Author Topic: Pics from New Ulm shoot  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Dictator

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Pics from New Ulm shoot
« on: August 05, 2005, 01:12:30 PM »
Here are a few shots from the shoot in New Ulm, MN a couple of weeks ago. It was a blast, but HOT HOT HOT. My team, the 2nd Iowa Light Artillery won 2nd overall in the cannons. The boys from the Paulson bros. won first in cannon. The pics below show why, that was good shooting. 10 rounds on target in 1 hour, no sight-in shots. Boy it is sure fun to run these guns at fire-at-will pace, Concussion, heat, smoke obscured targets, taste of powder,... all the good stuff. Our gun was a 3" 6lb smooth bore Ordinance gun. Lasered range was 170 yards. It was fun watching some of the big mortars fire. The guys from Litchfield's First Artillery really put on a good show with their 8" Dictator. All the mortar teams shot well.

Joe

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Pics from New Ulm shoot
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 01:59:31 PM »
Great Pictures, Thanks!!!
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Pics from New Ulm shoot
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 02:12:59 PM »
Great pix!

The only one that scared me was the feller loading a round in the mortar with the tongs - hoping that there weren't any sparks!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline John N

• Avid Poster
Pics from New Ulm shoot
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 03:42:42 AM »
All the teams at Camp Grayling used tongs:

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Pics from New Ulm shoot
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 07:13:18 AM »
My point is simply this - if you're in front of the muzzle when it goes off ....

I make it a practice to load the round with no part of me in the line of flight.  Sometimes it takes some special tools (U shaped ram rods) most of the time it's just keeping clear.

Maybe overly precautious, but then again  ....
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
Pics from New Ulm shoot
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 02:09:05 PM »
In the picture posted by John,  the man is loading well from the side and not with his entire chest in front of the tube. Even the 8" can be loaded reasonably safe with the tongs by swinging the round in from the side.

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Pics from New Ulm shoot
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 03:31:09 PM »
Dictator (Joe)....thanks for the great pictures.  Looks like you did quite well with that digital camera.  You were certainly lucky to "fall in" with that group of Iowa cannon shooters.  Hey, now don't tell me that was HOTTER than it was at the Casper shoot??  I know that it would have been more HUMID at New Ulm...Keep those pictures coming.  Blaster (Bob in So. CO)
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Pics from New Ulm shoot
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2005, 03:37:16 PM »
Quote from: guardsgunner
In the picture posted by John,  the man is loading well from the side and not with his entire chest in front of the tube. Even the 8" can be loaded reasonably safe with the tongs by swinging the round in from the side.

That one did look like the fellow was a little more offset.

GOOD!  Sometimes one looses depth perception when viewing pictures taken from some distance.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Dictator

• Avid Poster
Pics from New Ulm shoot
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2005, 03:57:22 AM »
HI Blaster Bob,
 Ya but Casper was only 95 degree dry heat  :grin:  but New Ulm was 100 w/ 100% humidity :shock:. The one thing about the atmosphere difference was the effect on the trajectories and powder burning. It made our gun shoot much lower with the same sight setting we used in Casper. The mortar guys really saw it. The first few mortar rounds brought loud calls for "MORE POWDER". It was still a lot of fun. Especially when we could fire at will. The guns were firing all around you, up & down the line. The smoke, in that heavy air, was incredible. It just hung in the air, often making sighting challenging. We were going to be at the live shoot in Gillette, Wy on Labor Day, but that shoot has been canceled this year. We may be shooting at some other location. If so, I'll let you know if it will be in your neighborhood.

Joe

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Pics from New Ulm shoot
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2005, 10:41:42 AM »
OK Dictator Joe....please do keep me posted on any shoots in my general area.  Enjoy that Iowa heat/humidity.  In a couple weeks, I'll be exposing myself to it.. YUK!!  Blaster (Bob in So. CO)
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Pics from New Ulm shoot
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2005, 11:34:47 AM »
Quote from: blaster
OK Dictator Joe....please do keep me posted on any shoots in my general area.  Enjoy that Iowa heat/humidity.  In a couple weeks, I'll be exposing myself to it.. YUK!!  Blaster (Bob in So. CO)

Should be in time for at least ONE of the various corn-fests though!
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline entsminger

• Avid Poster
Paulson Brothers?
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 02:22:04 AM »
I just came across this thread and being facinated with the Paulson Brothers and their cannon making ability and collection I was wondering if the "boys from Paulson Brothers" mentioned above were the actual brothers or some folks who work for them? Any time I see pictures of someone shooting big mortars I'm in awe.

Scott

Offline Dictator

• Avid Poster
Pics from New Ulm shoot
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 01:13:35 PM »
Hi Scott,
 Paulson's got to the shoot just before we began the timed event, so I didn't have time to talk to them. They had several guys at the shoot, but not ever having met the brothers in person, I don't know if they were there, or had someone else shooting on that day for them. The top picture I posted is me and my target w/ a 6 lb smoothbore Ordinance gun shown in the pictures below the top 2. The next one down is one of their crew that day with their target. By the way, that was 10 shots in 1 hour timed at 180 yards. They were shooting a 6 lb rifled Parrott I believe.

Joe

Offline pyro_tek

Pics from New Ulm shoot
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 04:21:05 PM »
And to think I've just been going to New Ulm to visit the good folks at August Schell's. Are there other shoots there this year?