Author Topic: HANDI GREED!  (Read 1017 times)

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
HANDI GREED!
« on: August 08, 2005, 10:37:24 AM »
Well, I got my barrel discount order forms in the mail today and gave it a look over.  I didn't realize that it's only $10 PER FIREARM shipping so that helps.

Lets see....according to the discount
280 barrel $95
25-06 barrel $92
Fitting for either$0
return shipping $10
Total $197

The look on the bull elks' face when a 210gr Nosler Partition hits him at 2700-2800fps......Priceless!

It is REAL tempting to get both and hold onto the 25-06 barrel till the money comes in and send it off for the rechamber.   This crap is REAL addicting!

Of course this DOES mean putting another major project (My hunting trailer to tow behind my Jeep) back about 2-3 months.

There goes my mind again!
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline safetysheriff

• Trade Count: (0)
HANDI GREED!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 10:44:14 AM »
handi'

you are, i believe, a good christian man, from all i can see on this site.
the last i knew, they were telling us on christian radio to get out of debt because of where this society and economy are headed.  

it's none of my business but you may want to pay down the trailer and then think about how good that feels.

just a thought,

ss'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
HANDI GREED!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 10:50:24 AM »
SS
Thanks for the nice words.  The trailer is one I'm building, there's no payment, it just means postponing some work I want to do.  It's not work that HAS to be done, just want to.

Specifically, change out the axle from it's existing torsion bar Dodge auto setup to a std leaf spring setup but with wheels that match my Jeeps and privide more ground clearance.

They are both WANT to DO projects.  If it were a payment thing, I'd agree with you 100%.

Offline JPH45

HANDI GREED!
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 12:22:12 PM »
Would coils work?
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
HANDI GREED!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 01:19:54 PM »
JPH
Coils could be made to work but I'd have to design and build the whole system.  I have thought of that and it get complicated pretty quick, with upper and lower arms, etc.

I can get a leaf system, with hubs delivered for $170 but I have to save my pennies.  Especially since my wife just quit her job (at my request) so money is a bit tighter until we make the necessary adjustments.

I even looked into the rubber torsion type but each has it's own drawbacks.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
HANDI GREED!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 07:38:23 PM »
Handi:

I'll tell you what my good wife always tells me..." Everything for a reason"...I always thought this was a bit contrite...until I really started thinking things thru...and came to an understanding with the true meaning of it...it kinda goes hand in hand with the saying..." If it's meant to be ...it will be..."...only you can decide which you want more and which has more meaning for you...and...if the timing is right...you'll have all 3...by the time you need them...so...stop fretting over it...and figure out the timing of when you need your trailer done...and if the finances will be there...if not...go for the one you want the most...and shoot it...

One last thing...the so-called experts say to cleanly take elk...a bullet must have 1500ft.lbs of energy...a 25-06 Handi can have this with the 120 grain partition at 350 yards....60 grains retumbo...Nosler partition...26" barrel...= 3050fps...at 30 degrees 7000ft elevation...run the numbers thru point blank...10" kill zone...350 yards 1513ft.lbs...400 yards...1404 ft.lbs...350 yards...2.61" low...400 yards...8.3" low...

I'm not advocating shooting elk at that distance...but...getting closer...the numbers climb significantly even more...I wouldn't hesitate to use it...after all...you'll be using a single shot...and making the first shot count...not like some others " spraying and praying they connect"

Just some more food for thought... :wink:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
HANDI GREED!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 08:40:58 PM »
Sounds like either one will do them in.  Thanks for the advice and info Mac.  I always tll my daughter a similar one, "all things work together for those that love the Lord" and so they will.  I am really thinking the 2 barrel idea might be the ticket.

Got to think a bit more.

