based on our PERSONAL experience.  And by personal it doesn't necessarily mean that we had to buy it, but rather that we actually used it.

If you are happy with the Simmons, then by all means do as you wish.  It doesn't effect me one way or the other.  I was simply giving you my personal experience.  It's okay, no biggie. :wink:

Zachary

Offline helobill

• Contributor
White tail expedition
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2003, 09:58:59 AM »
I bought an OLD used Simmons 2.5-7 for a Ruger SRH, then it went on a Contender in 44 mag, then a Contender in .30 Bellm, Worked great. But I switched it out for an old Burris with the same power I bought used, and am selling the Simmons to a buddy to put on his Contender. Although the Simmons looks brighter during most of the day, the Burris is better at dusk and dawn IMO. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Simmons if money was an issue (and when isn't it), but if I could scratch up a extra 50 bucks I'd buy a used Burris.

BTW this Simmons has copper colored crosshairs, anyone ever heard of that (or did the color just wear off)?

Helicopter Bill

Offline Howler

White tail expedition
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2003, 10:09:40 AM »
I am a repeat simmons customer! in fact i bought 2 of the expeditions after being very impressed by the first. I was simply asking people if they was as impressed by the optics! Now what's wrong with that??  sorry your offended & that you havent had any luck with them. I will continue to buy them thanks!! There are better scopes without a doubt, but your right i(like others) tend to stick with what has worked for me & simply like to talk about it. Is this against any rules?

Howler owner of- 4-12x44 mag  6.5-20x44mag & 2 expedition 4-12x42

Offline Howler

White tail expedition
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2003, 10:21:41 AM »
OOPs left one out--6-18x40 pro hunter bought in 1991 & still in use on my 223 ruger falling block.

Howler

Offline Zachary

White tail expedition
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2003, 10:59:17 AM »
Howler,

Like I said, I am not offended.  Actually, I think that you are over-reacting a bit.  :?

No, there's nothing wrong with just wanting to know if other people share your enthusiasm for a given product.  The problem is, however, that the manner in which you phrased your question, one would reasonably believe that you had not owned a Simmons scope and, as such, was interested in learning about other people's experiences before buying it.  If you are happy with your Simmons - that's great - that has nothing to do with breaking any "rules." :grin:  Next time, however, just express your post a little more clearer, that's all.

Enjoy your Simmons. :D

Zachary

Offline Howler

White tail expedition
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2003, 11:32:02 AM »
I see where your comeing from! but i thought when i said Quote- "i couldnt believe the clarity when compared to MY leupold tactical" was a dead give away that i already owned the scope. Not  trying to be a smart %^&*( but maybe it was'nt the way it was expressed as much as the way you read it. Either way does'nt matter!! hope we can talk more in the future you seem alright :grin:

Howler