Author Topic: Bushnell customer service report  (Read 1989 times)

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Bushnell customer service report
« on: August 05, 2005, 11:13:13 AM »
I bought a 4-12x40Ao several years ago.  It was a sportview.  I know it was a cheap scope but it was all I could afford at the time.  Well the crosshairs split from the recoil of my Remington 742 3006. I noticed that they would not adjust.  I paid for shipping and return shipping plus included the $10 fee.  I have $37 in the whole transaction. They said that it only had a one year warranty when the card says lifetime.  They offered me a banner at wholesale price which was $70 for a 3x9x40.(Not much of a price cut.  I 'm having them ship the scope back to me so I can toss it in the trash can.  No more Bushnells for me.  I have never had a problem with Simmons customer service.  I guess you learn the hard way.  
Email me if you can help
Thanks Tom

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 12:48:42 PM »
Tom,

Sorry to hear about your problems with Bushnell's Customer Service.  Sounds familar.  I'll be watching to see what others have to say about Bushnell's Customer Service.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 02:10:16 PM »
Leupold is the way to go. JMHO :D  :-D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 03:29:42 PM »
Yep, Leupold.......I like my elite 4200, but still prefur the leupold....
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 04:23:41 PM »
Not to doubt your word BUT Bushnell has NEVER offered a life time warranty on that line of scopes. It's a dirt cheap bottom of the line scope and a one year warranty is all it's ever had. As to the cards, they are all the same. They DO NOT state the length of warranty on them. Don't even state the product type, you put that in.

Some thing just don't smell right about this deal. You got what you paid for and are knocking their customer service for telling you that you can't have a free replacement for a many year old scope with a one year warranty. That really ended their responsibility to you. They didn't have to offer you the discount on another scope. That was going over and above what was required and you're bitching about it. Jeez you just can't please some folks.

If you want a life time warranty pay for it in the price of the scope you buy.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jerkface11

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 03:43:28 AM »
Why do you need a lifetime waranty on a scope anyway? I've never managed to break even a cheap used BSA.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 04:03:33 AM »
It may have been a cheap scope but I was expecting bushnell's customer service to be as good as Simmons.  I could care less about the scope.  I will just never buy another Bushnell product.  I have several trophies and a legend. I thought all Bushnell scopes had a lifetime warranty as my card states.  I know you can return any cheapo Simmons and get it replaced.Didn't mean to rustle feathers.  There are a lot of people who make less and don't want a credit card maxed out so a cheap scope is all they can afford.  As far as complaining.....Well We hate to hear bad things about the things we love.  I didn't mean to rustle feathers just thought some of you would have suggestions and you did with rudeness and profanity.

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2005, 04:23:52 AM »
Quote from: jerkface11
Why do you need a lifetime waranty on a scope anyway? I've never managed to break even a cheap used BSA.

The reason for a lifetime warranty is, when you fall down in a rocky river and bust your scope up not many companies will replace it, but Leupold sure will.    :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2005, 04:26:51 AM »
Quote from: theath29803
It may have been a cheap scope but I was expecting bushnell's customer service to be as good as Simmons.  I could care less about the scope.  I will just never buy another Bushnell product.  I have several trophies and a legend. I thought all Bushnell scopes had a lifetime warranty as my card states.  I know you can return any cheapo Simmons and get it replaced.Didn't mean to rustle feathers.  There are a lot of people who make less and don't want a credit card maxed out so a cheap scope is all they can afford.  As far as complaining.....Well We hate to hear bad things about the things we love.  I didn't mean to rustle feathers just thought some of you would have suggestions and you did with rudeness and profanity.

