Author Topic: I found my mind and it's made up (I think)  (Read 1011 times)

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
I found my mind and it's made up (I think)
« on: August 04, 2005, 03:08:53 PM »
Well, I'm about 95% sure it will be the 280 rem.  This will give me near 30-06 energy levels and will serve well as a backup gun for my 30-06 Savage (or vice versa).

Only big issue will be which one to start off with on a hunt.

For guys like Quick and Mac, these diecsions are easy since they own just about every caliber made, but these choices are few and far between for me.

NEF has 280's in stock (or did I ask about the 25-06? :? ) and I think it will be fun to load for.

Oh ,yes, on the stuck case 30-06....those dies are HARD metal (don't ask how I really know this).  The dies is clear, but after trying to resize about 6 other cases, 4 of which stuck????  This REALLY has me puzzled.  I'm gonna call RCBS in the AM.

Oh yea, the others came out easy (sort of) cause I'd left the neck expansion rod out and used a 1/4" steel rod to drive the shell back out.  This is very strange to me cause I've used this die set to load about a hundred cases with, with zero problems????
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 03:14:53 PM »
Maybe a little surface rust in the die???? Maybe they need a good polishing??

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline cheatermk3

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 03:28:50 PM »
What finally worked to get the case outta the die?

I'm imagining you peeling the brass off the die wall with an easyout.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 05:43:19 PM »
More like a soft punch.  The side of the case looks polished, but I'm gonna try something else before I call RCBS.

The die needs to be polished for sure.  If there is surface rust, it is very fine.

I was at my last resort and figgured if the die is ruined, so be it, but at least I got the case out.

How much smaller than SAAMI dimentions is the resizing dies?  This is about 15-20 thousandths under sized.  Is this normal?  Never had a reason to measure one before.

One thing I did find out was a lot of my cases were way too long.  Stupid mistake on my part, but will NOT be repeated.

Offline rc51kid

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 06:13:47 PM »
I just saw a used 280 in a local pawn shop today.  I didn’t like how long the barrel was but that was just  me.  It is in Atlanta but if you want I will check the price for you.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 08:33:14 PM »
rc51
Thanks but I'll send it off to NEF for a new one.  Appreciate the offer.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 09:26:06 PM »
For guys like Quick and Mac, these diecsions are easy since they own just about every caliber made, but these choices are few and far between for me.

Now Now...as much as I wish I did...I certainly don't all of them...but...I do have a few and I have certainly owned quite a few...I'm not really a collector as a few others here...mine are for shooting and hunting..and so were the ones I've sold off.....so getting another barrel is always a labor of luv...so to speak...I can think of how well it will shoot...and what niche it will fill...or of what it could become...anyway...the 280 is a good one...and should serve you well...for many years...and when the timing is right...you can always pick up a 25-06...so...as the song goes...  Don't worry...Be happy..... :D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 03:24:14 AM »
Handirifle,
The .280 is a great choice. It was introduced in the shadow of the .270's already established fame, and it's popularity suffered because of it. It will do anything the .270 will do, and come real close in performance to the 7mm Rem Mag. It's easy to load for and the 7mm bullet choices are plentiful. I have had a real hard time deciding between the .280 and the 30-06. The nod went to the 30-06 because of it's versatility and ability to take on heavier bullet weights. In the 150-165 gr. weight there is little difference between them. The 30-06 has to be the king of versatility, but the .280 is a great cartridge in it's own right. Good luck with it!
Don

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 06:22:05 AM »
Blue
I would have gone with the 30-06 for the same reasons, except they only come in 22" and I wanted a 26" for looks/ balance.  Besides I have a Savage bolt in 30-06.

That was one reason I wanted another '06 so one caliber of ammo was all I needed.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 06:50:39 AM »
Handi:

If you really wanted a 26"...it can be had in a Handi...albeit at a much higher cost than just going with the 280...When you figure the cost of what Wayne of Oregunsmithing charges for the reboring..and what you get out of it... having a custom Handi..the cost isn't that great... and his prices are more reasonable than anyone else I've checked with....With his deep cut rifling I'm sure it would be a tack driver as well...It's just a down right dirty shame NEF doesn't get their collective heads out of their backsides to offer all the standard calibers with 26" barrel... :(

Mac

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 08:38:37 AM »
Mac I agree with ya 100%

