Author Topic: Recoil and little ones?  (Read 3606 times)

Offline nixsrs93

• Trade Count: (0)
Recoil and little ones?
« on: July 28, 2005, 06:08:21 PM »
All,

I am considering a rifle for my three children to take their first deer(s) with. Can you look at the list below and let me know if I have the recoil on the calibers ranked correctly? I am assuming a 7 lb scoped rifle and at least a 100 grain bullet:

lightest recoil

243 win
7-30 waters
257 roberst
260 rem
25-06
7mm-08

Most recoil

Any thoughts as to the best caliber for little ones?

Offline xs pro-comp

Recoil and little ones?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 07:32:35 AM »
I would need more info on your children such as age and yrs. experience shooting, body weight and frame size. What caliber one child can shoot comfortably could be punishable to another. Given this info I could make a better suggestion but I will say this now: make sure which ever gun you get make sure that it fits the shooter. Length of pull, pitch and comb height and weight. Make sure it can be comfortably shot in the off-hand position. If it can, the shooter will shoot it well from a rest.

Offline HuntingGirl2005

Re: Recoil and little ones?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 05:29:34 AM »
Quote from: nixsrs93
All,

I am considering a rifle for my three children to take their first deer(s) with. Can you look at the list below and let me know if I have the recoil on the calibers ranked correctly? I am assuming a 7 lb scoped rifle and at least a 100 grain bullet:

lightest recoil

243 win
7-30 waters
257 roberst
260 rem
25-06
7mm-08

I dont really know that much about guns, for i am only 10...   :-D

Most recoil

Any thoughts as to the best caliber for little ones?
Jasmine Alexis Kay Smith

Offline flintlock

Recoil and little ones?
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 06:02:56 AM »
You have the correct one listed at the top of the list...that's all you need. :wink:

Offline MS10point

• Avid Poster
Recoil and little ones?
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 08:17:48 AM »
You can't go wrong with the .243. I have used one since I was 9  (I'm 40 now) I have other guns but sometimes I still enjoy hunting with my .243
My son started with an NEF .243 when he was 7. When he was 10,  I moved him up to a Model 7 Rem. 7mm-08. It is also a great rifle but has a bit more recoil.
 The main thing is to get them comfortable shooting in general. Start them with a bb gun, then .22s etc. Once they become comfortable handling guns and shooting them , the recoil won't bother them as much (within reason). Also be sure to have them use hearing protection.

See Ya!
10Pt
When life gives you lemons.....go to deer camp!

Offline PEPAW

• Contributor
Recoil and little ones?
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 05:31:52 PM »
I agree with the .243.    I started several little hunters .22, 22 mag, .222 and then the .243.    Once they grow, I prefer a larger caliber, but not much.   The .257 Roberts, .260 and 7-08 all fall into the next catagory I consider plenty for any hunter for our TX whitetails and hogs.

pepaw

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
Recoil and little ones?
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 12:28:12 PM »
You said deer and 100gr bullets at the same time. Pretty much rules out the 308 and the 260, the 7-08 and the 7mmWaters. You must be a reloader? My first two choices would be the 257 Roberts and the 250 Savage. The 243 will certainty work but runs out of bullets at 100grs. The 25 cals are just getting into hunting bullets at 100grs. The 25-06 is a fine cartridge but depending on the kids, may be a bit to violent. What a small kid may thrive on, a big kid might find objectional. The size and age of the kid is not necessarily a good indicator of what recoil they can handle. And it's not just recoil, it's also preceived recoil. That's why I said the 25-06 may be to violent. Of course if you reload, 7mm Waters?, then any on your list could be used. Think I'd go for a min 130gr in 7mm's and a min 150gr in 308. All can be loaded down.
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 07:16:23 PM »
my oldest son 24 now killed first deer at 12 years old was a h& r 44 mag.it was chamber for a 445 sm.he still has that gun the little stock has been thrown away years ago but its ths a good cal. cause i do my hunting with a 445 sm.myself.........my 7 year old has a 5 lb 357 max.on a h&r that will be his first deer gun.....no recoil out of 38s  he shoots um as fast as he can load it ....little noise......and he got good with it........of corse when its a deer we are after ill just replace those light loaded 357 with a full power one and i know from the past ....he will never know it was more powerfull........and whene he grow up it will still be able to fit him .....jb

Offline wecole

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 12:47:29 AM »
I have a few thoughts for this old thread.

