Author Topic: New Scope for a rimfire.??  (Read 447 times)

Offline ponydog80

• Trade Count: (0)
New Scope for a rimfire.??
« on: July 29, 2005, 04:29:27 AM »
I am looking for a good quality reliable, yet inexpensive scope to mnt on my Marlin 60 .22    I have gotten used to the fact that my iron sights do not like to hold their position when traveling, and they sure don't like it when in the scabbard of my 4 wheeler.   Tired of having to re-adjust.  So , I would like to know if anyone has a favorite that has worked well for them ?     I use Bushnell on my 270, and my son's 243......we have enjoyed them and they have held up well.   Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Bushnell rimfire scope, and your opinion of it?  Thanks

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 04:46:13 AM »
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you're bouncing it around so much that iron sights won't stay put you're gonna be hard pressed to keep a scope sighted in also. For sure no cheap one will and the mounting will have to be pretty rock solid. Meaning no tip-off mounts. Not sure if the gun is drilled and tapped but if not it will have to be.

As to scopes any quality scope from the big name makers will hold up but the mounting may not if you're knocking iron sights off.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ponydog80

more info
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 04:57:29 AM »
I think the iron sites are just not setting up well.  The small screws that adjust for elevation back down with any vibration, even in the back of a smooth riding pickup....the front sight is solid, just the rear that tend to shift left and right, and again the elevation screw I mentioned before.  I did take it to the local gunsmith for info ......he offered a alternative rear sight, but for what that was gonna be, I could have a scope put on ....that seemed to make the choice for me

Offline coyote 2

• Avid Poster
    • http://spaces.msn.com/members/schwager/
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 10:12:46 AM »
Again - you get what you pay for - but I would suspect that if you purchase a good scope that could be mounted on a mag - rifle - it would hold its POI pretty well. But as stated - bouncing any rifle around with a scope on it - is not the very best of ideas. I have a Super Sniper mounted on a Savage FPLE1 - that had been drug - rolled on - thrown over walls - ect.  and it still holds it POI.
Good luck
Don't cry because its over - Smile because it happened!

Offline two slow

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 12:25:03 PM »
I got a 4x nikon prostaff for mine. it was/is an excellent scope. Its sitting on a shelf with a few other ons now. I ended up putting a 3x9 on it for a little more distance. I keep debating wether I should go back to it or not though.
What is the sense in preserving collectible items just so they can be auctioned off by uncaring heirs for their pecuniary value ? I am inclined to believe that vintage cars are to be driven, old wine is to be drank, and fine guns are to be shot.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 12:59:36 PM »
As stated most any big game scope(1 inch diameter of bigger) will work but I would try to choose one that focuses down to under 50 yards(25 yards would be better) as most big game scopes only focus down to 50 yards.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.