Author Topic: 7.62x39 . . . ?  (Read 598 times)

Offline Old Griz

• Trade Count: (0)
7.62x39 . . . ?
« on: August 05, 2005, 05:05:02 PM »
:cb2: OK, ignorant question time again. Magnum Research makes the BFR in .30-30. Would it be possible to make one in 7.62x39? I don't know the chamber pressure, etc., etc., etc. of the 7.62, or if it could even be done. I'm gonna pass on the .30-30, but with all the cheap 7.62 ammo out there, I'd have to get one in that caliber just for fun.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Greeenriver

• Avid Poster
7.62x39 . . . ?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 02:40:19 PM »
I think about anything can be made if a person want's it bad enough.  However, the 30-30 is a rimed case, works well in a revolver cylender, 7.62X39 is a rimless case, don't work so well in a revolver cylender.

The 9mm and 40S&W are rimless casses that headspace on the case mouth, and they have been made to work in Single Action revolvers without the need of "Moon" clips, no reason the 7.62X39 couldn't be made to work in a 30-30 length cylender.  Anything  that will handle the 30-30 should be strong enough for the 7.62X39 and with the abundence of surpless ammo, should be fairly inexpensive to shoot.

Why not give them a call and see if it's available, or even if they would consider it??

Greeenriver(Shot a BFR in 45-70 once with Black Powder loads on a still day. Hid the targets after the first shot and for a Looooonnnnngggg time!!!!!  Was very impresive!!!)
Most of life's problems can be handled by a sutiable application of high explosives

Offline Ray P

7.62x39 . . . ?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 04:16:00 AM »
Would it be possible to make one in 7.62x39?

As a project, I think you'd need a new barrel in addition to reaming out chambers in a new cylinder.  The fit of the .311 caliber russian bullet would be a bit tight in a barrel made for a .308 bullet, wouldn't it?
TANSTAAFL

Offline Savage

7.62x39 . . . ?
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 05:51:34 AM »
Seems simple enough, I'm sure the good folks at Magnum Research would would consider bullet dia. if they elected to include this chambering in their line. I'm not a fan of the huge revolvers myself, but a 7.62x39 would make sense if the rimless thing could be overcome.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Old Griz

7.62x39 . . . ?
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 07:05:14 AM »
:cb2: I talked to the folks at Magnum Reasearch. I should have saved their response, but they were very nice and helpful, and explained the problems of the bottlenecked cartridge and why it would't be feasible. Their Customer Service responded very quickly, even to dumb questions like mine!
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Ray P

7.62x39 . . . ?
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 08:26:39 AM »
Whoops!  Thought at first this was being proposed as a home or gunsmith project.  Missed the part about it raising the idea to M-R.
TANSTAAFL

Offline Old Griz

7.62x39 . . . ?
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 01:36:50 PM »
:cb2: About any home project more complicated than cleaning is beyond me. Savage had a good idea since MR likes to make revolvers in rifle calibers, so I thought it would be a good idea to ask them. I knew it was gonna be the only way I'd ever have one was if someone put it into production. Looks like that ain't about to happen. Oh well, I'll get over it. Wish I had time to shoot what I already have!
Griz
<*}}}><