It is has been slow to catch on outside of the AR-15 crowd, but the Remington 6.8mm SPC makes a nice light kicking deer cartridge.  Remington makes a 6.8 SPC hunting cartridge with a 125 grain bullet traveling at 2625 fps.  Hornady and Thompson Center make 6.8 SPC hunting ammo too.  A T/C G-2 Contender in that caliber with a youth stock would be a nice one-shot kid gun.

Another option is the new reduced recoil ammo from Remington and Federal in the more traditional calibers (i.e., 308, 270. 30.06).  I got a great deal on a youth Remington 700 in 30.06 last year.  I bought some Remington "Managed Recoil" ammo for my 12 year old son to shoot through it.  A 125 grain bullet at 2660 fps will do the job on deer without knocking my son over. 

Offline Don Fischer

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 07:36:24 AM »
6.8 SPC. I don't know what that is but think I heard that it was a 270 on either a 30 Rem case or 300 Sav case? If that's so, that should be a really good one.
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline wecole

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 11:34:43 AM »
You are correct.  It is a .270 bullet in a necked down .30 Remington case.

Here is a pic of a 6.8 SPC next to a .223 (5.56mm)

Offline forkedpointer

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 05:25:52 AM »
Our 13 year old daughter harvested her first elk this year with a 270 winchester--she was afraid of the recoil--but the problem was solved when we were told to try a shooting pad that fits over the shoulder that the gun butt sits on--it really works well--you can find them in a Cabelas' catalog or any hunting catalog--it straps around the chest  and you can cinch it down as tight as you would like--try it!!

Offline OLDHandgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 04:29:22 AM »
My grandson ( 9yrs. old ) just passed his hunter safety course this past fall. For his first rifle we got him a 7mm-08 Ruger compact in SS.  It fits him really well & he loves to shoot & hunt.  Keep these kids interested in shooting & hunting.  

Offline oso45-70

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 05:59:14 PM »

I think it all depends on the kid, It is up to the parent to choose the right rifle according to the child's build and size which weapon to choose, Another thing is to pay attention to His or Her choice as to what they think they can handle. The main thing is to make it fun for them while keeping in mind the safety factor plus the seriousness of what you are doing. Make it fun for them and they will want to keep doing it for the rest of their lives. I think the list from top to bottem is about right. Good luck and good hunting.......Joe.........
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain

Offline Saloon slug

• Contributor
  • Eastern NC
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 06:53:03 PM »
A .50cal patched round ball with 70grn of 2fg has less recoil then the .243. But as far as centerfire goes the .243 it the most kid friendly one out there
From the halls of Montezuma

Offline Bowpredator

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 01:15:44 PM »
A youth model handi rifle in 243 is what I have chosen for my daughter.  Something I plan on doing and you may want to try this, is I have a friend who reloads and he is going to try and load some 243 rounds down low for low recoil for target shooting so she can target shoot with it without the hunting load.  Then, come deer season, a regular deer load can be slipped in and the recoil during a hunt wont be noticed.  We are also going to do A LOT of practicing with her scoped 22 to get a lot of shooting time in.  I also agree on making sure they always wear hearing protection, not only to protect their hearing but also for the perceived recoil as mentioned.  If they hear a larger caliber roar up close and get scared of it, it is a hard thing to overcome.

Offline william_75

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 08:58:10 PM »
has anyone tried Remington's reduced recoil ammo? though its not offered in 243 they do have it in 30-30 and 308, thinking about getting some in 30-30 to try.  Before that I was thinking a 243

Offline wecole

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 06:34:37 PM »
My son killed a deer with reduced recoil 30.06 when he was 12.  It is fine ammo out to 200-250 yards, and the kick is much lower than standard.  With the reduced recoil ammo, a rifle in an "adult" caliber can be made into a youth gun.  Then when the kid grows up he or she can buy full charge ammo and shoot that rifle for the rest of their life.