Author Topic: New Tree Stand  (Read 575 times)

Offline Crudders32

• Trade Count: (0)
New Tree Stand
« on: August 10, 2005, 12:58:00 PM »
I was thinking about buying a climbing tree stand that was light, easy to carry, and inexpensive. (I know this is alot to ask for)  I will be using this stand mainly for hunting deer with a rifle or muzzeloader.  I saw a gorilla greyback for $170.  It folds flat for carrying and weighs 19lbs.  I thought that it was a pretty nice stand for the money.  I was wondering if anyone had experience with these stands and how they liked them.  Also if anyone know of stands that are comparable that I should also look at.  Thanks.

Offline Crudders32

New Tree Stand
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 09:31:40 AM »
I also saw a loggy bayou transformer in the cabelas catalog.  It was 18lbs.  also folded flat and was around $220.  I am looking at this as an option also let me know if you have any experience with either of these stands.  Thanks.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
New Tree Stand
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 09:36:15 AM »
I like the Summit Goliath tree stands myself. Lots of room and very comfortable and only 21 Lbs.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline BnSC

New Tree Stand
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 10:04:03 AM »
Take a look at the Austin Outdoors Cadillac stand.. Lots of room, light weight, face the tree, no webbing to weather and deterioate... they have severl different models..

www.austintreestands.com[/url]

Offline Crudders32

New Tree Stand
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 07:25:19 AM »
BnSC - How easy is it to carry these stands into the woods.  I was looking at the ones that fold up flat on your back.  I will be carrying the stand into the woods often since I hunt in many different places.  I didn't see that this stand folded up, but even if it doesn't and is still easy to carry I would consider getting one.  Thanks.

Offline loaded4bear

• Avid Poster
New Tree Stand
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 06:10:37 PM »
Crudders32,

Gorilla treestands bought out Ol' Man treestand manufacturing company, and their new climbers (such as the greyback) are based on Ol' Man designs. I have several friends & associates who have owned the Ol' Man climbing stands and have found them to be comfortable, easy to use,  & of quality construction. If Gorilla manufactures them to the same specs, I suspect they should be every bit as good as the originals.
NRA ( life member)
NJ Division of Fish & Wildlife WCC (volunteer)
NJDF&W Hunter Education Instructor
New Jersey State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs (member)

Offline BnSC

New Tree Stand
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 02:38:44 AM »
It does not fold flat, but due to its light weight, it really isn't a bother.  I don't pack mine much, after I get it to the farm, It usually stay out all season.  I just move it around on the farm to different locations.  The load bearing style back packcing straps do seem to work just fine for the times, I've packed it around.  The only addition I would make to it if you intend to backpack it a lot, would be the addition of a padded kindney belt.  

The shape of the stand also allow it to be used as pack frame, if you need to take stuff w/ you...

wish I could be more help...