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 11:08:30 AM »
handi'

as big a fan as i am of the .270 Win', you picked what should be the best of the presently-manufactured cartridges/barrel lengths in a Handi'.    no doubt about it in my mind.    with the long-barrel velocity, the excellent bullet development, and the excellent accuracy potential -- i'd have hopes of getting a contest-winning rifle.    each rifle is a law unto itself, but if you don't get a barrel that produces with the best of them, send it back and ask for another one in the same caliber.   i don't expect you to have problems; but if you do i'd expect another barrel to do wonders for you anyway.  

i don't see how you can go wrong with 95% of the hunting in North America when using a long-barrel'd .280 Remington.    once you give it a chance, you'll be leaving the .30-06 at home!     that's my prediction..... if you let the rifle have a crack at a couple of big ones.

good for you,

ss'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 11:19:27 AM »
SS
If I can get it back in time to sight it in before hunting season, I plan on doing just that.  It will have more competetion from my 94 BB 375 Win than the '06.

I REALLY want to get a bear with my 375.  You see my dad and his best friend in Canada, both bought one each.  They intended to take a moose with them.  They tried one year but saw none in range.  By the next year my dad's cancer had taken too strong a hold on him.  He is still alive 5 years later, but much too weak to ever hunt again.  I felt it a privelidge to pre-inherit this gun from him and hope to show him pictures of a black bear taken with it before he goes.

Other than that the 280 will go first.

Heck, with all the smiths making custom calibers for them, the Handi might always be the first gun.

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 12:04:05 PM »
Well, i sure hope you get the bear with the 375. I think it would be great if you could. I wish you the best of luck in your quest.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 01:19:21 PM »
Quote from: Mac11700
Handi:

If you really wanted a 26"...it can be had in a Handi...albeit at a much higher cost than just going with the 280...When you figure the cost of what Wayne of Oregunsmithing charges for the reboring..and what you get out of it... having a custom Handi..the cost isn't that great... and his prices are more reasonable than anyone else I've checked with....With his deep cut rifling I'm sure it would be a tack driver as well...It's just a down right dirty shame NEF doesn't get their collective heads out of their backsides to offer all the standard calibers with 26" barrel... :(

Mac

Mac,
What is a ballpark price for something like that? The deep cut rifling sounds great.
Don

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2005, 01:33:41 PM »
handi'

i am sincerely, deeply sorry about your dad's condition.    we just buried my father-in-law july 9th - so i know how it gets.     he was the finest man i've ever known....    

if we believe and work out our salvation as the bible says, then a better life awaits us.   i know my dad-in-law never gave up faith after seeing my wife, his daughter, healed of deafness immediately through prayer in Jesus' Name.  if your dad is close to Him, then it will all be as intended by God's Good Plan.

i hope your dad is given the chance to hear of your success in the black bear hunt; and i hope you will be happy with that memory for the rest of your days as well.

take care,

ss'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2005, 06:29:34 PM »
Big Blue:  

Cost to do...runs around $250...for the reboring...and an additional $25 for the throating aspects...to get your barrel to look like this...  

without all the warnings bead blasted matt finished and restamped to the new caliber...an additional $50.00...you can check out his prices here...and I would suggest giving him a call to discuss what you want done...http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eoregunsmithing/id13.html  

Do I think it's worth it...absolutely...yes I do know I can have a Ruger rechamberd to bigger & faster cartridges..but..it's not a Handi...and while some may scoff at the additional cost...saying I will never recoup the extra out of it....some of these guys don't think the Handi's are worth the trouble...but will spend many times that amount for their Encore barrels or TC barrels...and....I'm not so sure that I couldn't  recoup my money back...afterall... there have been some recent sales on e-bay that boggles the mind...especially those that are supposedly customized.. those by unknown sources or impromtu parts swapping....I put value on how well a rifle shoots and looks...over a name anyday..and I really think this is one of the nicest looking Handi's I own....not to mention.. it shoots pretty darn good to start off with.....What do you think?  

...It's a completely different rifle now...will I have another one done...you betcha...in a heart beat...and I'll have Wayne do it for me...after the newness of this one wears off some...and probably after he gets moved to his new location...a long barreled 270 is calling to me.....I can hear it clearly... :wink:  

Mac

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2005, 06:47:18 PM »
Thanks to SS and Varminter for the well wishes for me and my dad.  He has just come to know the Lord since learning of his illness.  I know he doesn't have long left ot suffer cause he's had several heart attacks in the last year.