Not one place in this thread was rudeness and profanity used. Being new to this site you will find that we will give you an honest assessment. If you do not like what is said, don't use the information. So settle down a little and enjoy the site.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2005, 11:55:41 AM »
Quote from: Redhawk1
Quote from: jerkface11

The reason for a lifetime warranty is, when you fall down in a rocky river and bust your scope up not many companies will replace it, but Leupold sure will.    :D

Burris will too.  My cousin had his Fullfield busted in a car accident.  Burris sent him a brand new one, no charge.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2005, 05:48:38 PM »
Tom;

I just bought a Bushnell 3200 Elite and had to send it back. It would not work the first time I tried it on my rifle.
The nice lady at the Optic Zone said she called Bushnell and I can get a refund with no questions asked.
Time will tell if I get a refund from Bushnell.

Dennis  :D

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2005, 07:53:35 AM »
I think you should be OK.  I guess the limited lifetime is more limited than others.  The Elites are the only scopes that have a full lifetime.  I chalked it up to ignorance.  I returned a Simmons that I have had for 12 years.   I got a brand new one in just two weeks.  I was hoping to get the same kind of treatment from Bushnell.  I didn't really need another scope, just thought maybe if I'm lucky I could get it fixed or replaced.  I've always heard how good Bushnell customer service was......I just found out they are not as good as others...That's all....Didn't mean to vent or upset anyone.  This is a great site with loads of info.....Keep up the good conversation...... :D

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2005, 01:33:24 PM »
Don't won't to keep kicking this dead horse but I wanted to show this.
This came off the website and mentions some exclusions but does not mention the sportview, banner, trophy, or legend lines.  It made me believe all scopes still had a lifetime warranty.
I just wanted to let everyone know.  I just bought a trophy 3 weeks ago to replace the sportview that went bad.  I was shocked to learn it only had a one year warranty. I am sending it back and I ordered a 2x7x32 Mueller from the optic zone.  Better warranty.

US WARRANTY
In the past our products have had different lengths of warranty coverage. However, since 1984, the majority of our products carry a Limited Lifetime Warranty. Bushnell Performance Optics guarantees your product to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner.

Offline UtahMike

• Rem. 22-250AI Etronx, Bush., 3200 -- 5-15x50
    • http://home.comcast.net/~hale.michael/wsb/index.html
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2005, 08:23:44 PM »
I spoke to a Bushnell rep a week or so ago, He asked me to return the Elite 4200 8x32 with a letter explaining the problem, In my case the scope simply didn't have enough adjustment for my application.

I'll let you know how things turn out the scope was sent off yesterday.

the only other problem I had with a scope was when I dropped my Leupold, sent it back, they sent me a brand new scope no questions asked, much more than I was expecting, my scope was 8 or 10 yrs old at the time.  Could never ask for anything more.

I was able to try out a NIGHTFORCE today. I swear it was like looking thru fine crystal.  I forget which model but a mid range magnification with large bell and Mil-Dot.  Even to my untrained eye, that was the finest piece of glass I've ever looked thru.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 11:18:06 AM »
If it is an Elite model your OK. Every other model is only warranted for a year. The thing that got me was they are not very clear as to which scopes have a lifetime warranty.  The card I had with the sportview said the same thing as their website. I have always heard about their good customer service so I did not think twice about sending it in.  I just hate to throw money away even if it was $37.  I guess I am over it.  The warranty information is misleading no doubt. Bushnell makes excellent scopes, more for the money than most.  They just need to work on being clear about their warranties and it shouldn't cost $37 to find out. I guess I'm a cheapskate....I hope I don't have to buy anymore scopes for a while.  I can't wait to get the Mueller from optic zone.  WE HAVE SIX MORE DAYS UNTIL DEER SEASON!!!!!!

Offline kyhunter308

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2005, 12:56:33 AM »
ELITES ONLY HAVE ONE YEAR WARRENTY...i have a 4200 and thats what it states.....not lifetime...

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2005, 02:06:40 AM »
ELITES ONLY HAVE ONE YEAR WARRENTY...i have a 4200 and thats what it states.....not lifetime...