Offline jmckinley

• Contributor
HANDI GREED!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 12:34:56 PM »
:D   Handi I understand the feeling. I have a 223 fluted, just bought a 25-06 and now i'm trying to justify a couple more of these fine rifles. I will e using my 25 on speed goats and deer and finally on a cow elk hunt. The deer and goats will  be hyunted loading a Ballistic Silver Tip and the cow with the Nosler partition. Now I have to thing on the next couple I get. Really dont need them but a boy must have his toys. Hope you enjiy wour new toys!
                                  God Bless,
                                    Jess :grin:
Jess

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
HANDI GREED!
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 02:34:04 PM »
Well it's done!

I sent it off just today for a new 280 barrel.  Nothing else.  I have other priorities.

Mac
Thanks for the thoughts.  I sent it Priority mail (cost $18.95 insured (CA to MA is a long way)) with a return receipt requested and insured for $250, just in case.

Gonna give the 7 mm party a try.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
HANDI GREED!
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 12:42:35 AM »
Nothing wrong with that...after all...it is a Handi :wink:  :D

Mac

Offline safetysheriff

HANDI GREED!
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 11:28:01 AM »
handi'

i'd guess that odds are in your favor to get a lot of good shooting and hunting out of that .280 Remington.     i think it's one of the most underrated cartridges produced by the factories.

good hunting to you,

ss'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Mike White

HANDI GREED!
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 05:14:26 PM »
I have witnessed the accuracy of the .280 handi. My freind has one and three weeks ago we went to the range to test it out. At 100 and 200 yards it was dead on, he was shooting very tight groups. I don't know the exact dimensions, but they were real close. Right before we left he decided to try it out on the 40yd range, just to see what it was doing at short range. Three bullets, all touching... Was very impressive to me.
USAF Active Duty

My Rifles
Remington Model 600 in 6mm Remington
Remington Model 700P in .308 Winchester
Remington Model 788 in .22-.250

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
HANDI GREED!
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 05:48:03 PM »
Mike thanks for the report.  It is basically the same thing I have always heard about the 280 Handi.  Hope mine is the same.

SS
I hope to find out.
One thing that puzzles me greatly, though, is the Hodgdons loading manual, and the speer, report top speed of a 140gr from the 280 is right around 2800-2900.  Yet many of the factory loadings exceed 3100.

Is it an accurate guess to assume they are finally pushing the 280 where it should have been?

Mac
Of course!

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
HANDI GREED!
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 06:32:19 PM »
Yep,

I have been thinking about the .280  :?

Norse

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
HANDI GREED!
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 07:39:15 PM »
Handi:

The  Hodgdon manuals are showing SAMMI loads and using off the shelf cannister powders and 24" tubes...some of the newer factory loads...have special blended and duplex loads in them...of which we don't have access to...but we do have that nice 26" barrel to shoot it from... :D

Mac

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
HANDI GREED!
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005, 07:56:24 PM »
I've read of some here getting velocities similar to factory loads.  It seems to me the real top level should lie somewhere between the top published 280 load and a 30-06 load.  Still understanding the '06 will always be able to take more powder.

Offline safetysheriff

HANDI GREED!
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2005, 12:07:06 PM »
handi'

get ready for some of the guys to shed a tear, but here goes:

i'd buy a pound of Alliant's Rel-19, and, per their website, start reloading that with the potential to go over 2970 fps which they publish out of a 24" barrel with the Hornady 139 gr' spire point (should be a boattail actually).

they show Rem' brass and a Rem 9.5 primer with 57 gr's of Rel-19 giving that velocity at 58,000 psi.     the 'crying' starts now because I'd load it heavier than Alliant's L-A-W-Y-E-R-S allow, if its accurate and there are no signs of high pressure.    i'd also consider using Win' large rifle primers.   they are so good at igniting the harder-to-start 'ball' powders which are double-based like these Alliant 'stick' powders.

remember, too, the high ballistic coefficient of that spbt bullet allows you to keep pressures reasonable while getting a lot of reach out of that 26"-barrel'd Handi'

Sounds Better All the Time !

