Author Topic: Slug barrel advice...  (Read 778 times)

Offline Moonlitin

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Slug barrel advice...
« on: August 10, 2005, 08:34:57 AM »
I want to get a slug barrel to use this fall.  I already have a couple of NEF Pardners, so I thought a Tracker II barrel would be cool for only $58.  After I checked into that option, I realized that it would be more like $93 after shipping and fitting.  I soon talked myself into a new Tracker II for $132.78 at Wal Mart.  But for only a little more I could get an Ultra Slug Hunter at Wal Mart for $184.62.  Then I thought, why not go all out and get the Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe for $227.62?  If I got the USH or USHD I would need a scope too.

I went from spending $58, to $93, to $132.78, to $184.62, to $227.62...and then I would still need a scope.

So...I stopped myself before I did anything too crazy, and now I'm trying to decide what I really want.  First question...Tracker II or Ultra Slug Hunter?  Next question...TrackerII barrel or a new gun? OR...USH or USHD?

My questions for you guys are:

1.  I think the forend on my 20 gauge Pardner will fit on a 20 gauge Tracker II barrel, is that correct?  Only the Ultra Slug Hunter barrels require a special forend...right?

2.  I'm assuming that the USH would group a little better because of the scope instead of the open sights...is that true?

3.  How do you guys like the sights on the Tracker II?

4.  What kind of scope (make, model, power) is most popular for use on the Ultra Slug Hunter?

5.  20 gauge or 12 gauge?

Thanks

Moonlitin

Here's a picture of my three Pardners.  I think a Tracker II barrel would look cool on one of those camo green laminate stocks.  On the other hand, a nice new Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe would be a nice addition to the family.

Offline GrampaMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Slug barrel advice...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 10:33:15 AM »
Moonlitin:  I have the Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe with a Bushnell Trophy 1.75-5 x 32mm ($94 The Optic Zone).  Its a perfect combo.  4.1 inches of eye relief too.  Mike
Grampa Mike
U.S. Army Retired

"Say what you mean, mean what you say"
Father of 2 GREAT sons, and 9 grandchildren.

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
Slug barrel advice...
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 03:52:26 AM »
I have the USHD in 20 ga and the tracker II in 12 ga and I like them both.  I usually use the scoped 20 ga when sitting in a stand or hunting open areas and the tracker for walking.  I don't really care for the sights on the tracker II but they work.  You are correct about your forend not fitting the USH barrel.  The 20 ga USH barrel is actually a 12 ga blank and the 12ga USH is a 10 ga so a special forend is required.  There is a pretty big difference in weight between the USH and tracker barrels so how you plan to hunt may help you decide.  If you buy a whole gun the 12 USH is a 10ga frame so only 10 ga (or 12 ga USH) barrels can be fitted.  If you buy it as a tracker or USH 20 ga you can add huntsman ML barrels and any shotgun barrel except 10 ga or 12 ga USH.  I believe some of the USH and USHD's are built on an SB-2 frame which would also allow the addition of rifle barrels.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Slug barrel advice...
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 07:08:51 AM »
If you want to use open sites then I would opt for a new Tracker II and if you want to use a scope then I would opt for a new USH Deluxe.  A month down the road you will forget that you paid for an entire gun instead of just ordering a barrel.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Slug barrel advice...
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 04:28:49 PM »
There is a difference between the sb2 rifle receiver and the sb2 shot gun receiver. The sb2 shotgun receiver will only accept 10ga barrels and 12ga ultra slug barrels.For my recommendation I'd need to know how are you planning to hunt? At what range and recoil tolerance.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline tommy_tsunami

• Trade Count: (0)
Slug barrel advice...
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 02:23:21 PM »
:lol: Well, I'm more of an old fashion kinda guy, so I like the open sights.  I have hunted for a long time with my Tracker II in 20 gauge and have always liked it.  It's quite accurate with the plain ol' open sights and I've shot deer at about 110 yards maximum.  Usually, they're more like 40 yards when I'm in my tree stand (that was when I lived in Michigan at least, that won't be happening here in Colorado).

I had the USH in 12 gauge, but I hated shooting it.  It was just a beast.  I'll stick with my 20, especially now with Remington's new Core-Lokt slugs in 20 gauge.  They have a velocity of 1615 fps at 100 yards with 1506 ft/lb of energy firing a 260 grain projectile.  I'd take on an elk with that any day!
 :grin:

Let us know what you decide.