Author Topic: New USH 12  (Read 468 times)

Offline cavdog

• Trade Count: (0)
New USH 12
« on: August 07, 2005, 05:28:11 PM »
Just bought  a new USH 12 to hunt on Ft Gordon(Slug Only). Since it has been a while and did not want to invest much at first to see if this old body can get back into the swing, I put a BSA Red Dot on it. Will take it to the range next week to try some different sabots and see how the different brands do, and sight in. I am not too familiar with sabot shells, mostly done handgun shooting and lots of M4 shooting in 3rd RGR BN. Most of the posts here talk about the recoil as being heavy (can't believe it because the thing is heavy as a monster to me) but experience is experience. Questions: I have the opportunity to sight in at 50 or 100 due to range constraints. Most of my pre-scouting leads me to believe that 40 yds will be the max shot, should I try 100 or stay with 50yds? Also, since the BSA is relatively low quality, should I stick with low recoil advertised sabots, could the recoil send my wally-world red dot into the trash heap? Don't care my self about recoil, I weigh 275 and am not too concerned. I'll be sore for certain, but I am sure I will pull through :-)
If I stay with low recoil sabots, what three or so brands of slugs should I take to the range to get feel of what shoots best? Also, despite the Monte stock, the cheek-to-stock weld feels low due to the seemingly high mount of the BSA. Is there an after market pad that is cheap for the stock so that  
I get a more natural aimpoint and weld? Sorry for all the questions, as you can tell I a bit a of a newbie where slugs and hunting are concerned.
CAVDOG
Oderint Dum Metuant
[/b]

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
New USH 12
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 05:55:29 PM »
First off welcome and congrats on the new gun. The weight does cut the felt recoil down considerably. A big ole boy like you should have no ill effects from it. I don't have one of these yet my self but use the search feature or look back through the threads and there is a ton of info on various ammo and range reports. the last 5 deer I've taken have been with the federal 2 3/4" with the barnes expanders. All oh them have literaly dropped in their tracks. The last one was shot with my topper deluxe slug gun at aroud 50 yards or so. Welcome to the board.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
New USH 12
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 03:08:55 AM »
Welcome to Graybeard's CavDog...Glad to hear that you purchased an USH 12GA...You will love that gun.  I would try all different sabots and see how that BSA site holds up.  I sighted my USH in with Winchester BRI Sabots that are reasonably priced and then switched to Partition Golds for my actual hunting sabot.  I saved a few bucks doing it that way.  I would check that site regularly when dialing it in to make sure that nothing is wrong with it.  I have a BSA red dot on my Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter 44Mag and it hasn't dumped on me after several hundred of rounds.

Here is a link to an item that might help you raise the comb on that stock:

I don't know if that will help you or not...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline cavdog

• Trade Count: (0)
Thanks for the reply and welcome
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 06:07:51 PM »
Will defintnitly try the BRI and that stock pad is exactly what I think I might need to get the cheek to stock weld right. Maybe it is because I am so used to an M4 with an ACOG (and nose touching the charging handle to boot, sort of an old soldier as far as that is concerned) that makes it feel awkward at this point. I will also search the old channels for data on ballistics and other loads. Good to see the the BSA is likely to hold up as well.  

Went looking for some deer sign today (first scouting trip on Ft Gordon) and found some bedding areas and game paths down to a rivulet. Had some help from a buddy that is keeping me straight.  

Will try to post my results with the different sabots for others to see as well.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Cavdog
CAVDOG
Oderint Dum Metuant
[/b]