ss'  

:eek:

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
HANDI GREED!
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2005, 07:10:36 PM »
SS:

Shame on you :) ...don't you know the Over Max Load patrol will track you down for this :-D  :-D

remember, too, the high ballistic coefficient of that spbt bullet allows you to keep pressures reasonable while getting a lot of reach out of that 26"-barrel'd Handi'

:wink:  Tat's funny  :wink:  I always thought it was the bearing surface that dictated the pressure...not because it was a SPBT :P  :lol:

Mac

Handi...Like I said before...not a durn thing wrong with your choice in the 280...let us know how it shoots...ok..

Offline safetysheriff

HANDI GREED!
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2005, 04:23:34 AM »
Quote from: Mac11700
SS:

Shame on you :) ...don't you know the Over Max Load patrol will track you down for this :-D  :-D

:wink:  Tat's funny  :wink:  I always thought it was the bearing surface that dictated the pressure...not because it was a SPBT :P  :lol:

Mac

Handi...Like I said before...not a durn thing wrong with your choice in the 280...let us know how it shoots...ok..

Mac'

some don't seem to understand that the 'partition', for example, in the Nosler Partition raises pressure in the rifle because it stiffens the copper jacket against the rifling.    i guess my point is, since i'm not sure how you meant the last part of your post, that one can get by with a little less velocity (less pressure) by going to a higher 'bc' in their projectile....such as can be done loading spire points in the .30-30, etc. where it is safe.

for my money,  58,000 psi in a .280 Rem' is not making enough use out of the cartridges capabilities.    sure, it doesn't have to be run at 68,000!   but it's reasonable, in my opinion, to run that cartridge at 62,000 if the rifle is of proper design for such use.    either way, one can increase the reach of his rifle with a bullet of higher 'bc' as long as the bullets weight and construction are proper for the game being hunted.  (naturally, shot placement needs to be proper as well)

take care,

ss'

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
HANDI GREED!
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2005, 05:56:13 AM »
SS:

I know...I was just teasing you...I know the higher BC will save you having to load them as hot to get better downrange velocity....

Mac

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
HANDI GREED!
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2005, 07:10:00 AM »
I am going to start off with some factory stuff, Rem 140 core lokt for one. and maybe theWin Supreme Fail safe, just to test accuracy and have something to base velocities off of.

This will also give me some brass to play with.  But if I find a factory load that really performs, I might not worry about loading for it.  If something like the Fail Safe is accurate, I have no issue with using reloads for practice and factory for hunting, just have to see what works best.  Kinda like the Win white box 223 stuff.

I know reloading is more than likely much cheaper that buying but with me a LOT of money usually gets spent on bullets and powders that don't work well.

I'm beginning to consider the 280 for deer/bear and the '06 for elk, just cause.  Otherwise the old '06 gets dusty, and I'm the kind of guy that doesn't really like to keep up on too many guns/calibers.  I came REAL close to just ordering a 30-06 barrel and being done with it.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
HANDI GREED!
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2005, 07:37:53 AM »
Handi:

Just polish the chamber...and hand lap the bore in it  real good before shooting anything thru it...and you'll be happy camper...heck...you always have the option of rebarrling your bolt gun to what ever cartridge suits ya...ya know :agree:

Mac

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
HANDI GREED!
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2005, 02:46:46 PM »
True true.

My brother and I are comtemplating an African trip sometime in the future and a bolt 338-06 might be real nice over there.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
HANDI GREED!
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2005, 03:02:31 PM »
And whatcha got against a .338-06 single shot???? :grin:  If Boddington and his daughter can take buff with single shot 405 winchesters, a .338-06 oughta be just right for those other smaller critters like lion, kudu and such!!!! Course there's always the PH with a 600 NE backup!!!! :oops:

http://graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=40371&sid=19f4323ef88ba7ff39d45f0f186936a3

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ammunition/bully_041805/index.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain