Author Topic: Lead Respirator?  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Boge

• Trade Count: (0)
Lead Respirator?
« on: February 23, 2003, 02:44:52 PM »
I had read on the old shooters.com website whereas some fellows were recommending a lead respirator during casting. Where can I find a good one? Thanks.

Offline kenjuudo

Lead Respirator?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2003, 07:37:57 AM »
Boge, I have been told by my daughter (masters degree in chemistry) that lead doesn't vaporize until 1200 degrees. The risk of inhalation is minimal, you're more at risk through ingestion if you eat, drink or smoke before thouroghly washing your hands.

Having said that, I still use a small squirrel cage fan I rigged up years ago with a length of dryer duct to exhaust the fumes out of the garage. It has a piece of flexible exhaust pipe from the auto parts store on the intake side that can be bent as needed to put it over the pot. And the vinyl dryer duct goes out the door.

Makes me feel better and sucks the fumes from fluxing out side.

jtb
the worst thing you can do about something you don't like is nothing

Offline John Traveler

lead fumes
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2003, 10:03:46 AM »
kenjuudo and others:

I too have a chemistry background and I agree.  Lead fume inhalation is a non-problem with bullet c asting temperatures.  The real value of a face masks is for workers in a lead DUST environment, where health hazards from lead dust particulates is a real problem.

The fumes that you smell when bullet casting are mostly impurities that burn off or scorch at lead melting temperatures.  They include oils, dirt, and grease, etc that would normally smell bad even if you were not melting lead.

An exhaust fan or better yet, casting outdoors is a good idea for that reason.
John Traveler

Offline Boge

Lead Respirator?
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2003, 12:51:54 PM »
You know, you fellas sure made me feel better!! :grin:  By the way, I do cast outside.  Thanks a lot fellas!!!