Author Topic: .218 Bee Improved.....  (Read 2794 times)

Offline cam0063

• Trade Count: (0)
.218 Bee Improved.....
« on: February 23, 2003, 01:11:32 AM »
* I also posted this on the Varmint shooters Forum, before I realised there was a wildcat Forum too... Yes I am new here ;)

I am hopefully taking delivery shortly of a .218Bee [Mashburn] Improved, which I have had being built on the Martini Cadet Action. I have some reloading information on it, though none with Winchester powders.

The reason I have chosen the Bee improved is to bridge the gap between my .243 and .22LR... I use to use my .243 for most of my Varmint shooting, however I am now faced with the encroachment of civilisation with my neighbours building homes on their ranches [1 inconsiderate individual built his house 400 yards behind my rifle range]! Now I am faced with shorter hunting ranges on some parts of my Ranch and noise is becoming a consideration and the .243 does boom in these hills...

I will use the rifle mainly for shooting Rabbits, Foxes and at times Crows when they are a problem... To date I have stuck with the Nosler .55gr Ballistic Tip as my .243 round, but am interested to try other poly tip projectiles in the .218Bee Imp... I would like to utilize this cartridge to its full potential and will be interested to hear other peoples experiences with this cartridge?

cheers,

Cam....
way Down Under
Western Australia.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
.218 Bee Improved.....
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2003, 01:27:59 PM »
.218 Mashburn Bee, I.Hollis and Son 1/2 size Martini Henry (From Australia) South African Stienbok

Any questions.

Offline cam0063

.218 Bee Improved.....
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2003, 01:43:15 PM »
Nice pic!

I am interested in Load info, if possible with Winchester powders [winchester is one of the more common imported powders here]? What ranges do you see as maximum for Varmint hunting purposes with a scope and this great cartridge? Just interested to hear other opinions. Are you using a tang sight? I plan to install a Tang sight and Beech combination front on my rifle along with a scope!  I imagine on the Stienbok you were using a relatively heavy projectile?

cheers,

Cam
way Down Under
Western Australia.

Offline Double D

.218 Bee Improved.....
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2003, 03:46:33 AM »
I haven't played with the gun that much yet.  I know it's very picky about bullets, but that is because of the bbl on it.

Winchester 296 is the powder it likes with a Hornady 45 gr. bullet.  thats what I used on the Steinbok.   I also shot a Springbok with the rifle and loads as well as monkeys and ground squirrels.

I have a peep sight on the Rifle right now, but it begs for scope.

I have shot ground squirrels like the one in the picture out to about 100 yards with the peep sight, but it is a challege for my eyes.

DD

Offline Slim Chance

• Trade Count: (1)
.218 Bee Improved.....
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2003, 08:55:11 PM »
Can you get Accurate Arms powders? My two love AA1680 under a 40gr BT. I use a small pistol primer and this powder to get great groups.

Offline Double D

.218 Bee Improved.....
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2003, 12:22:13 AM »
This rifle only likes WW296 and small light bullets.

I don't get hung up on specific powders or bullets. I do have some favorites that  I like to try first.  Lil gun powder and  40 gr V-max bullets for example. My .223 and K-hornets love the V-Max, but nothing likes the Lil Gun.

In this rifle I did want to shoot  52 gr. Barnes bullets, but all they would do was keyhole.  This is a real finicky rifle.

All I can do is tell you is try everything listed in the load books. If your concern is not finding Mashburn Load data, use Bee data.  Start with the middle loading and work up from there to the Max Bee load.  If you don't find a good load by time you get there you need to look elsewhere.

If you don't have Wolfe Publishings books on Wildcats  and Petloads and Both Volumes of P.O. Ackley's books get them.  Ackleys books especially if you are going to play with wildcats.  Don't pay much attention to the load tables in the Ackley's books other for starting loads.  But do read the chapters on improved cartridges.  You get these books from Mike stegen at http://www.gunbooksales.com/

Only change one variable at a time. If you find a need to use some specific powder.  Then build some test load using several different bullets, using just that one powder.

Don't start at max load, most of the time you are beyond the best load by time you get there.

Offline cam0063

.218 Bee Improved.....
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2004, 03:17:04 AM »
Hey guys,

has been ages since I last called in here. No excuse other thant work, too much of it, tho I am rectifying the situation. I came across my old post here on the Improved .218Bee. I ended up postponing it till a later date. The dies and brass here are very expensive and with a gunsmith friend doing the project, who is swamped and still has another project of mine on the go. I thought I would change tact. He found me a .22K hornet on the Martini Cadet action in excellent condition and actually built by himself back in the early 80s. They sure are a neat little rifle...

I have only picked it up recently, which included a few boxes of factory hornet ammo and a box of "K" reloads. I am a little reluctant to shoot someone elses reloads, so am shooting the factory hornets and will reload to "K" this week. I picked up some 35gr V Max projies and will get hold of some 40gr shortly. I have a 1/2 tin of Win 296 and will buy some [ADI]AR2205 asap and have a play around with it. The accuracy with Standard factory hornet ammo is excellent! Hunting and fireforming in the one process is a lot of fun - I am impressed ;) Being a nice day I might nail a  few tin cans from the front yard. adios for now. cheers, Cam...
way Down Under
Western Australia.