Author Topic: Need help with ID's  (Read 477 times)

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
Need help with ID's
« on: August 05, 2005, 07:02:02 AM »
I came across two shotguns today at a local pawn shop that I have never seen before:

1.  A nickel plated H&R 12 ga. with rifle sights and a compensated barrel.  The openings in the barrel were long slits rather than the holes as used on the Ultra Comps.  Rubber recoil pad.  Asking price was $100.00

2.  NEF 12ga with pallet wood also with rifle sights, but not compensated.  However there was an elongated oval shaped hole on the right side of the stock.  The hole seemed to open into the stock-bolt channel.  Inside of the channel was a plug that was about 2 1/2 iches long.  There appeared to be a spring inside the plug.  I could slip my finger in the hole and push the plug up toward the reciever.  It would rebound on its own.  There also appeared to be a buffer attached to the inside of the recoil pad that the plug would rest against.  The hole look symetrical and professionally done.
Asking price was $69.00 if I recall correctly.

Don't know if the barrels were rifled, the guns were cabled with others and I didn't bother to ask a clerk to remove the cable.  Both shotguns were in very good condition.

I own Tracker II and several NEF/H&R shotguns, but have never seen any with the features described above.

Any idea's?

Thanks,

EVOC ONE

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Need help with ID's
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 11:46:59 AM »
Sounds like a couple of beauties, offer him $150 for the pair and walk away smiling. Unknown on the first but the second has what was called a "speed-feed" stock. The cutout in the stock holds 12,16, or 20 gauge shells for handy access. It is most likely a smoothbore with rifle sights, just the ticket for shots up to 50 yards with foster or better yet Brenneke slugs. If I lived near there they would going home with me right now!!!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Need help with ID's
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 04:14:10 PM »
I do live fairly close and have a terrible fear that if he divulged the exact location of these guns I might be on my way to a divorce. The porting described on the 1st sounds just like my topper deluxe slug, except my barrel isn't nickel. I hope this shop isn't on the Eastern Shore were there is a chance I might stumble accross them.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
Need help with ID's
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 04:22:32 PM »
Thanks for the info, MSP.   I fugured that cut out must have been unique.  It was just too professional to be someones handi work.

I had planned to return tomorrow and offer that exact amount.

I've purchased firearms from there in the past and on each occasion they have come down on the price.  

I neglected to add that the nickel plated one had the smooth black stock.  

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

EVOC ONE

Offline Markus

• Moderators
Need help with ID's
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 05:30:01 PM »
If the porting job is the same as mine It is very effective. I'd say at least 25% less felt recoil. Is the barrel nickle or just the receiver? Mine actually has topper deluxe slug stamped on the barrel. I picked mine up on gunbroker and love it took a nice little doe with it last winter. I didn't get it till late season though. I'm sure it will be my go to gun for deer this year.

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
Need help with ID's
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 05:47:17 PM »
Hello Marcus.

The entire gun is pewter.  I did not look to see if it had Topper Deluxe printed on it, sorry.  I did see that Harrington & Richardson was printed on the side of the receiver.  

I do intend to get up there tomorrow, however if it doesn't work out, for some reason, I will ask the shop owner to hold the gun(s) for you and will let you know ASAP.    

Its not on the Shore. Its out by me.  

Thanks

EVOC ONE

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
Need help with ID's
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 01:48:50 PM »
Well, I was able to get both for $150.00.  Good suggestion MSP!

After getting them home, I was able to get into them better.  They both look real good.  No visible scratches on either.  Bores were a little dirty, but look good.  

Marcus. I owe you an apology, sir.  The receiver is pewter and the barrel blue, as you suggested.  It also has "Topper Deluxe Slug" printed on the top of the barrel.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to shoot both this weekend.

Thanks again for the info, guys.

EVOC ONE

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Need help with ID's
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 03:28:19 PM »
Great deal EVOC ONE!!!! It's nice to see good things happen to nice people. And buy the way if you ever want to sell them and no else is in line, I am there for you!!! Of course I would not want to step on Markus's toes in any way....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
Need help with ID's
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 03:55:32 AM »
Well, if i were to sell them, they would probably go to the first person who expressed an interest.  Just to keep it fair.

But they seem to have fit in very well with the other Handi's in the safe. So they may not want to leave any time soon.

EVOC ONE

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
Need help with ID's
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 12:27:28 PM »
I understand, if they were on my gun rack they would stay there for a long time!!!!....<><.... :grin:

Offline Markus

• Moderators
Need help with ID's
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 04:21:08 PM »
Good deal! Is the NEF with the speed feed stock rifled? I'd love 1st crack at it if it's a smooth bore. As for the topper deluxe slug it's nice to know there is atleast one more guy out there with one. Give us a report after shooting it. Mine will be my primary deer gun this year I'm sure.

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
Need help with ID's
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 08:08:23 AM »
The "speed feed" is a smooth bore.  

Frankly, they both had residue in the barrel, so I know they have been shot.  But after wiping them down there is not a mark anywhere on the wood or metal.  Makes me wonder if whoever had them shot them after the first time.  The speed feed feature looks as though its never been used.

Marcus, I'm going to PM you.

Thanks,

EVOC ONE