That is NOT correct. You read it wrong. Elites have a one year no questions asked money back warranty. That's not the full extent of it tho. You have a life time repair/replacement warranty also. But at any time during the first year you can return it to get your money back.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2005, 06:10:27 AM »
Graybeard is 100% right, as usual.....

http://bushnell.com/customer_service/warranty.cfm

btw, I love my Bushy Elites!!! :grin:

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2005, 11:09:11 AM »
The Elites have a good warranty no doubt.  I just wish Bushnell was straight forward about the warranty of their other lines. The paper work with the old Sportview, Legend, and Trophy I own say the same thing as their website. I wonder how many people have been suckered into sending their scopes in just to have them return minus the $10 handling fee they charge.  This is not mentioning the cost of shipping.  A great company of fine optics they are but straight forward and truthful their not.  The Mueller I received is awesome and I hope I never have to use the warranty.  If the other Bushnells I have break, they will not be replaced with other Bushnell products.  South Carolina has the longest open deer season and I'll use my Mueller daily. 3 days and counting....

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2005, 12:20:20 PM »
Man, I keep hearing good things about Muellers.  It's the china thing that I'm having a hard time with.  Are the Muellers really that good?  How do they compare, from a quality standpoint, to a leupold or bushnell?  Are they as good as say a Bushnell elite 3200?  Anyone put one through a hard hunt under terrible conditions?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2005, 07:39:22 PM »
I took a chance because I wanted something else besides Bushnell and didn't want to charge anything I couldn't pay for.  I based my decision on all the good reviews.  I looked all over the net and only found one complaint about the adjustment caps.  The guy received a brand new scope within weeks. I ordered from the optic zone because they are a sponsor of this website and you can't beat their prices.  I paid 129.00 with free shipping. I ordered the multishot 2x7x32igr.  I mounted it on a Marlin 336 30-30.  The scope is well made except the cheapo lens covers.  The glass is as clear as I have ever seen.  I have a Bushnell Legend and a Simmons Aetec; I believe it is clearer than both.  The adjustments have loud clicks and there is plenty of adjustment.  So far I have 30 rounds and no change in zero.  The huge eyepiece is a little touchy but once it is focused for eye relief you are set.  It might be made in Hong Kong Fuey but it is very well made.  I can't get over how heavy it is.  It is built like a tank.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2005, 08:03:40 PM »
I've had a Mueller 2-7x32 Multi-shot mounted on a .30-30 Handirifle and an 835 Ulti Mag, it's back on the 30-30 now after seeing service on the 835 with 3½" turkey loads and is doing well. Went to the range wednesday and shot 20 rounds thru the 30-30, shoots real well, took 5 shots to get it back to a 1" high at 100yds zero and the rest were fired in 3 shot groups. I was real happy with the 150gr federal fusion ammo, too!!