Time IS of the essence on this years hunt.

Mac that is some rifle.  Sounds like you have yourself just about talked into that long barreled 270 we talked about. :wink:   Maybe someday we can meet on a hunt and have a 270-280 shoot off. :grin:

About the money, I agree, it is all on the value WE place on them.  Honestly, I almost had myself talked into selling off the 223 UV and getting a bolt gun in 223, and Savage is about my favorite, it all has to do with wanting to shoot heavier/longer bullets (1 in 9 twist rate).  It's that personal value thing.

But then I read on the Savageshooters forum of a fair number of them having troubles with the new accutrigger not holding its setting.  I had no trouble with any of my older Savage rifle triggers and am not so sure I want to try the new one before it has had time to prove itself.

I'll keep my Handi and maybe someday get a Savage Stevens 223 when the come out with a left hand model.

Offline t3shooter

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2005, 09:14:33 PM »
This is off the handi topic, but since you mentioned the Savage Accutrigger not holding it's setting, I'll pitch in.  I've had no trouble with mine and haven't touched it for over 2 years now (1.5lbs is good enough for me:-) so I think they're quite spectacular.  My 12FV (223) gives better than 1/2 MOA at 200yds, and the trigger's a bg help on that I'm sure. Neway, just my opinion there.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2005, 04:01:18 AM »
t3shooter
thanks for the feedback.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2005, 06:36:44 AM »
Handi:

I hope you get to fill your bear tag with your Fathers 375 I'm sure he would enjoy it as much as you...and I hope your remaining time with him is filled with joy and happiness.My father passed away a year ago last Valintines day after a long battle with cancer...I didn't get to see him off on his last trip...missed being there by just a few short minutes..and I hope it isn't that way with you.Enjoy every minute he has left with him. and allow him to hunt thru you..it will help ease the pain...

Be strong my friend..

Mac

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2005, 01:56:14 PM »
Mac
Thanks for the very true and kind words.  I'm afraid that may just happen to me as well cause he lives in Ohio and I'm out here on the west coast.

I want so much to get one for him and at least send him some pics.  

Here I go again on the Handi....wondering now if I shouldn't just get the 22" '06 barrel and be done with it.  Not sure I like trying to figure "which gun to take" and afraid of too many calibers to keep up on and load for.  It's hard finding time for the ones I have now.

I thinking maybe the '06 barrel and a set of synthetic stocks for the hunt.

Now where did I lay my mind???? :?

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2005, 02:10:16 PM »
Mac,
That rifle is a beauty! Congrats on fitting out to such perfection. Recouping the cost isn't something that I would even consider, maybe my beneficiaries will have to worry about it, but I won't. I'm not real familiar with the .338-06, but I'll have to give it the once over. It sounds pretty interesting.
Don

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2005, 07:35:42 PM »
Handi:  

As much as I like the 30-06...and I do...I would go ahead and get the 280 or the 25-06.. if time and finances are a issue.You could do far worse in caliber selections my friend...either one with the right bullets.. will work wonders on critters from elk on down...and will knock the snot out of any whitetail you come up on...if reboring is a thought...then go with the 25-06...if you want to keep if factory...then go with the 280...either way...your going to come out on top...  

As far as your your timing issue getting back east...get there as soon as you can...and talk with him...let him know your thoughts are with him...and tell him.. if for some reason you don't get there in time to see him off...that he should go ahead and scout out the new area for the both of you... and that you'll be along when it's time...I got to do this with my father a few months before he passed on...I know it's not the same....and your heart is aching....but....as long as he really knows how you feel...it will help the both of you...when the time comes...this you can take solace in...  my prayers are with you both.....

Blue:

Thanks for the compliment...You might want to do a google search on it...you would be surprised at all of the good data and info is floating around the web...also...all of the latest reloading manuals have data for you to savour...even the Hodgdons annual as well...so give it a look and you'll see why myself and Quickdtoo had our 25-06's converted...and the beauty of it is all of this is doable for our Handi's...and with the right 200 grain bullets one can get very close to 3000fps with it...and stay well within the pressure limitations of the rifle...I plan on doing just this in the next few weeks...and have just the bullets to try it on.....just something to chew on...

Mac

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2005, 10:12:09 PM »
Mac
Thanks, words of wisdom (and sadly, experience in both) to chew on, in both areas.