I also have a 4-16x50IGR Sport Dot on a .243 Ultra Varmint and a 8.5-25x50IGR Eraticator on a .204 Ruger Handirifle, both have performed flawlessly in the year plus that I've been using them.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2005, 09:10:07 PM »
theath29803
So I guess maybe you read the warranty info too fast. One of your previous post says the US warranty is life for MOST of their products. If
it is for most but not all, why would it include their cheapest model? And
even if it did, I don't want to send in scopes every 2 weeks. Yea,you can
send some cheap brands back, but who needs the aggravation? I learned
my lesson on a Sportview many years ago, my Dad bought one for a 7MM
Mag despite me & my brother begging him to get a real scope. It would not sight-in due to recoil & then he let us mount a scope.
I like the Elite & better Bushnell's, upper end Simmons, Muellers, etc.
on some guns, but on the ones that I take on an expensive trip, I like
Leo's, Nikon or Zeiss.
I just think it is better to save your money a little longer & get the better
grade Bushnell & so on.
I think it is not reasonable to buy the equivalent of a Ford Pinto & expect
500,000 miles.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2005, 10:19:39 AM »
Most means more than not.  The 3200 and 4200 are the only scopes with a lifetime warranty.  The sportsman, banner, trophy, sharpshooter (I still see these for sale), and legend models only have one year.  Is 2 out of 7 products most?  I don't have a clue about their binos but their warranty for their scopes should state only the top two models have a lifetime warranty. The customer should know when  they open the box or read any info on their website what kind of warranty they have. Your right, I'm done with cheap scopes.  I want to love Bushnell again they make good stuff.  Even the cheapos were good.  I just wish they were straight forward about their warranties.  It's misleading no matter how you read it.  They need to post the scopes if not all them have a lifetime.  Some of their other products are listed why not list the scopes.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2005, 03:20:32 PM »
theath29803
Yea, I know a little math too, but 2 out of 7, 4 out of 7, 3 of 7, even though
this is alot of fun & I hate to quit, since the Sportview is near the bottom,
we just might conclude that it would not running  in the lifetime warranty pack, & as Graybeard said, it never has been.
As I said before, when a company offers many lines from very cheap to
upper end or at least approaching upper end, it pays to avoid the cheapies!
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2005, 08:03:44 AM »
Yeah I guess your right this thread is getting long.  I learned the hard way with cheap scopes.  I have bought my share of them. The worst by far is a BSA.  I didn't even mount the piece of dung the optics were so bad.  I  bought it for a 10/22. No, I didn't try to send it back, just tossed it in the trash.  It was a 30$huntsman and wouldn't even make a good door stop.  I really like my new Mueller and I think it's Muellers from here on.  Thanks to everyone for putting up with my rants about Bushnell and their cover up about warranties. Whew! I'm done with this thread....Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Offline ftstinyc

Bushnell warranty
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2005, 05:41:42 PM »
I have just purchased 3 Bushnell rifle scopes within the last 3 months. One
is a sportsman airgun rimfire scope, One is a trophy 4x12 with AO, and
the one I just got is a 5x15 Elite 3200. The warranty card in the sportsman
and the trophy indeed say lifetime warranty. The registration card you
get with each scope has nothing to do with the warranty. I know this because I register them on line and they tell you that has nothing to do
with your warranty. The card says also that registration of your product is
not a required for warranty activation. The warranty card says your Baush
& Lomb, Bushnell, or  Jason binocular, riflescope or telescope is warranted
to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the
orginal owner. The registration card it says is your proof of purchase in
case you should loose your sale slip. It is also used for confirmation of
ownership. Now the Elite warranty spells out Elite rifle scope Of which you
don't need a sales slip or proof of ownership. You also don't have to send
them $10 either. They will fix or replace and send back on their dime.
So if they are not covering these other rifle scopes for lifetime it is a
indication of fraud IMO.
tinyc

Offline ftstinyc

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2005, 06:00:00 PM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
Graybeard is 100% right, as usual.....

http://bushnell.com/customer_service/warranty.cfm

btw, I love my Bushy Elites!!! :grin:

Tim
Did you look at that list of exceptions from the lifetime
warranty? no where on that list do they mention any Bushnell scope
for other than life time warranty. the only scope they mention is the
Elite special first year warranty.
tinyc

Offline UtahMike

• Rem. 22-250AI Etronx, Bush., 3200 -- 5-15x50
    • http://home.comcast.net/~hale.michael/wsb/index.html
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2005, 06:38:07 PM »
Sent the scope "Priority Mail" on the 9th, not a word, yet.    :(

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2005, 06:08:07 AM »
Just to clear things up.  I was told some wrong information from one of their customer service reps.  They all have a lifetime but with one big exclusion.  IMPACT DAMAGE only one year on Legend, Trophy, Banner, ECT They won't fix it if it looks like it has been the result of a heavy caliber, dropped it , opened it, you know....Anything can look like impact damage.  I think they just give the people with obsolete models a hard time because a replacement is the only option.  My model was replaced with the Banner.  Bushnell finally stepped to the plate but I had to raise sand with them.  Their customer service does need an overhaul.